PDA

View Full Version : Lion Boot disk/disk recovery tools

tigress666
Jul 28, 2011, 02:12 AM
Ok, so on my Snow Leopard disk that comes with my computer it also has hard drive recovery tools and the ability to go into Unix itself.

Anyone know if I create a Lion boot disk if it will have the same (or at the very least go into a unix shell?)? I ask this because if something goes wrong with my hard drive that would require me to have the boot disk, I'd also like a chance to maybe get stuff off the hard drive (last time my hard drive crashed the recovery tools were pretty useless as they'd hit a bad part of the drive and refuse to do anything more and just not copy anything but I was able to go into a Unix shell and just tell it directly to just copy whatever was copyable).

I'm wondering if I go to Lion if I lose the ability to look around my hard drive if it crashes enough it won't start up my computer but not enough that I can't get it to spin and be at least readable (That's usually what happens when my HD drive fails in my experience. I've been lucky enough not to have a complete failure. I at least get some warning enough to get my stuff off).

Yes, at this point I do have a backup drive but still, it's nice to have that option.

macmongral
Jul 28, 2011, 02:18 AM
an easier way would be to do what I do

get a small ext usb HDD mine cost 40 quid and is a samsung 1.8 inch 160gb unit very small and the correct colour

put a install a Lion install on it ( it works fine ) use that to boot from in a crisis situation

BTW I have mine set up as
Part 1 Lion bootable DMG
Part 2 lion system
Part 3 files for the use off :D

that way you can get at your system