Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Links77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
I own a Powerbook with a 60Gb hard drive and I've run out of room.
What I need is a second hard drive but I have no idea which makes are the best or which model I should go for.

From what I can see, something 160Gb-250Gb is the most cost effective size to go for, which suits me perfectly I think.

But which one?
In particular I'd love to hear from people who have actually used these for a while. Are they reliable or are they going to die and lose all my data in a years time?
What do you guys recommend?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
The LaCie d2 seems to be pretty popular - I know a few people on MacRumors have that one and have reported it to be very reliable.

Personally, I went the cheaper route and bought a MacAlly external case and put a Seagate Barracuda drive in it. It's extremely quiet and I've been very happy with it.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
i just bought a 400gb lacie d2 extreme for my powerbook. i like it a lot. it is also my first product to actually use my firewire 800port. i like

i would recomend it. though it is not mobile, so i also recomend one of those firewire powered drives ( ihave that one too) also recomend it

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
The most cost effective method is to purchase an HD enclosure and a seperate hard drive. See my sig for the setup I use. I love it, and it has performed very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.