PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] Can't Delete iTunes in OS X Lion

LT1FirebirdSLP
Jul 28, 2011, 08:08 AM
This drove me up the wall for a few days because it would tell me that I can't delete this application because it is required by Mac OS X.

Open Finder
Browse to your "Applications" folder
Get Info on "iTunes" (or whatever application you are trying to delete)
Go to the Permissions
Unlock the padlock
Set Everyone to Read and Write
Attempt deletion again

I ran into this problem trying to downgrade from iTunes 10.4 to iTunes 10.3

SinisterPower
Aug 2, 2011, 10:38 PM
This drove me up the wall for a few days because it would tell me that I can't delete this application because it is required by Mac OS X.

Open Finder
Go to the Permissions
Unlock the padlock
Attempt deletion again

Didn't work for me.

nwcs
Aug 13, 2011, 08:11 AM
In case you're still looking...

http://jailbreakqa.com/questions/55530/a-guide-on-how-to-uninstall-itunes-on-os-x-lion

applemagnus
Aug 20, 2011, 03:47 AM

Open Finder
Go to the Permissions
Unlock the padlock
Attempt deletion again

Thanks! it worked perfect for me!!:D:D:D

Quad5Ny
Aug 20, 2011, 11:19 AM
Quit iTunes & disconnect any iOS devices
Open up Activity Monitor and stop any iTunes processes (like iTunes Helper)
Launch Terminal
cd /Applications/
sudo rm -R "iTunes.app"

Icy1007
Aug 20, 2011, 02:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why delete iTunes? Seems like a stupid "issue" not being able to delete iTunes.

Ropie
Aug 20, 2011, 02:50 PM
Seems like a stupid "issue"

Stupid issue? How about using a less inflammatory choice of words?

I deleted iPhoto and iMovie and all the stuff that is useless to me a long time ago. If I didn't want to use iTunes and didn't want it taking up precious HD space I'd like to know how to delete it too.

Icy1007
Aug 20, 2011, 05:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol, "precious" HD space.

utopianfiat
Sep 13, 2011, 09:34 AM
Lol, "precious" HD space.

Not everybody is a casual user, troll.

Also, be very careful with "sudo rm" solutions... I don't know enough about iLife's guts to know how deeply its roots run in the operating system, but I think Apple has realized that in 10.7 it can pull the same kind of anticompetitive BS that got Microsoft pounded when Windows XP would be crippled if you tried to uninstall Internet Explorer...

Also, "Why would you want to..." is offtopic and doesn't belong in tech discussions. If you don't know the answer, contribute your problem or save your stupid opinion of power users.

Fernandez21
Nov 17, 2011, 12:13 AM
Sweet! Thanks, iTunes has been giving issues lately and been trying to figure out how to unistall and reinstall. Thank you.

sziehr
Mar 2, 2012, 04:50 PM
easy i want to squash itunes so i can re-install it. I am having random crash bugs. I know it is not the library DB as it is on multiple machines around the house so has to be the app / os and not being able to squash it to fix it very annoying apple very annoying

The Economist
Mar 2, 2012, 05:56 PM
Not everybody is a casual user, troll.

Also, be very careful with "sudo rm" solutions... I don't know enough about iLife's guts to know how deeply its roots run in the operating system, but I think Apple has realized that in 10.7 it can pull the same kind of anticompetitive BS that got Microsoft pounded when Windows XP would be crippled if you tried to uninstall Internet Explorer...

Also, "Why would you want to..." is offtopic and doesn't belong in tech discussions. If you don't know the answer, contribute your problem or save your stupid opinion of power users.

Excuse us, Mr. power user poopy pants. None of us will ever dare to question your awesomeness and your professional use of a computer.