PDA

View Full Version : is there a vnc server that does work with Lion?

oililymad
Jul 28, 2011, 05:11 PM
and doesn't cost the earth, I only need a basic one.
thanks

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
and doesn't cost the earth, I only need a basic one.
thanks

Other than the built in free one?

oililymad
Jul 28, 2011, 05:16 PM
i cant find an app that works from Ipad or anything else, that will connect to Imac.

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 05:19 PM
i cant find an app that works from Ipad or anything else, that will connect to Imac.

That would be a VNC client.
I use screens or logmein ignition both work fine for me in Lion. Not free but cheap enough for my use.

Intell
Jul 28, 2011, 05:20 PM

Open System Preference and go to the Sharing pref pane. Check "Screen Sharing" and click "Computer Settings...". Check the "VNC viewers may connect..." box and give it a password. Then click Ok and close System Preferences. On the iPad connect via VNC and give it the password to put in the "VNC viewers may connect..." box.

FireSokar
Jul 28, 2011, 05:30 PM
RealVNC works on Lion, and Windows. For the iPad to be able to connect to the machine you need to disable encryption on the Server side.

throttlemeister
Jul 28, 2011, 05:36 PM

Turn on Screen Sharing under Preferences -> Sharing on your iMac.

Get Remoter (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remoter-remote-desktop-vnc/id369626098?mt=8) from the iTunes App Store for 99c.

Marvell at you ability to control the screen of your iMac on your iPad.

Partron22
Jul 28, 2011, 06:43 PM
Get Remoter (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remoter-remote-desktop-vnc/id369626098?mt=8) from the iTunes App Store for 99c.
I like it, but same as my other vnc-er, it consistently gets the position of mouse clicks wrong when I have two screens plugged into the 2010 mini.
It works fine when I unplug one monitor.
I didn't have this trouble under Snow Leopard. :mad:

Partron22
Jul 30, 2011, 01:19 PM
same as my other vnc-er, it consistently gets the position of mouse clicks wrong when I have two screens plugged into the 2010 mini.Remoter website claims this is a problem with Apple's implementation of vnc. Suggests arranging second display to the right of display one.
That works, as does arranging second display below first display.

When positioned to the left, or above the first screen, vnc mouse clicks are persistently offset by the width or height of screen 2. Unplugging the second monitor fixes the problem.

QuarterSwede
Jul 30, 2011, 01:24 PM
I use Mocha VNC Lite (I don't need it often) and it logs in and shows the screen but nothing is clickable. Something definitely changed with Lion's VNC as it worked perfectly with Snow Leopard.

Partron22
Aug 27, 2011, 08:42 PM
Both 'Remoter' and 'Desktop' vnc servers for iPad have been updated, and now place the cursor, and mouse-clicks in the right locations on my dual-monitor Mac.