Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I heard that Mobile Me will be stopped by Apple.
Will the iDisk concept be stopped also.
Is it worth saving items to it if it may be deleted by Apple??
Thoughts??
Thx.
Frank

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if iDisk the name will be gone but the functionality to some extent will be in iCloud. How much of that functionality is anyone's guess.

Personally I found iDisk too slow to be really useful and now I use dropbox.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
iDisk will be going... Apple have a support doc out and iDisk is one of the 3 MobileMe products not making the transition to iCloud, and files should be backed up off iDisk by the end of June next year:

"What happens to the files on my MobileMe iDisk?

You will be able to continue using MobileMe iDisk through June 30, 2012, even after moving to iCloud. You should save copies of all files stored on iDisk before that date."

Ditto - loved the 20GB provided by iDisk, but if it's too slow to be useable then what's the point? My 3GB in DropBox has seen far more use - and the fact it links into so many other apps on the iPhone/iPad really makes it essential to me. I just hope the new iCloud storage will function as fast and as accessible.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I have to agree on the speed or lack of of iDisk.
I use it, but not to the extent I had hoped.
Had not heard of dropbox.
Personally, I have created a"group" of emails on gmail, yahoo, and hotmail.
I set them up so I can access them by a group name under my main gmail.
Saving is as easy as setting attachments and sending them to the "group."
Gmail searchability and labeling is very quick, easy and accurate.
I was hoping Apple iDisk would improve. Maybe not.
Frank

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
iDisk is a dead dodo, apple states they have not interest in it or maintaing a filsystem cloud product.

I liked that I could mount iDisk on different OS environments quickly. I never had an issue with speed, though I guess this may be a geographic issue depending on what server you connect to.

Although I occasional use dropbox, there has in the past been significat issues with their privacy policies and data security. And francky I don't quite trust them yet.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
What will become of our @Mac or .me email addresses.
Will these go too???
Frank

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
When iCloud is released this Fall, you will be able to convert your .me email address as well as your calendar and address book to iCloud keeping the .me address. You will loose access to iDisk as well as Gallery though.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
currently i use idisk as a form of FTP. I upload the file and from the web interface of me.com i can share the file. It creates an email with a link to download the shard file.

is there a similar service out there like this? thanks

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
currently i use idisk as a form of FTP. I upload the file and from the web interface of me.com i can share the file. It creates an email with a link to download the shard file.

is there a similar service out there like this? thanks

I was under the impression iDisk made use of WebDAV not FTP. But that's not really relevant I don't think. (It just made iDisk less useful for web hosting with me.) Try using dropbox or mediafire. They're the next best 2 options for mac users. If this wasn't a forum for apple users I'd say just use windows live skydive, which is actually ok with Windows. But it's a bit clunky with OS X.

mrgnsms

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if iDisk the name will be gone but the functionality to some extent will be in iCloud. How much of that functionality is anyone's guess.

Can Dropbox be used like iDisk? I store files (PDFs mostly) there to link to my web site.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I don't understand how the talk of idisk going away tallies with the new icloud storage pricing. Surely that indicates an equivalent of idisk continuing?

or can you only use icloud for apps that sync to it? nothing manually uploaded to it?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I don't understand how the talk of idisk going away tallies with the new icloud storage pricing. Surely that indicates an equivalent of idisk continuing?

or can you only use icloud for apps that sync to it? nothing manually uploaded to it?

I get the impression that it's only going to be for apps that sync to icloud and not for manually uploaded stuff. Also, it doesn't look like somebody else can access anything like you can with the public folder in idisk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.