Safari always re-opens windows I had open before

Preview loads every picture I had open before

Seriously how can I get rid of this?

kfury77
Jul 31, 2011, 12:31 AM
http://appleheadlines.com/2011/07/22/how-to-disable-resume-on-mac-os-x-lion/

benhollberg
Jul 31, 2011, 12:33 AM
It is called Resume and said to be one of the major new features in Lion, it was the first thing I deactivated.

tctony
Jul 31, 2011, 01:07 AM
http://appleheadlines.com/2011/07/22/how-to-disable-resume-on-mac-os-x-lion/

They still reopen on reboots.

macfanboy
Jul 31, 2011, 01:09 AM
when you restart, theres an option to turn off restoring windows after restart

oBMTo
Jul 31, 2011, 01:15 AM
when you restart, theres an option to turn off restoring windows after restart

Any way not to have it automatically checked on?

benhollberg
Jul 31, 2011, 01:22 AM
I always shutdown by pressing Control + Option + Command + Eject, and it always opens windows again. It drives me crazy, now if I remember I use the long way to reboot but often times I don't remember.

FooArk
Jul 31, 2011, 02:47 AM
I did that and Preview still opens every single picture

adder7712
Jul 31, 2011, 04:02 AM
I did that and Preview still opens every single picture Hope this helps! Uncheck the box.

DaveTheRave
Jul 31, 2011, 11:02 AM
But why does the OS assume you would want to reopen programs already quit using the Quit function in the Safari menu? Reopening something not fully closed/quit on shutdown makes sense, but I shouldn't have to tell the OS to quit something twice.

ideal.dreams
Jul 31, 2011, 11:07 AM
But why does the OS assume you would want to reopen programs already quit using the Quit function in the Safari menu? Reopening something not fully closed/quit on shutdown makes sense, but I shouldn't have to tell the OS to quit something twice.

Instead of using CMD + Q you can use CMD + ALT + Q to quit the program and discard all windows. Either that or just disable Resume altogether.

DaveTheRave
Jul 31, 2011, 11:21 AM
I can see Resume being useful. I still think its confusing to beginners like me that there's an extra step needed to fully quit the program. I hope Apple changes this for people who want resume but also want Quit to mean Quit.

benhollberg
Jul 31, 2011, 01:23 PM
http://itsalltech.com/2011/06/23/tip-of-the-day-getting-mac-os-x-lion-to-not-use-the-new-resume-feature-temporarily/

FooArk
Jul 31, 2011, 02:10 PM
this Lion stuff is a scam

Icy1007
Jul 31, 2011, 02:41 PM
this Lion stuff is awesome

fixed

dmelgar
Jul 31, 2011, 05:19 PM
Is there a way to get it to not reopen all the programs that were open when you log off? I dislike that it asks every time. I should remember the last setting or have an option to not ask every time.

benhollberg
Jul 31, 2011, 06:36 PM
Is there a way to get it to not reopen all the programs that were open when you log off? I dislike that it asks every time. I should remember the last setting or have an option to not ask every time.

Exactly, another setting should be to just disable Resume completely.

srf4real
Jul 31, 2011, 07:36 PM
In a forward looking world I can see where resume is a very effective tool for those of us who are actually doing work in the same apps all day but sometimes shut one down to give processor and ram to another, etc.. and then need to re-open the previous app again. I am going to teach myself to integrate this feature into my workflow instead of whining because it is different than what I am accustomed to.

Now when I'm surfing pr0n, this crap better stop!!!!!11!!1:rolleyes: