PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor solution

vodouman
Aug 1, 2011, 05:32 AM
Hi guys,

I was wondering how dual screen is supported in Lion. If I were running Xcode fullscreen on my iMac 27" would it be possible to have Safari full screen on the other one at the same time?

- Vodouman

tersono
Aug 1, 2011, 06:32 AM
You can only run one instance of full screen - and that has to be your primary monitor.

For instance, I'm typing this in a fullscreen instance of Chrome on my iMac's built-in 27" screen whilst mail is open and visible in normal mode on my secondary 18" Dell screen. If I try to make mail fullscreen, it takes over the primary screen on my iMac.

mdnz
Aug 1, 2011, 06:32 AM
Nope, the second screen will just display a linen pattern.

vodouman
Aug 1, 2011, 06:51 AM
Wow.... That sucks... So 2 monitors doesn't seem very useful in Lion to me.

Cheers guys.

- Vodouman

Partron22
Aug 1, 2011, 08:12 AM
Wow.... That sucks... So 2 monitors doesn't seem very useful in Lion to me.Nah, it's full screen that isn't very useful for those of us with two monitors. I lived without full screen before Lion, and I can do it now, at least until Apple fixes its display problems.

WSR
Aug 1, 2011, 07:49 PM
Nah, it's full screen that isn't very useful for those of us with two monitors. I lived without full screen before Lion, and I can do it now, at least until Apple fixes its display problems.

Actually it's just not useful in Lion. In Snow Leopard, you can easily have an app in full-screen mode on each monitor.

fitshaced
Aug 1, 2011, 11:00 PM
I think its worth pointing out that a program like Plex runs in fullscreen (but not by Lion standards) and allows you to run other apps on the second screen. It pretty much stays in the desktop. Lion full screen apps are essentially getting their own desktop.