PDA

View Full Version : Holding keys has iPhone effect

Arkanok
Jul 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
Ok so sometimes for whatever reason, I want to hold a key -- for example the "e" key -- to repeat that character a few times, but with Lion I can't do that!

Now every time I hold a key, I get the iPhone effect. What I mean by that is where it shows the different characters related to that particular key rather than just repeating it.

I can't figure out how to turn this off. I've gone into both the keyboard settings and the text and language settings but can't figure out how to turn it off. Can someone help please!

Here's a pic of what I mean.

spincr
Jul 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hm, sorry i can't help you out, but over here its still does eeeeeeeeeeeee.. nothing with special characters.

Arkanok
Jul 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
So nobody else has seen this or knows how to get rid of it?

spincr
Jul 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
Well i know (because i read it somewhere) that it is supposed to do whats its doing at your side. However i haven't seen anything on disabling those features, same goes for a ridiculously worthless launchpad where not even half of the options are working (at least on my mbp mid 2010).

So for now, unless someone has the answers i suggest you contact apple via their website.

singhjeet29
Jul 28, 2011, 12:03 PM
Open terminal which is in the application utilities folder and trype

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

Then restart the computer and it should be let you repeat.

TheJing
Jul 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
Just type this in Terminal.

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

stlblufan
Jul 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
It's a system-wide "feature" of Lion -- not sure how others aren't seeing it, unless it has something to do with upgrading from previous systems.

Anyway:

→ Open up your terminal
→ Enter the following command (no quotes): "defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false"
→ Restart your computer.

EDIT: see now that others beat me to it...good luck!

gentlefury
Jul 28, 2011, 12:08 PM
I still want to know why you would ever need to spam a certain key? There is absolutely no purpose and I applaud apple for finally making use of a useless function!

Variant
Jul 28, 2011, 12:08 PM
I sorta like this features. I just wish that holding the numbers would bring up a short cut for sub and super script numbers!

hollerz
Jul 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
I still want to know why you would ever need to spam a certain key? There is absolutely no purpose and I applaud apple for finally making use of a useless function!

Agreed!

I sorta like this features. I just wish that holding the numbers would bring up a short cut for sub and super script numbers!

That would be awesome! :D

InfinitySquared
Jul 28, 2011, 12:41 PM
Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread! My 10.7 defaulted the the standard spam behavior (and I'm not sure why, I did a clean install), but I much prefer the new behavior. It's a feature I would never have even realized existed!

Needless to say, I meandered on over to my terminal and activated it.

Soliber
Jul 28, 2011, 01:52 PM
Indeed... If you write in a language with a lot of accents, it's a godsend :)