Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
I recently upgraded to Lion and I thought the purpose of Mission Control was to seamlessly swipe between all your open apps. When I use the trackpad and I have more than one app open, and I swipe 4 fingers up, I get the Mission Control screen, but it only shows my desktop and dashboard. If I use 3 fingers to swipe either way, it only goes between safari (desktop) and dashboard.

For example right now I have safari and bit torrent open, if I swipe either way, I only get dashboard. How do I set it up so that I can scroll through all my open apps/windows? Am I just not getting the purpose of this feature?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I recently upgraded to Lion and I thought the purpose of Mission Control was to seamlessly swipe between all your open apps. When I use the trackpad and I have more than one app open, and I swipe 4 fingers up, I get the Mission Control screen, but it only shows my desktop and dashboard. If I use 3 fingers to swipe either way, it only goes between safari (desktop) and dashboard.

For example right now I have safari and bit torrent open, if I swipe either way, I only get dashboard. How do I set it up so that I can scroll through all my open apps/windows? Am I just not getting the purpose of this feature?

In your case, with apps open all on the same desktop (a.k.a. a Spaces space in 10.6-speak), Mission Control is no different than Exposé. If you want to swipe left/right to move from app to app you need to open each app on a separate desktop (or open capable apps to full-screen mode).

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
In your case, with apps open all on the same desktop (a.k.a. a Spaces space in 10.6-speak), Mission Control is no different than Exposé. If you want to swipe left/right to move from app to app you need to open each app on a separate desktop (or open capable apps to full-screen mode).

That sounds interesting, how do I open a new desktop?

Mrguidogenio

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2011
Argentina
Enter Mission Control, then move your mouse to the top right corner. A new desktop should appear there. Click it to add it next to your current desktop.

viscanti

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
That sounds interesting, how do I open a new desktop?

Open Mission Control and move your cursor to the top right of the screen. You'll see an option to create a new desktop. You can drag an app to it from Mission Control and have it setup there. Alternatively, you can simply make an app full screen, and it will create a new desktop for that app. You can then switch between that app (in full screen) and your "regular" desktop.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
Enter Mission Control, then move your mouse to the top right corner. A new desktop should appear there. Click it to add it next to your current desktop.

Open Mission Control and move your cursor to the top right of the screen. You'll see an option to create a new desktop. You can drag an app to it from Mission Control and have it setup there. Alternatively, you can simply make an app full screen, and it will create a new desktop for that app. You can then switch between that app (in full screen) and your "regular" desktop.

Dude, you guys are amazing, that is so cool! That will definitely increase productivity!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.