PDA

View Full Version : LION Shared Printer Issue

danielrmitchell
Jul 28, 2011, 07:00 AM
At work I share a Brother HL-5250DN laser printer, which is connected via USB to a Windows XP box. This machine is running pretty much 24/7 as it serves a database out to several other workstations.

Although the Brother is a Network printer, it's network port was damaged years ago, hence the USB connection.

Previously (under Snow Leopard) the share work just fine. The first time I printed to it I typed it the username and password, ticked the 'remember in my keychain box' and ever since I would never have to type in the username or password again.

Until I upgraded to Lion that is. Ever since upgrading I now have to type the username and password EVERY TIME I print to this printer - ticking the 'remember' checkbox makes no difference.

Does anybody have a clue as to what is going wrong here? Do I have to set up the share differently on the XP box? If so, how? Or does anybody know of fix?

maflynn
Aug 2, 2011, 05:37 AM
Sounds like an issue with the keychain (not remembering passwords) or just a bug within Lion.

Apple updated Lion with regarding to networking enhancing security, this could be a result of that.

danielrmitchell
Aug 2, 2011, 10:35 AM
Thank you maflynn.

I read somewhere that it is possible to remove/reset the keychain somehow, but coming from a largely Windows background I have no idea about where to start.

Can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction? Is there a guide I could follow (that applies to Lion)?

maflynn
Aug 2, 2011, 10:39 AM
Go to Applications>Utilities>Keychain access

danielrmitchell
Aug 3, 2011, 06:32 AM
Thank you... looks like I'm going to have to set aside some time to find the correct entry in there for what I need.

Will report back my results asap