PDA

View Full Version : Phone number on the lock screen?

TNTN
Jul 28, 2011, 03:40 AM
I love that I've discovered I can 'lock screen' before I close my MacBook Air and head-off to work. It's nice to know that if I leave it on the train, someone can't get to all my data.

But I'm also aware that if someone honest was to find my lost MacBook, they wouldn't know it was mine. Is there a way of getting my phone number or email address onto the lock screen?

qCzar
Jul 28, 2011, 03:53 AM
You could likely edit the screen directly. In Snow Leopard it is possible to edit the image behind the login.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7330/screenshot20090903at194.png

Muck around in there and see if any file names sound plausible. I don't have Lion yet but I'll be getting it tomorrow; I'll take a look myself.

(image from this MR post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8413086&postcount=2))

jackapple
Jul 28, 2011, 03:54 AM
In Lion, you can add a custom message to the lock screen—i.e. your phone number:

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and check the option for "Show a message when the screen is locked." Enter your text in the field to have it display on the lock screen.

TNTN
Jul 28, 2011, 03:59 AM
In Lion, you can add a custom message to the lock screen—i.e. your phone number:

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and check the option for "Show a message when the screen is locked." Enter your text in the field to have it display on the lock screen.

Done. Thanks.

qCzar
Jul 28, 2011, 03:59 AM

Good to know!

TNTN
Jul 28, 2011, 04:27 AM
Shame, like the iPhone, you can't have the Mac automatically erase all content after a few failed password attempts.

Icy1007
Jul 28, 2011, 04:35 AM
Shame, like the iPhone, you can't have the Mac automatically erase all content after a few failed password attempts.

...That would be horrible.

Biolizard
Jul 28, 2011, 05:15 AM
'Find my Mac' will, I believe, be introduced with iCloud, probably in 10.7.2, and should offer a similar feature set to 'Find my iPhone'.

wackymacky
Jul 28, 2011, 06:22 AM
Don't let a lock screen give you a false sence of security. Sure some oppitiunist might get stuck but I'd say 25% of those here can get around a locked screen, and even firmware passwords.

If you really want to protect valuable data encryption is the only way.

diamond.g
Jul 28, 2011, 08:01 AM
Don't let a lock screen give you a false sence of security. Sure some oppitiunist might get stuck but I'd say 25% of those here can get around a locked screen, and even firmware passwords.

If you really want to protect valuable data encryption is the only way.

I agree, for portables FileVault 2 should be turned on by default...

dalum
Jul 28, 2011, 11:01 AM
Can you share how to lock screen on the Lion Air? All I can find is using the eject button and, well... you know.

Thanks!

Variant
Jul 28, 2011, 12:15 PM
Can you share how to lock screen on the Lion Air? All I can find is using the eject button and, well... you know.

Thanks!

You can turn on hot corners and set one to put the display to sleep.

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks!

Open Keychain and look in it's preferences.
A screen lock is a click away. Or use a hot corner as others have said.

CyBeRino
Jul 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
Open Keychain and look in it's preferences.
A screen lock is a click away. Or use a hot corner as others have said.

The problem with that (imo, anyway) is that since lion, that starts your screen saver rather than just locking the screen and turning off the monitor like in SL and earlier.

A workaround is to set the computer to require a password to awake from sleep etc and then use ctrl-shift-eject to lock the screen. Incidentally, when enabling filevault, that preference is enabled with no way to disable it so then you may as well use it.