PDA

View Full Version : no desktop icons for mounted drives?

unsped
Jul 29, 2011, 12:55 AM
am i missing something here, but if i plug in a thumb drive, external hdd, external cdrom they are mounted in the finder but i don't get a shortcut on the desktop. same thing with downloaded .dmg's

marc11
Jul 29, 2011, 01:17 AM
That is because the desktop you see isn't the desktop anymore, it is a space to open apps. Odd I know. There is a tool listing on OSXDaily that will show the desktop by defaul and any hidden files, which I like, or go to finder, then click "Desktop" on the left side bar to actually see your desktop and related items. But frankly, after doing that, I just removed my icons from my desktop and made my drives visible on the left side bar of finder.

MacManiac76
Jul 29, 2011, 02:04 AM
Go into Finder -> Preferences and on the General tab make sure the options are checked for Hard Disks, External Disks, etc.

unsped
Jul 29, 2011, 04:53 PM
@marc11 - even if i go to my user/desktop folder i don't see the mount icons
@macmaniac76 - it would appear that lion doesn't have that option, at least my general pane doesn't show anything related to those items.

Patrick J
Jul 29, 2011, 05:09 PM
@macmaniac76 - it would appear that lion doesn't have that option, at least my general pane doesn't show anything related to those items.

IT must. Open a Finder window. Now File, Preferences, and in the General tab (first one), there are 4 options. Tick/untick those.

unsped
Jul 29, 2011, 05:31 PM
excellent thanks, sorry i thought people were saying general under system preferences. my icons are back!

Spyd3r
Sep 2, 2011, 06:51 AM
Hello! I've got all this preferences checked - External disk drivers; CD ... & etc - but i don't have icons on a desktop. I've got latest updated LION OSX - what else may cause such problem?

Taz Mangus
Sep 2, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hello! I've got all this preferences checked - External disk drivers; CD ... & etc - but i don't have icons on a desktop. I've got latest updated LION OSX - what else may cause such problem?

Try resetting PRAM.

Spyd3r
Sep 5, 2011, 10:24 AM
Try resetting PRAM.

Tried! But that didn't solve the problem!
Any other ideas?

dakotaspurs
Nov 11, 2011, 04:37 AM
I'm having the same issue as here ... has anyone else come across it?

I connected a new Time Capsule yesterday and their blue drive icons were coming up when I connected to them.

But now they won't come up. I can connect to the drives, but they don't mount on the desktop.

Simplicated
Nov 11, 2011, 05:03 AM
Deleted.

bocciaman
Dec 29, 2012, 03:40 AM
IT must. Open a Finder window. Now File, Preferences, and in the General tab (first one), there are 4 options. Tick/untick those.

This was perfect! Thank you!