Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clank72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Many are excited about turning off the indicator lights on the dock. I'm just curious as to why?

Seems you would have to keep track of all your opened programs that are using resources, running in the background?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Because Apple is trying to get people used to the idea of not worrying about whether an app is actually open or not, since in reality it makes little difference anymore, especially if you have 8GB+ of RAM and an SSD. I think Photoshop is the only app in my dock that takes more than once bounce to open on my iMac.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Because Apple is trying to get people used to the idea of not worrying about whether an app is actually open or not, since in reality it makes little difference anymore.

This. I have them turned off. I have no idea which of the apps in my dock are open. Neither do I care! :D

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I like the indicator lights. However the option to turn them off in Lion is a plus because it gives you a choice.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have them off too. All apps on my dock are running most of the time, so I prefer the cleaner look without the lights.

ViviUO

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
I cant imagine why anyone wouldn't want them on, and I can't understand how so many people are excited about being able to turn them off.

I suppose if all you do is browse the web its great. Otherwise, stop trying to decide whats best for me (and getting it wrong), Apple.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I cant imagine why anyone wouldn't want them on, and I can't understand how so many people are excited about being able to turn them off.

I suppose if all you do is browse the web its great. Otherwise, stop trying to decide whats best for me (and getting it wrong), Apple.

How is apple giving you an option like them trying to decide what's best for you? It's not like you're obligated to have it set a particular way - besides, your preferred setting in this case happens to be the default.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Well apparently, Apple has changed the memory management system of Lion. If you don't use an app for an extended period of time (not sure how long) it will actually release most of if not all of the memory it is using. That is why the dock indicator lights are off by default now in Lion.

EDIT: Just checked my system. I have had iTunes open all day, but haven't used it in >6 hours. It is only using 30MB of memory compared to the usual 150MB-200MB it normally uses.

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England

I use my dock only to show the open applications - there is never anything on it that's not open so the light is just extraneous. I used to turn it off with Clear Dock but it's nice to have an option in the system too.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I like to have it on

my most used apps are in the dock and I like to see what I have open, if I am not using an app then close it

I use numbers twice a month so it is not in my dock, after I have used it I close it so it is removed from the dock as it's not needed

don't see the point of having everything left running just incase you might want to use it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.