PDA

View Full Version : Semi-transparent menu bar is gone in Lion?

nanotlj
Jul 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
Since my first use of lions a couple of days ago, I always feel something is weird for Lion desktop but I can not tell why. Now I figure out it is the menu bar. The semi-transparency is gone and I can not find the option usually sitting in the Desktop system preferences! Why, apple? Why suddenly take something way without an option after I get used to the semi-transparent menu-bar?

Jakerz
Jul 28, 2011, 05:06 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/ejhmoi.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/3sdqx.jpg

iThinkergoiMac
Jul 28, 2011, 06:22 PM
As Jakerz pointed out, it's still there.

Mine never went away, so it's possible you or someone else (if it's a multi-person Mac) accidentally unchecked the feature.

jmmo20
Jul 28, 2011, 06:43 PM
It was one of the most hideous things Snow Leopard brought, and was extremely happy when they introduced the option to "solidify" it in 10.6.3/4 or so.

And I was happy Lion kept my menu bar solid..

nanotlj
Jul 28, 2011, 07:16 PM
Weird. That option is missing in my Desktop system preferences.
I am running Lion inside Vmware fusion on my macbook air (10.6.7). I am not sure if that is the reason.

ratzzo
Jul 28, 2011, 07:18 PM
I am running Lion inside Vmware fusion on my macbook air (10.6.7). I am not sure if that is the reason.

Well, that option is there for me, lol.

FSMBP
Jul 28, 2011, 07:22 PM
It was one of the most hideous things Snow Leopard brought, and was extremely happy when they introduced the option to "solidify" it in 10.6.3/4 or so.

And I was happy Lion kept my menu bar solid..

Actually, it was brought in on 10.5 Leopard. And the "solidify" was in 10.5.2. Sorry, Apple nerd moment.

Mareklug
Aug 2, 2011, 08:19 AM
...I discovered that my Nature-themed current desktop on the iMac (they change every 5 minutes) had a particularly washed-out translucent menubar. I went to System Preferences for Desktop and Screensaver and toggled (twice) the above-discussed checkbox. That restored a properly more translucent menubar. A bug, right?

blackburn
Aug 2, 2011, 08:24 AM

I think that's the reason. I don't think that os x supports graphical accelerated stuff under virtual machines. Like when your running os x on an hackintosh without graphical driver support.

bdodds1985
Jan 10, 2012, 12:31 AM
I have noticed a bug as well, sometimes it seem like the menu bar doesnt change with the background. i have mine set to change every 15 minutes and when I enable the translucent menu bar, it gets stuck on whatever picture is first. annoying.

also, I downloaded the obsidian menu bar. I love it, except.... the date & time are not visible and you have to download a secondary app for that. the battery does show but the percent/time do not.

barredfreak
Jan 10, 2012, 06:19 AM
People using VMWare Fusion may experience some problems because of the lack of drivers. The option to solidify the menu bar should be there for all Macs.