PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Launch Your Apps?

Nielsenius
Jul 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
There are so many different ways to launch applications on a Mac. You can use Spotlight, stacks in the dock, Launchpad, a Finder window, or a third party application, like Alfred. It's all up to personal preference. So, how do you launch your apps and why have you chosen that particular method?

You may chose multiple options in the poll!

aeaglex07
Jul 28, 2011, 11:14 AM
i still use the Applications Stack in the dock

Hellhammer
Jul 28, 2011, 11:14 AM
Dock and Spotlight. I use Dock for frequently used apps so mainly when I'm rebooting. Spotlight for everything else.

Ropie
Jul 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
I have a link to the Applications folder in the dock that shows list view. I tried Launchpad but find it too sickly sweet looking for everyday use and I don't like the fact that it updates and re-arranges itself and makes folders without checking with me first!

In an ideal world I would love to get a proper APPLE MENU option back :eek:

hollerz
Jul 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
Frequently used apps in the Dock (I voted other because it's not from a stack, just on the dock), Spotlight for any that aren't on the Dock.

Synergie
Jul 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
Currently using Drag Thing since I am OCD about having things super organized. Since Apple doesn't support users being organized in virtually any way anymore.... LOL. I really do not understand how dumping every icon into one big folder is BETTER??? Launchpad at first sucked with all the junk it dumped in there, but it's better now that Launchpad Control was created! But I am sold on Drag Thing as a dock replacement now... and hid my built in dock permanently using Dock Gone.

applefan289
Jul 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
Erm...Dock and Applications folder.

Antowns
Jul 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
Recently I've found myself using Spotlight.

spincr
Jul 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
I almost always use something thats already in my dock, but other than that i use Alfred to find anything i don't have docked.

Nielsenius
Jul 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
Sorry, I should have put an option for the "dock". I guess "other" will do.

Anyways, the reason I made this thread is because I've tried pretty much every method of app launching out there and I'm always switching around. Many people have complained about Launchpad. I find it to be quick and easy, but very poorly implemented. It just feels cheap and unprofessional. Right now I use the dock for my most used apps, a list stack for other apps, and Spotlight for apps that are located in some weird place. Undoubtedly, I'll be using some other method a month from now.

fisherking
Jul 28, 2011, 11:43 AM
i just put my most-used apps on the default Launchpad page (and everything in logical folders on the second page).

on my macbook, one swipe, tap on an app, and am good to go.

love it.

paulsalter
Jul 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
had to vote other as i mainly use the dock

Hellhammer
Jul 28, 2011, 11:48 AM
I added Dock to the poll.

Mrguidogenio
Jul 28, 2011, 11:51 AM
Alfred and Launchpad.

TheJing
Jul 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
Launchpad. Just trying to get used to new ways of doing things.

GS Owner
Jul 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
Sometimes I use the dock, but as a whole I go to the Application Folder and open whatever I need. Then when I'm finished I close it and remove it from the Dock.

So while text and spreadsheet files are almost constantly open, others like Quicktime are shut off as soon as I'm finished.

chillvisio
Jul 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
Using QuickSilver

derbothaus
Jul 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
Can't believe Launchpad takes the lead. Whats a Finder anyway:rolleyes:

Nielsenius
Jul 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
I'm surprised at the number of Launchpad users. I was under the impression that everyone hated it.

runebinder
Jul 28, 2011, 01:07 PM
Dock for the essential used apps, Spotlight for everything else. One of the first things I did after the upgrade was to remove the Launchpad icon from the Dock and turn off the gesture for it.

Takuro
Jul 28, 2011, 01:14 PM
I think QuickSilver deserves to be a dedicated option on the poll. I've never had a reason to launch an app using any method requiring movement of my mouse. Apple seriously needs to buy out this app and incorporate it into the main OS.

fisherking
Jul 28, 2011, 01:15 PM
I'm surprised at the number of Launchpad users. I was under the impression that everyone hated it.

on a trackpad at least, it's simple, immediate. i swipe, see my apps, click one once, and am working.

i used to use a third-party custom contextual menu, but this (once you ORGANIZE your apps LOL) is SO EASY...

FroMann
Jul 28, 2011, 02:17 PM
I only keep my most used apps in the dock which is Chrome, iTunes, iCal, Mail, and TextEdit. Whenever I need to launch any other application like Games, Utilities, Microsoft Office, iPhoto, Gimp, Steam, etc. I use the launch pad.

ratzzo
Jul 28, 2011, 02:21 PM

Don't they? :p

I use the dock and spotlight. I really cant be bothered looking around for my app on a launchpad I haven't created the automatism for yet.

marc11
Jul 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
I use the new gesture to open launch pad and select the app. But I also keep most of my common apps open in full screen where I can or on their own desktop so I can just swipe to them or I swipe down and from mission control select my open app. Since lion I almost never use the dock now and have removed my stacks and most apps from it. I actually wish there was a way to turn the dock off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECUpirate44
Jul 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
Alfred :D

daneoni
Jul 29, 2011, 07:55 AM
Dock and Application list stack.

CristobalHuet
Jul 29, 2011, 08:11 AM
Before: Spotlight and Dock.

Now: A messy combination of LaunchBar, Launchpad, and the Dock.

Tom8
Jul 29, 2011, 08:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Most common apps in the Dock.
Everything else is Launchpad.

I could probably get away with no dock nowadays, since I always have the same key apps in Full Screen & use Resume to pick up where I left off when I restart

davidinva
Jul 29, 2011, 08:35 AM
I have a bunch of those cheap (and some not so cheap) photography apps purchased from App Store and I created a "Photo Apps Alias" folder that resides on the right side of my monitor (I keep the Dock on the left side of the monitor) and created Aliases for those apps. Gives me quick access when I want to play with those. Otherwise I mostly use the Dock.

icanboogie
Jul 29, 2011, 08:40 AM
Safari, Mail, iCal&Adressbook: Swiping between MC desktops
Most used programs: Dock
Rest: Spotlight

still the best solution for me. I don't use/like Launchpad. Yet.

Franciturci
Jul 29, 2011, 08:47 AM
Alfred, with the superb Powerpack.

Mrguidogenio
Jul 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
Alfred, with the superb Powerpack.

Same here. Te ability to add custom searches in Alfred rocks!