PDA

View Full Version : Decent mouse for gaming...

SlickShoes
Aug 1, 2011, 02:45 PM
I am looking for a decent mouse for gaming. I have been looking at the cheaper razer ones.

However my problem is I play games plonked on my reclining sofa. I only just realised the large flat arm rest makes a decent mouse pad so I have moved to there so that i can use a mouse again. I have spent the last couple of years just using gamepads and touchpad which obviously isnt really ideal.

I just have a cheap bluetooth mouse just now but it doesnt feel that great, pretty cheap and small and stutters a wee bit so I am looking for some advice on what mouse to get.

I will mostly being playing MMOs and some casual FPS.

deadwulfe
Aug 1, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have the Razer DeathAdder 3500DPI running on Snow Leopard without any problems, but apparently there are some people here having difficulty with Razer products.

QuantumLo0p
Aug 1, 2011, 05:58 PM
I want an all BT setup and I'm planning to try the Lazer Orochi. I definitely want a BT mouse but my only concern with the Orochi is it may be too small for my hands. Other than the size it seems nice when I tried one at Microcenter. Many people have told me the Apple magic mouse does not work well for gaming; no surprise there. As for the Orochi, if it doesn't work out for me then I will have to go with a wired gaming mouse. There are a bunch of decent ones to choose from so I'm not too worried about it.

I also use a Logitech G13 and an old PowerMac keyboard but I have a new BT Apple board waiting in the wings. I wonder if there is a bluetooth usb port so I could use my G13 wirelessly also? My family room big screen TV calls me to game wirelessly.
:D

pulawman
Aug 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
I use the DeathAdder myself and love it!

SlickShoes
Aug 2, 2011, 03:47 AM
Cheers for the input, assuming the bill for my car getting fixed isnt too bad I think I will try the Razer Orochi.

I have a magic mouse but they are indeed dire for gaming and anything else in windows.

I was thinking about getting a wired one but i dont want the hassle of unplugging it every time i go to get up from the couch. I know I sound really lazy haha but I think a cable would get in the way a bit.

Dagless
Aug 2, 2011, 06:13 AM
Anything Razer is good, higher-end Logitech and Microsoft mice are great too.

I've been using Razer mice for about 8 years now and before that Logitech. The shelf life of Razers seems to be quite short (usually last 2-3 years for me) but I still find myself going back to them.

oklaonion
Aug 2, 2011, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didn't recommend the Razer Naga, especially since you say you play MMOs. There's a ridiculous amount of buttons on it that you can assign to do anything. It changed the way I play WOW - I can basically heal heroics with one hand. It's also the most comfortable mouse I've had.

That said, since I've stopped playing WOW, I've been curious about the Orochi for StarCraft 2. I just wish the naga was bluetooth because I've grown allergic to cables.

SlickShoes
Aug 2, 2011, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didn't recommend the Razer Naga, especially since you say you play MMOs. There's a ridiculous amount of buttons on it that you can assign to do anything. It changed the way I play WOW - I can basically heal heroics with one hand. It's also the most comfortable mouse I've had.

That said, since I've stopped playing WOW, I've been curious about the Orochi for StarCraft 2. I just wish the naga was bluetooth because I've grown allergic to cables.

Yeah I am that way with cables now too, I have a wired Xbox controller for gaming and having that cable trailing around is a wee bit annoying!

I have just re-installed Starcraft 2 so when I get the mouse I will post back and let you know how it is! I will be playing Star Wars when it comes out, I used to also heal in WoW but I havent played it since December and can't see myself going back to it now as i did play it for about 3 good years!

Killery96
Aug 2, 2011, 09:37 AM
I just ordered a new macbook pro 15", and I'll play some CoD and some SC2, tell you how the DeathAdder is. I decided to save $20.00 and go with a sleek mouse rather than a lit up fat one with buttons I wouldn't use.

oklaonion
Aug 2, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah I am that way with cables now too, I have a wired Xbox controller for gaming and having that cable trailing around is a wee bit annoying!

I have just re-installed Starcraft 2 so when I get the mouse I will post back and let you know how it is! I will be playing Star Wars when it comes out, I used to also heal in WoW but I havent played it since December and can't see myself going back to it now as i did play it for about 3 good years!

That would be great if you could let me know how the Orochi is for SC2. I think I am done with WOW too and will likely only play SC2 and Diablo III in the near future. I want to lose the cable.

SlickShoes
Aug 2, 2011, 10:50 AM
That would be great if you could let me know how the Orochi is for SC2. I think I am done with WOW too and will likely only play SC2 and Diablo III in the near future. I want to lose the cable.

I just ordered the Orochi so it should be here in a couple of days, then i can get onto starcraft2 again and start getting my butt handed to me! I will let you know how that goes! I am eagerly awaiting the release date for diablo3!

FroMann
Aug 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
Logitech G400.

It is the new version of the MX518 (which I use), the G400 costs about 45 bucks on Newegg and is the most comfortable and reliable mouse I have ever used. Some games like the ones from Valve support the extra buttons, and the app Better Touch Tool allowed me to map out gestures on the mouse.

TheBoors
Aug 2, 2011, 01:35 PM
I use the razer deathadder programmable side buttons in both WoW, CoD and SC2 to acquire a significant edge.

I could hotkey spells on wow on my mouse, for a quick Fear or death coil
I found having my knife on CoD on my mouse to be fantastic
SC2, I usually have all my production facilities on one tab, all my nexus/CC/hatch on the other button and my army on the last
(two on the side and using the scroller button)

It's great, and the grip is also very confortable, I saw people recommend it too and I strongly approuve

SlickShoes
Aug 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
I use the razer deathadder programmable side buttons in both WoW, CoD and SC2 to acquire a significant edge.

I could hotkey spells on wow on my mouse, for a quick Fear or death coil
I found having my knife on CoD on my mouse to be fantastic
SC2, I usually have all my production facilities on one tab, all my nexus/CC/hatch on the other button and my army on the last
(two on the side and using the scroller button)

It's great, and the grip is also very confortable, I saw people recommend it too and I strongly approuve

That sounds awesome! I don't think i could go with a full size mouse though due to lack of space. I am hoping to turn my spare room into a gaming office type room in a few years and the mouse you use sounds perfect to pair up with that!

cluthz
Aug 2, 2011, 02:30 PM
I have both Logitech MX518 and a G9.
The MX518 is amazing value.

sinser
Aug 2, 2011, 04:40 PM
Deathadder is decent, but having to increase the tracking speed after each reboot is terribly annoying.

sinser
Aug 2, 2011, 04:42 PM
I have the Razer DeathAdder 3500DPI running on Snow Leopard without any problems, but apparently there are some people here having difficulty with Razer products.

Do you mean that tracking speed never resets ??? Even Razer recognizes that issue.

tjb1
Aug 2, 2011, 04:48 PM
Another vote for the Orochi. And they finally have a FULLY WORKING mac driver out...

deadwulfe
Aug 2, 2011, 05:20 PM
Do you mean that tracking speed never resets ??? Even Razer recognizes that issue.

Yeah, when I'm on the login screen it sure goes slow, but as soon as I log in to my computer, everything goes back to how I set it.

I wish I knew how to help you guys having that problem, but I don't. It just works for me.

turbobass
Aug 2, 2011, 07:30 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104178

FroMann
Aug 2, 2011, 07:49 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104178

Logitech discontinued the MX518 one and now sell the G400 in its place.

turbobass
Aug 2, 2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Seriously tho, the DPI count stuff is major crapola. In fact, I know some very very elite FPS players that laugh at it all together. It's all about what buttons you like and what form factor doesn't tire you out. Actually, I've found that a simple mousepad with a gel wrist rest and keyboard wrist rest are the best accessories to help my game -- more than the keyboard and mouse themselves really.

That said I'm a dude who payed like ~$80 for this http://www.logitech.com/en-us/428/130 to use just for day to day stuff so I can't really pretend not to be super anal about mouse choice.

SlickShoes
Aug 3, 2011, 04:17 AM
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Seriously tho, the DPI count stuff is major crapola. In fact, I know some very very elite FPS players that laugh at it all together. It's all about what buttons you like and what form factor doesn't tire you out. Actually, I've found that a simple mousepad with a gel wrist rest and keyboard wrist rest are the best accessories to help my game -- more than the keyboard and mouse themselves really.

That said I'm a dude who payed like ~$80 for this http://www.logitech.com/en-us/428/130 to use just for day to day stuff so I can't really pretend not to be super anal about mouse choice.

Haha! I was considering getting a ridiculous mouse for work, i use a $10 microsoft one just now and its all work will buy me so was thinking of treating myself to something a bit fancier since its in my hand 8 hours a day!

jonp200
Aug 3, 2011, 11:32 AM
I really like the Logitech Performance MX. It is cable free and charges with a USB cable (no batteries)

I bought it primarily, as it also works flawlessly in Windows 7 so when I swap to Windows in Bootcamp, I have a gaming mouse ready to roll there too.

Hope this is a help.

turbobass
Aug 3, 2011, 11:55 AM
Haha! I was considering getting a ridiculous mouse for work, i use a $10 microsoft one just now and its all work will buy me so was thinking of treating myself to something a bit fancier since its in my hand 8 hours a day!
Revolution MX is USB charged (no batteries and lasts for days), feels great, and the MX control panel software lets you easily map the thumb buttons ... i have the forwards and back thumb buttons mapped to desktop and "show all windows" respectively and the thumb slider wheel mapped to forwards / back in my browser ... top button does spotlight.

My favorite, probably totally unnecessary but awesome, part is that the top main scrolly wheel does clicks for little scrolls but when you really flick it it's got a clutch that disengages the clicks and lets it free spin with the momentum of the flick. You can go into the control panel and actually ADJUST at what momentum the click / free spin engages.

ctbear
Aug 3, 2011, 03:14 PM
I've had the Orochi since it first came out and it has always been great under Win7 and OS X. Yes it is a bit small but still feel great overall.
I had been looking for a portable bluetooth mouse over the years and believe me, there is currently no competition in this area.
It does consumes battery quite a bit faster than others and there is a slight wakeup delay on wireless mode. If you can get past that you won't regret it.

SlickShoes
Aug 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
I've had the Orochi since it first came out and it has always been great under Win7 and OS X. Yes it is a bit small but still feel great overall.
I had been looking for a portable bluetooth mouse over the years and believe me, there is currently no competition in this area.
It does consumes battery quite a bit faster than others and there is a slight wakeup delay on wireless mode. If you can get past that you won't regret it.

Cheers mine should arrive tomorrow, I have access to free batteries at work so burning through them is not an issue as long as it lasts a few weeks at a time!

Hopefully notice a difference from my cheapo one!

turbobass
Aug 3, 2011, 06:26 PM
Sigh. You just had to twist my arm and MADE me get a G400. Guess I won't be eating dinner for a while.;)

PowerGamerX
Aug 3, 2011, 08:46 PM
As painful as it sounds I've been using the magic mouse for gaming and it's not too terrible once you get used to lifting your index finger off when you want to right click.

That said, Microsoft make some really awesome mice.

SlickShoes
Aug 4, 2011, 03:43 AM
As painful as it sounds I've been using the magic mouse for gaming and it's not too terrible once you get used to lifting your index finger off when you want to right click.

I like the magic mouse aesthetically but i can't get used to using it even day to day because of how flat it is. I end up getting cramp on the top of my hand from holding it, i guess this is because im used to holding a larger mouse, keeping my hand flat to use the mouse is really annoying!

My cheap microsoft one at work has lasted really well and is fairly good but i fancy upgrading it now!

Plushzilla
Aug 4, 2011, 04:29 AM
Well, I will still go with Death Adder for my gaming need.

Mr.C
Aug 4, 2011, 04:49 AM
Which is the best brand for gaming and everyday use ? MS, Logitech and Razer seem to be the main contenders. At the moment I'm using an Apple Track Pad for everyday use and haven't done much gaming on my Mac as most of it's done on my game consoles. I've also got the Magic Mouse and regular wired USB Apple mouse. I don't think any of those three are suited for gaming. However I'm thinking about installing Windows over Bootcamp on my new Mini and want to get a better mouse. I would rather it be wireless/Bluetooth but wired may be OK.

edddeduck
Aug 4, 2011, 06:42 AM
Logitech MX510 or MX518 mice are the main none Apple mouse in the office with a few other brands for variety. The MX510/518 mice are solid some are almost 5 years old now and are still working fine.

Edwin

tjb1
Aug 4, 2011, 06:42 AM
Which is the best brand for gaming and everyday use ? MS, Logitech and Razer seem to be the main contenders. At the moment I'm using an Apple Track Pad for everyday use and haven't done much gaming on my Mac as most of it's done on my game consoles. I've also got the Magic Mouse and regular wired USB Apple mouse. I don't think any of those three are suited for gaming. However I'm thinking about installing Windows over Bootcamp on my new Mini and want to get a better mouse. I would rather it be wireless/Bluetooth but wired may be OK.

Razer Orochi if you want bluetooth.

ctbear
Aug 4, 2011, 07:56 AM
From a pure gaming perspective I would recommend the following:

- Steelseries Xai
- Razer Deathadder
- MS IE3.0

And yes, Orochi all the way if you need Bluetooth.

tjb1
Aug 4, 2011, 08:59 AM
If your into the high dpi and everything the Orochi has something like 4000 when used with the cable.

PowerGamerX
Aug 4, 2011, 09:51 AM
I like the magic mouse aesthetically but i can't get used to using it even day to day because of how flat it is. I end up getting cramp on the top of my hand from holding it, i guess this is because im used to holding a larger mouse, keeping my hand flat to use the mouse is really annoying!

My cheap microsoft one at work has lasted really well and is fairly good but i fancy upgrading it now!

Well, if you're putting your hand flat to the mouse I could see why you would get cramps! You should be holding the MM just by your fingertips.

chaosbunny
Aug 4, 2011, 10:31 AM

I started SC2 with a magic mouse, couldn't stand it anymore and got a Cyborg RAT3 a couple of months ago. I like this mouse very much, helped me a great deal to get from silver to platin league. :D

PowerGamerX
Aug 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
I started SC2 with a magic mouse, couldn't stand it anymore and got a Cyborg RAT3 a couple of months ago. I like this mouse very much, helped me a great deal to get from silver to platin league. :D

Maybe I'm just neutral when it comes to mice then. On my preferred TF2 server (filled with many pro and enthusiast players) I'm consistently in the top 3 including both teams, even without a physical second button and scroll wheel. Yet everybody else I know looks at me in disgust when they see me playing with a magic mouse :p

Mr.C
Aug 4, 2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will most likely go with the Razer Mamba.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_GB/pd/ThemeID.26460500/productID.231103000/categoryId.35208800

Smurfed
Aug 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
I use the Logitech G500.

If you're on a budget, get the G400.
/thread.

Ryy
Aug 4, 2011, 02:16 PM
Maybe I'm just neutral when it comes to mice then. On my preferred TF2 server (filled with many pro and enthusiast players) I'm consistently in the top 3 including both teams, even without a physical second button and scroll wheel. Yet everybody else I know looks at me in disgust when they see me playing with a magic mouse :p

LOL! That is awesome!

I have the Death Adder, and it is very solid for sure.

turbobass
Aug 4, 2011, 02:19 PM
This post makes me want to throw up :eek:, but as Sly Stone said Different Strokes for Different Folks.

SlickShoes
Aug 4, 2011, 06:53 PM
Having some problems with Orochi in Windows 7.

I connected it via bluetooth on OSX. Booted up Windows which lists the bluetooth as disabled and the mouse works but the scroll wheel doesnt.

I then enabled bluetooth and the mouse stops working completely, when i try to add it as a device it sees Orochi but then is never able to connect to it.

Any ideas?

tjb1
Aug 4, 2011, 06:54 PM
Having some problems with Orochi in Windows 7.

I connected it via bluetooth on OSX. Booted up Windows which lists the bluetooth as disabled and the mouse works but the scroll wheel doesnt.

I then enabled bluetooth and the mouse stops working completely, when i try to add it as a device it sees Orochi but then is never able to connect to it.

Any ideas?

Go into OS X and unpair the mouse and try again...if that doesnt work pm me and I will guide you through driver change.

SerrQ
Aug 4, 2011, 07:11 PM
If you play MMO's then definitely go for the Razer Naga.

You can also make every button a "gestures". For example:
I put Mission Control on "mouse button 4"
Desktop/spaces to the right, "12"
Desktop/spaces to the left, "11"
Lauchpad "mouse button 5"

If you have money and want wireless, go for the Razer Naga Epic. If it's too expensive for you then go for the Razer Orochi, believe me.. Razers are the best mice imo, the few companies that support macs.

rezenclowd3
Aug 5, 2011, 01:27 AM
Now that the drivers have been squared away, and I have figured out how to edit the profiles as I desire, I believe the R.A.T. series mice to be pretty damn good. I find its very comortable as well, moreso than my Razer Mamba and Razer Orochi. What peeves me about the RAZER mice, is that only the 2011 Razer Mamba has good Mac drivers. The rest are "meh"...

SlickShoes
Aug 5, 2011, 03:32 AM
Go into OS X and unpair the mouse and try again...if that doesnt work pm me and I will guide you through driver change.

Cheers that was my next thing to try but I ended up going to bed!

Will give it a go tonight.

The mouse is really comfortable though, best mouse ive owned so far! Although if someone had large hands it would be a bit on the small side.

EDIT:

After some digging, the problem comes from pairing the mouse in OSX before Windows.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2359596?start=0&tstart=0 that tells you how to fix it for anyone that comes across the same problem. Will be trying it when I get home from work!

Ronald Williams
Aug 5, 2011, 07:35 AM
iam using logitech wireless mouse and till now it has worked perfectly with every game that i have played.

Justinf79
Aug 6, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm thinking about dumping the MS Habu mouse I'm using ATM, as MS doesn't provide OS X driver support for it. I've been using either USB Overdrive or Steermouse to get the 2 side thumb-buttons to work, but neither of them work as well as I'd like. I need a 5-button mouse with full OS X driver support, so I've been looking at mice from Razer and Logitech.

Does anyone have a mouse with side-buttons that Steam games will fully recognize and map to? (under OS X)

Dark Void
Aug 7, 2011, 03:22 AM
I have an old school Razer Deathadder, one of the earlier ones and I've also held and used the 3500 DPI version. The Deathadder is easily the best mouse I have ever used. It's very comfortable to say the least about it. The software they include isn't bad, either. I cut my USB wire on it slightly though when rushing to remove a ziptie. :/ It still works but I don't really like to use it because I feel like something could go wrong with it. It's pathetically salvaged with electrical tape at the moment. My point is, it's a nice wire too with a gold USB receiver which is suppose to offer better reception or whatever but it's not strong enough to eat a viciously paced cut with a pair of scissors which is to be expected. :P

I have a Logitech B100 now which is a basic wired mouse. I'm not suggesting it for gaming but I am saying that if you don't need side buttons, software, or DPI, then consider a cheap mouse by a reputable manufacturer. Nobody really needs or desires more than side buttons really, a "gaming mouse" (and gaming keyboards alike) is a bit foggy in the sense that you can basically just get something cheaper that offers the same performance. It just so happens that the Deathadder is more comfortable and ergonomic than most mice I have used, and it comes with software and side buttons to boot.

clientsiman
Aug 7, 2011, 04:05 AM
I really like my Razer DeathAdder :)

chairguru22
Aug 8, 2011, 06:41 AM
I've been using a Magic Mouse and when my had gets sweaty, right clicks become left clicks. Very bad in SC2... a normal Microsoft mouse works fine otherwise.

SlickShoes
Aug 9, 2011, 04:54 AM
OK so I have had the mouse (Razer Orochi) for about 5 days now.

I have moved to a mouse from being a touchpad / Xbox controller guy.

The mouse is fairly small so if you have large hands this is not the mouse for you, i have normal/small hands and the mouse fits perfect and is very comfortable.

The first day was pretty bad as it was taking me some time just to get used to holding a mouse, so I took it easy left it on all basic settings and played some point and click games.

The software works great and I was able to map the extra buttons to do various extras like expose on OSX. I have not had any problems with the software at all, however it only works when the mouse is plugged in via USB.

I have mostly played TF2 with this mouse simply because i went from being middle of the scoreboard to now being top of the scoreboard. It is a world of difference from using a gamepad, I really did not realise what I was missing. I can tweak the mouse to exactly how i want it, my look speed is fast, I can move correctly and as a guy who always though being a sniper was impossible I can actually play that class now.

Getting a good mouse has opened up a whole world of games to me now that I never even played because of no gamepad support or impossible to play using the touchpad.

The bottom line is the mouse is great and was well worth £50 i paid for it, its very portable, great build quality and comfortable to use as long as you don't have large hands.

oklaonion
Aug 9, 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the report, Slick. I almost bought it the other day, but since I have the Naga I just couldn't convince myself to part with my money (or lack thereof). It'll probably be my next mouse though, since I yearn for wireless without a dongle.

TheHulk
Aug 9, 2011, 10:27 PM
Anybody have much success with the Magic Trackpad?

jbyun04
Aug 10, 2011, 03:28 AM

haha unless you're playing touch grind or angry birds forget it

i would love to see someone try to play SC2 with a bloody magic trackpad

Deathadder by far for me is the best gaming mouse out there at a reasonable price. I'm starting to get used to Magic Mouse for gaming... while it's nothing near my Deathadder I have no choice at this point because I have no mouse pad and my Deathadder doesn't track at all on my new desk.

Mr.C
Aug 10, 2011, 04:37 AM

I've tried playing several games with the Track Pad and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. It's quite frustrating to say the least. I tried Star Craft 2, WOW, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 to name a few. Other then puzzle games and casual games you need a mouse for accuracy. :)

SlickShoes
Aug 10, 2011, 05:15 AM
I've tried playing several games with the Track Pad and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. It's quite frustrating to say the least. I tried Star Craft 2, WOW, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 to name a few. Other then puzzle games and casual games you need a mouse for accuracy. :)

I played WoW for close to 4 years on macbooks with trackpads and never used a mouse haha.

All i used the trackpad for was clicking on mailboxes or opening items, just about everything else I had keybound and I used TAB for targetting enemies, I tanked my fair share of end game stuff when it was released in Naxx, Ulduar and Trial of the Crusader.

Then i moved to healing all of ICC and some heroic ICC and used healbot so just clicking on the person needing the heal with ctrl click, shift click modifiers for different abilities.

It worked for me but i assume for someone used to using a mouse it would have been some ordeal!

Mobius 1
Aug 10, 2011, 07:07 AM
Razer lachesis works pretty good.

i'm on ze newest version btw.

e≤Studios
Aug 10, 2011, 10:21 AM
I use a Razor Naga, works really well with WoW. Bit of a learning curve to start with it, but once you get the hang of using the mouse its a great thing.