Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueExcess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Earth
Got 8GB in a late-2010 15" MBP; I just checked my iStat widget and I've got 2,500 page outs and 1.15 GB wired. I don't recall ever having page outs in Snow when only basic programs are used (Safari, iTunes, Mail, Word, etc). Anyone else noticed lion munching up their RAM?

That aside, Lion is top notch.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
It may seem that Lion is using more memory than SL did, but Lion actually has much better memory management than before.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
It's Safari...

Lion uses a bit more memory than SL, but the high memory consumption is due to Safari which has a memory leak under Lion, I stopped using Safari for now and I'm using Chrome and the memory consumption went down a lot!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Lion uses a bit more memory than SL, but the high memory consumption is due to Safari which has a memory leak under Lion, I stopped using Safari for now and I'm using Chrome and the memory consumption went down a lot!

That's not the whole answer as I don't use Safari for anything (other than Netflix) and memory usage is still significantly higher than SL.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Weird.....
At the moment, I have 74,875 page ins, and 500MB Wired.
6.12GB free.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I'd say it is more than a "bit"...

For me it is more of the kernel that is taking up a big hunk of memory. It may also be all the features like launch pad (which I wish I could simply turn off as it is useless) and the new mission control. Either way I am contemplating a switch back to SL because of it. I like to have some ram available for my VM when needed and this doesn't leave much left of my 4 GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.