PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Apple crapware?

mark28
Jul 30, 2011, 10:20 AM
I used Disk Utility doing a full erase and still the recovery HD is there. Do I have to remove with the terminal or something? ( if so, what commands do I need to use? )

( I'm putting SL on it, that's why I want it gone )

QuarterSwede
Jul 30, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'd imagine you could install SL and then use Disk Utility to erase the restore partition. I doubt you can get rid of it while running Lion.

gentlefury
Jul 30, 2011, 10:26 AM
Why would you consider the recovery HD crapware???? It is the same as putting in an old OS disk, except its extremely fast and always there...I would say that is EXTREMELY useful!

QuarterSwede
Jul 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
Why would you consider the recovery HD crapware???? It is the same as putting in an old OS disk, except its extremely fast and always there...I would say that is EXTREMELY useful!
If he's going back to SL and doesn't plan on using Lion for a while then it's useless.

siwsan
Jul 30, 2011, 10:53 AM

Useful? It feels a little "Windowish"... I have never needed to reinstall/repair any Mac OS X version. Why have Apple all of a sudden decided that there is a need for this?

I deleted the restore partition using disktool on Snow Leopards install DVD after booting from it.

baryon
Jul 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
The recovery partition is... a partition. It won't get removed if you format your system partition. You need to delete the recovery partition and your system partition, and merge them to form a new partition. That way, you'll get rid of the recovery partition.

admanimal
Jul 30, 2011, 11:26 AM
Why have Apple all of a sudden decided that there is a need for this?

The functionality of the Recovery partition used to be provided by the OS X disc, which doesn't exist for Lion. For 99.9% of users, this "crapware" will make life much easier should their system ever need (software) repairs.

OllyW
Jul 30, 2011, 11:32 AM
Where is this partition and how big is it?

I can't see it anywhere in Disk Utility. :confused:

gentlefury
Jul 30, 2011, 11:40 AM
Useful? It feels a little "Windowish"... I have never needed to reinstall/repair any Mac OS X version. Why have Apple all of a sudden decided that there is a need for this?

I deleted the restore partition using disktool on Snow Leopards install DVD after booting from it.

Ummm, it is identical to when you pop in the SL disk and boot off of it...just because its on the hard drive now and not having to search for a disc it's windowish? I think you have no clue what your talking about. The only way to repair disk permissions is with this utility....and if you have ever used a mac for more than checking your email you would know this is a very important feature....only difference is, now it is as fast as your OS...instead of buffering off a slow as hell dvd.

gentlefury
Jul 30, 2011, 11:41 AM

It's hidden, you can only see it in an external disk utility...so either log into it (meaning you can't delete it from there) or boot off a dvd or usb drive (you might be able to delete it from there).

The space required is completely negligible, since it doesn't contain the installer info (which is what takes up space)..if you need to reinstall it will download the latest version.

CristobalHuet
Jul 30, 2011, 11:42 AM
Crapware...

Now I've heard it all.

Jerome Morrow
Jul 30, 2011, 11:44 AM
I used Disk Utility doing a full erase and still the recovery HD is there. Do I have to remove with the terminal or something? ( if so, what commands do I need to use? )

( I'm putting SL on it, that's why I want it gone )

It's a partition, not crapware. Please ...

Infrared
Jul 30, 2011, 11:44 AM

In a Terminal window:

diskutil list

OllyW
Jul 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
It's hidden, you can only see it in an external disk utility...so either log into it (meaning you can't delete it from there) or boot off a dvd or usb drive (you might be able to delete it from there).

The space required is completely negligible, since it doesn't contain the installer info (which is what takes up space)..if you need to reinstall it will download the latest version.

In a Terminal window:

diskutil list

Cheers. :)

I see it's only 650 MB, no wonder I hadn't noticed any missing disk space.

mark28
Jul 30, 2011, 12:11 PM
In a Terminal window:

diskutil list

Thanks, managed to get rid of it :)

gentlefury
Jul 30, 2011, 12:16 PM
If you type:

diskutil mount disk0s3

in a terminal window you can see it's contents.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u7PIBX_Rjmo/TjQ7-SpUBmI/AAAAAAAAElI/EnRMkSaZO_w/Screen%252520Shot%2525202011-07-30%252520at%25252010.13.00%252520AM.png