PDA

View Full Version : can you convince me not to ditch Lion for Windows 7?

vix2000
Aug 1, 2011, 08:29 PM
I am having to type this on my trusty old asus as my macbook air has the infuriating exclaimation mark in the wi fi meter. These are my major issues since installing Lion.

In Lion my wifi appears to be off more than on. I have tried every fix on the internet to no avail. I should not be having to do this or reset my router every time my machine wakes on a piece of kit that cost over a grand 7 months ago.

I have no acess to my linkstation.

My battery life is rubbish

I continually get the spinning wheel.

How long should I put up with this on a new laptop???????????????????

miles01110
Aug 1, 2011, 08:33 PM

As long as you feel like it. Make your own decision.

thejadedmonkey
Aug 1, 2011, 08:34 PM
I am having to type this on my trusty old asus as my macbook air has the infuriating exclaimation mark in the wi fi meter. These are my major issues since installing Lion.

In Lion my wifi appears to be off more than on. I have tried every fix on the internet to no avail. I should not be having to do this or reset my router every time my machine wakes on a piece of kit that cost over a grand 7 months ago.

Wait til 7.1 before you give up. Personally, I left Apple-land for Windows after 10.6.7, and haven't looked back.. It's not a bad place.

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 08:45 PM
what would anyone here gain from that? Use win 7 if you want. Who cares?

GuerillaTech
Aug 1, 2011, 08:46 PM
I don't see why people are "leaving" an OS for another. I mainly use OS X, but I have Windows 7 Bootcamped for the rare programs i need that are only on windows. It's been a fact that .0 releases are buggy, the same goes for Windows releases. The only difference is that Microsoft sends out patches almost with no delay as where Apple just saves it for a bigger release like a .1 update.

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 1, 2011, 08:47 PM
what would anyone here gain from that? Use win 7 if you want. Who cares?

Came in this thread to say basically the same thing haha.

oBMTo
Aug 1, 2011, 08:48 PM

Go with 7

Macshroomer
Aug 1, 2011, 08:49 PM

If this is a brand new Mac with Lion pre-installed, then you do not have a Snow Leopard disk I take it. In which case I would simply return the computer, ask for a refund and tell Apple their OS stinks, they need to know how bad this is for some customers...

Now, if you have Snow Leopard around, install it, update it to 10.6.8 and fully enjoy what a good Mac OSX is like.

agentphish
Aug 1, 2011, 09:30 PM
my battery life is garbage as well. pure garbage. machine is running hot too, presumably the battery.

Steve's Barber
Aug 1, 2011, 09:53 PM

Do you think we're all such rabid fanboy idiots that somebody threatening to leave the OSX club will guarantee pleas of "Don't go!".

Not everyone here is 12 years old.

Another "who cares" vote from me.

Eradik
Aug 1, 2011, 09:58 PM
I agree with Steve's Barber.... Sorry you're having issues. I wouldn't blame you if you want to go back to Windows. It happens.

Make your decision and be happy with it. That's all you can do. :D

tjb1
Aug 1, 2011, 10:01 PM
Nope, dont care...bye. I guess we will see you at the Windows 8 release.

gakuran hitori
Aug 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah go back to windows.

Apple OC
Aug 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
I am having to type this on my trusty old asus

you seem well suited for an Asus with W7 ... be happy

Quad5Ny
Aug 1, 2011, 10:26 PM
Reset SMC, NVRAM
Clean Install Lion
Bring your Air into a Apple store

Apple has wonderful customer service, they will take care of you.

Macshroomer
Aug 1, 2011, 10:34 PM
Reset SMC, NVRAM
Clean Install Lion

A lot better reply than the poster above's garbage. Everyone has had very different experiences updating to Lion, which means there is a ton of variation in hardware, software, usage, etc.

Some have had it smooth sailing, other people have had nightmare experiences on pro level machines with 20TB worth of storage like me.

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 11:52 PM
Anyway, I also had nothing but problems with Lion, and I eventually went back Snow Leopard, which is running fine for me.

Lion's Wifi is broken (for me), my first Lion install was laggy and slow (for me), and I actually use Front Row a lot on my iMac, and Front Row is gone in Lion.

After this experience, I'd have no problem at all making my next computer purchase a Windows 7 PC. From what little I've played around with Windows 7 on the PCs of friends and family, it's every bit as stable and useable as OSX.

And when you consider the very substantial Apple premium, Windows 7 is probably where I'll head when my mid-2007 Aluminum iMac needs to be replaced. The Apple premium is based on "It Just Works," but after installing Lion I can tell you that this particular Apple item does not just work. But hey, with Snow Leopard running really well, that replacement date appears to be out there in the future. I see no point in going back to Lion, though.

So yeah, if Windows 7 makes sense for you, I'd say go for it and have no regrets. After my negative experience with Lion, the bloom is definitely off the Apple at this point. :o

admanimal
Aug 2, 2011, 12:45 AM
my battery life is garbage as well. pure garbage. machine is running hot too, presumably the battery.

Your logic is flawed. Laptops get hot when the CPU is being utilized more than normal. Using the CPU more uses more battery. Hence, your battery life is worse because the CPU is being used more.

adder7712
Aug 2, 2011, 12:55 AM
Personally, I haven't encountered any issues with WiFi connectivity.

If you want to ditch OS X, go ahead, it will not benefit us in any way. I dual-boot Mac OS X and Windows 7 and love them equally.

kasakka
Aug 2, 2011, 12:56 AM
Snow Leopard was a bit buggy when it was released and it also took 3rd party developers time to update their software to fully work with it. The same is going to happen with Lion.

What you lose by going to Win7 is integration with the hardware. I've yet to see any PC laptop with as good a trackpad as Macs or great support for gestures. Battery life will also be worse in Windows as its power management isn't as efficient.

For software, what you'll miss is consistency. Most OSX programs follow UI design guidelines and look and feel native. Windows programs are a mess of XP, Vista and Win7 plus custom UIs when it comes to visuals and usability. Keyboard shortcut consistency is terrible.

That doesn't mean you can't live with it. I use Win7 on my desktop PC. I also have a Hackintosh on it but since my motherboard won't support sleep on it I prefer to use Win7. I can get the same things done in either OS but overall I would prefer using OSX. Both have their quirks for sure but as an overall experience I prefer OSX.

OP should really take his or her machine to an Apple Store for a lookup if the suggested NVRAM/PRAM resets or repairing file permissions don't fix the issues. Lion has worked perfectly on my mid-2009 MBP so far so it sounds more like something is wrong with the machine itself.

tom5304
Aug 2, 2011, 01:15 AM
Lion has worked perfectly on my mid-2009 MBP so far so it sounds more like something is wrong with the machine itself.

Thank you, kasakka, for an over intelligent response, even if we don't come to the same conclusion.

But as far as saying it sounds like something is wrong with the machine itself, that can't be completely true.

If Lion isn't working for the OP, and it isn't working for me, but it is working for you, and it is working for many others, what that tells us is that Lion isn't working on certain machines. Almost certainly a minority of machines.

Still, that tells us that there's something wrong with Lion, in that it can't work right on a certain percentage of Macs. If the percentage was something like .03% of machines, that might be acceptable.

But I've been scouring the internet to solve the problems that Lion brought to my computer, and the percentage of bad Lion installs has to go much higher than that. The buzz is starting to build that Lion is a buggy mess.

tblrsa
Aug 2, 2011, 01:37 AM
Use Windows, no one cares.

Macshroomer
Aug 2, 2011, 01:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Personally, I would never use Windows, after decades of use of Mac OS, I will just use OSX 10.6.8, no big deal.....once I get a new drive, finish my restore, etc, etc...

Being an early adopter is always a crap shoot, no one can argue different. Most of the time, they are at least a little buggy on my systems, but this one has been near disastrous teaching me one hell of a hard lesson.

For just $29, I have cost my self about $2,000 in man hours and productivity. Never again will I early adopt, I might even skip 10.7 altogether for how utterly horrible this has been.

If you have had a great experience with your early adoption of this newborn OS, good for you, not all of us have and you should get off of your web born high horses and respect that...

tom5304
Aug 2, 2011, 01:56 AM
If you have had a great experience with your early adoption of this newborn OS, good for you, not all of us have and you should get off of your web born high horses and respect that...

Thank you for saying that. Some of these folks try to make us feel guilty somehow because Lion has screwed up our computers. SORRY! I wish Lion didn't break my Wifi, but it did.

beth1989
Aug 2, 2011, 02:05 AM
While I'm not going to leave spiteful comments like a few above here, I don't think this a question other people can answer, end of the day, it's your decision.

I'd send in your mac to the Apple Store first and let them take a look at some of the issues you stated.

Then, have a few days playing solely on each. Which was easier to work/ play on? Then you have your answer.

LinMac
Aug 2, 2011, 02:13 AM
So far five of my friends have upgraded their Macs to Lion.

Two are frustrated by problems caused by third party software they installed then forgot about.

One is frustrated because his Leopard -> Snow Leopard -> Lion upgraded Mac needed to have caches cleaned to operate smoothly.

The last two are working properly with no problems at all.

A casual survey of Windows users I know shows they stick with the Windows versions included with their PC or reload the PCs from scratch rather than doing an upgrade.

What does all this prove?

Nothing.

Burn a Lion install DVD and do a fresh install if your Mac is having problems. That will fix a lot of potential problems.

tom5304
Aug 2, 2011, 02:27 AM
So far five of my friends have upgraded their Macs to Lion.

Two are frustrated by problems caused by third party software they installed then forgot about.

One is frustrated because his Leopard -> Snow Leopard -> Lion upgraded Mac needed to have caches cleaned to operate smoothly.

The last two are working properly with no problems at all.

A casual survey of Windows users I know shows they stick with the Windows versions included with their PC or reload the PCs from scratch rather than doing an upgrade.

What does all this prove?

Nothing.

Burn a Lion install DVD and do a fresh install if your Mac is having problems. That will fix a lot of potential problems.

The fresh install solved the lagginess/delayed keystrokes problem on my iMac, but it didn't solve the Wifi problems.

We really shouldn't have to do fresh installs, which are really an unauthorized workaround, to get Lion to work correctly out of the box.

senc01a
Aug 2, 2011, 08:51 AM
If this is a brand new Mac with Lion pre-installed, then you do not have a Snow Leopard disk I take it. In which case I would simply return the computer, ask for a refund and tell Apple their OS stinks, they need to know how bad this is for some customers...

Now, if you have Snow Leopard around, install it, update it to 10.6.8 and fully enjoy what a good Mac OSX is like.

Really? Really? Is there really such huge difference so say that SL is amazing and that Lion stinks?

I don't get this people....
Reminds me of the people that freaked out when the first Intel Macs came out.
OH NO!! Its the end of time!! No more PPC. We have to go out and buy all of the PPC stock out there, so we have macs for the rest of our life.... Sure, very smart choice.

senc01a
Aug 2, 2011, 08:53 AM
The fresh install solved the lagginess/delayed keystrokes problem on my iMac, but it didn't solve the Wifi problems.

We really shouldn't have to do fresh installs, which are really an unauthorized workaround, to get Lion to work correctly out of the box.

I agree with you on the comment about the Fresh install. I don't get why they want us so badly to upgrade, when it is a common known thing that a fresh install is ALWAYS (yeah, always) better.

senc01a
Aug 2, 2011, 08:55 AM
About the original question.
Dude, ditch Mac, adopt Windows 7.
See you in a month time, when you are hopelessly crying out loud how much Windows 7 has messed you up with all its virus, BSOD, and so on.
Lovely desktop, sooo much better than Mission Control....

gentlefury
Aug 2, 2011, 08:57 AM
A lot better reply than the poster above's garbage. Everyone has had very different experiences updating to Lion, which means there is a ton of variation in hardware, software, usage, etc.

Some have had it smooth sailing, other people have had nightmare experiences on pro level machines with 20TB worth of storage like me.

People like those above who just have to chime in because they don't have a life and make it seem like a poster with a solid posting history is full of it are, well, losers...

Apple OC = Loser, not contributor...

I have a pro level machine with 6TB of storage....no problems whatsoever here....what's your point?

GoCubsGo
Aug 2, 2011, 09:05 AM
Work through the issues that will plague any first revision of any OS or go to Windows 7. If you believe your frustration will end with Windows 7 then more power to you. No one here should ever entertain the ridiculous idea of "convincing" you. Who the **** cares what "we" think if you're so incredibly dissatisfied with an OS then stop using it.

Spoiler Alert: there is an alternative to using Lion and it does not entail using Windows. Then again that is my opinion and it is clear that I'm much more mindful than you are. /shrug

rwilliams
Aug 2, 2011, 09:25 AM
Why should anyone here try to convince you, OP? It doesn't matter to us what OS you use. If you want to give OS X Lion a chance, do so. If you're frustrated and want to go to Windows 7, do that. There's nothing at stake for any of us here, so truthfully, no one really cares.

phassat
Aug 2, 2011, 09:53 AM
Who cares? Just go…. Windows sucks and from common user point of view, it is a much worse ecosystem.

I like Lion or Mac OS X for many reasons, and my typical non hi-tech daily tasks are done way faster than I can do it on windows.
They add edit functionality on preview and for me it's a life safer with the speed and easiness for the PDF edit.
Sure I can make do the same on other apps and even windows but it can't be done as the time required by Lion.

Spotlight has been one of the best thing in Mac OS X as well… I can really find the file that I need very fast and without hassle.

So, go to windows, I'm happy with my Lion and I don't care if OS X loss 1 user… many other will come back from windows...

phassat
Aug 2, 2011, 09:55 AM
LOL… most of the answer is similar… I haven't read the responses to the thread before I reply it….

Haha… who cares and why should I convince you… :D

seong
Aug 2, 2011, 10:29 AM
To OP: I have no idea why you are comparing a recently released operating system with a operating system that has been out in public longer, and has most of it's bugs fixed. Why would you need to be convinced? Just be patient and see how the future updates work out for you.
If you want Windows 7, then bootcamp it.

Stangs55
Aug 2, 2011, 10:36 AM
You'll find very few responses here that aren't horribly unbiased.

Try both and pick what fits your workflow. For me, I prefer Win 7 1000x over OS X...but I'm in the great majority on these forums. I use Win 7 for getting anything meaningful done from video editing, photoshop, office, etc...and then OS X for email and web browsing on the go.

Glenny2lappies
Aug 2, 2011, 10:45 AM
Lion's pretty grim. My experiences with it are quite frankly the worst I've ever had with Apple. There's so much broken on it and the pointless user interface changes make it a definite retrograde step for me.

I honestly wouldn't give up yet. I would suggest you look into which process is chewing up your CPU time (install an activity monitor on the toolbar).

Apple will fix these problems - they better do as it's a rather large mess. I'm hoping that 10.7.1 will fix some of this and that by 10.7.4 we'll have our old OSX back.

It may be worth your while looking at 'upgrading' to Snow Leopard. It's something I'm still strongly considering.

Jagardn
Aug 2, 2011, 10:46 AM

People using any computer for professional use should never update to a .0 release of ANY OS. :eek:

Benbikeman
Aug 2, 2011, 11:32 AM
See you in a month time, when you are hopelessly crying out loud how much Windows 7 has messed you up with all its virus, BSOD, and so on.
I see you have never used Windows 7.

I used Win7 for 18 months. In that time, the machine didn't get a single virus or a single BSOD. It crashed once, which was a hardware fault. Win7 is every bit as stable as SL.

Nixir
Aug 2, 2011, 12:19 PM
Windows 7 won't give you better battery life, at best it won't be worse than what you have right now. However it will give you trouble free computing given that it's a clean install and you don't install everything requested by every pop up; but then the same can be said for Snow Leopard.

I suggest a downgrade to SL over Windows 7 personally simply because it works well with apple computers. But if you have other hardware then the driver support is usually better for Windows.

*personal anecdotal story: my main work station is a Windows 7 machine with 3 HDDs in Raid 0, 16GB ram, SB i7 and 2 5870s in Crossfire and it runs like an absolute dream! I have the Windows Security Essentials software installed and have been trouble free thus far.

Jagardn
Aug 2, 2011, 01:04 PM
I'm hoping that 10.7.1 will fix some of this and that by 10.7.4 we'll have our old OSX back.

Wish in one hand $#!* in the other, and see which one fills up first. You can still have your old OS with Snow Leopard, if you don't like Lion go back.

rwilliams
Aug 2, 2011, 01:45 PM
People using any computer for professional use should never update to a .0 release of ANY OS. :eek:

I am surprised at how many people who use their computers for business use have upgraded to Lion and then complained about it. I thought that this was a well known rule of thumb about new operating systems.

oBMTo
Aug 2, 2011, 05:23 PM
About the original question.
Lovely desktop, sooo much better than Mission Control....

Try not posting on something you know nothing about. :rolleyes:

KPOM
Aug 2, 2011, 05:35 PM
Lion was clearly released before it was ready. As a shareholder, I certainly hope it doesn't do too much PR damage to Apple before the bug fixes come out. They committed to a July release and got themselves into a pickle. Hopefully 10.7.1 fixes a lot of issues.

Remember that 10.0 was a buggy release. Even 10.6.0 had a lot of bugs. Probably the smoothest release of all time was 10.5. A lot of us got spoiled by that release, and between the UI changes and all the bugs, Lion has left a bad taste.

To the OP, revert to Snow Leopard for now, and try again in a month once Apple has released some bug fixes.

I see you have never used Windows 7.

I used Win7 for 18 months. In that time, the machine didn't get a single virus or a single BSOD. It crashed once, which was a hardware fault. Win7 is every bit as stable as SL.

As we'd expect, given the debacle that was Vista and Microsoft's cautious and deliberate approach to that OS. Plus, it's had a fair number of bug fixes, as well. Windows 8 looks like another radical shift, though, at least in terms of UI. We'll see what sort of growing pains MS has from that.

vix2000
Aug 2, 2011, 06:20 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood the ethos of this forum, I thought it was for help and advice. As I explained I have only experienced mac/os x for 6 months and was hoping someone would perhaps give me some hope that these bugs would shortly be sorted, or others that had similar problems might suggest work arounds. And whatever the scathing digs, I didn't have these prolonged issues on the asus (which cost a similar amount when new). The MBA was supposed to be an improvement.

I am quite aware that no-on else gives a toss what OS I use, in which case why bother to post???? I cannot believe all the nasty responses, never realised there were so many nasty people on here. Maybe instead of ditching os x I should ditch macrumors for a forum with a nicer bunch of people, of course, not that any of you will care!!!!

To the people that gave constructive and polite responses, you are obviously excluded from the above, and thanks for replying.

maflynn
Aug 2, 2011, 06:25 PM
To the people that gave constructive and polite responses, you are obviously excluded from the above, and thanks for replying.
The issue is that the whole PC vs. Mac holy war never truly disappeared. There are many people that take their favorite OS to unhealthy levels. It doesn't matter if its windows or OSX.

Personally, I've used both and found both have advantages and disadvantages. Windows 7 is probably MS' best OS to date, very stable fast with lots of features. Networking a windows 7 box is so much easier then an OSX machine. True I can access some stuff by going to Finder>Connect to Server but access is slow and problematic at times.

OSX is great because of the consistency, ease of use stability of its Unix core. Better memory management and generally it does not get in the way for me to work.

I don't have much to offer you in what to do, other then pick the platform that best suits your needs.

vix2000
Aug 2, 2011, 06:34 PM
I love my mac, have struggled at times converting from 20 years in a windows environment, but have found I rarely need to use windows on virtual box except for quicken and autoroute, and would run them or a similar alternative on os x if I could.

I think if there is no chance of an imminent update to at least cure the wifi issue, which, by the amount of hits it gets is a very common occurance, your advice of going back to snow leopard is probably good.

Maybe I was too excited by the hype surrounding the Lion release, and should have waited.

Thanks.

handel30
Aug 2, 2011, 07:58 PM
I installed Lion a week ago and haven't had a single problem. I liked Snow Leopard, but Lion is even better. Wouldn't trade it for Windows 7 if you paid me.

Lion was clearly released before it was ready. As a shareholder, I certainly hope it doesn't do too much PR damage to Apple before the bug fixes come out. They committed to a July release and got themselves into a pickle. Hopefully 10.7.1 fixes a lot of issues.

Remember that 10.0 was a buggy release. Even 10.6.0 had a lot of bugs. Probably the smoothest release of all time was 10.5. A lot of us got spoiled by that release, and between the UI changes and all the bugs, Lion has left a bad taste.

To the OP, revert to Snow Leopard for now, and try again in a month once Apple has released some bug fixes.

As we'd expect, given the debacle that was Vista and Microsoft's cautious and deliberate approach to that OS. Plus, it's had a fair number of bug fixes, as well. Windows 8 looks like another radical shift, though, at least in terms of UI. We'll see what sort of growing pains MS has from that.

I haven't encountered a single bug. Sometimes the gestures don't work, but it may be that I'm doing them wrong. You have to practice. Other than that, my experience so far has been a pleasure. Lion is super smooth and really makes me feel like I'm in command of my computer.

Glenny2lappies
Aug 3, 2011, 02:57 AM
I haven't encountered a single bug.

You're quite lucky then. Lots of people are reporting lots of problems; Bluetooth, Mail, networking (NAS devices)....

Similarly for the UI changes -- did you use Spaces & Exposé before?

vix2000
Aug 4, 2011, 06:21 PM
For some reason my link station is now being recognised. I haven't tried doing anything with it yet, i.e.: transferring files etc. But at least its seeing it and accessing folders/files. It wasn't even scanning yesterday. WiFi is getting worse, just took an hour to get online after closing the lid for 5 minutes. Onl had brother driver update so far, roll on wifi update!!!

KPOM
Aug 4, 2011, 06:48 PM
You're quite lucky then. Lots of people are reporting lots of problems; Bluetooth, Mail, networking (NAS devices)....

Similarly for the UI changes -- did you use Spaces & Exposé before?

I read an article about the NAS devices (I think it was on PC Mag) that part of the issue was that the NAS makers knew or should have known based on the betas that Apple had changed some protocols, but weren't ready with firmware updates.

I have a 2011 MacBook Air and so am using Lion whether I like it or not (and so far I like it), but the only real issue I have had is the slow wake-from-deep-sleep issue that seems to affect Lion installations on SSDs in general (and does not appear to be limited to the MacBook Air). Wake from sleep was an issue on the late 2010 MacBook Airs and Apple fixed it, so I'll give them some time to address it.

RWil85
Aug 4, 2011, 06:53 PM
if you dislike Lion enough to ditch it..how then is it that you skipped over Snow Leopard to even consider Win 7?

maflynn
Aug 4, 2011, 07:11 PM
My concern with Lion is that its the future. Yeah I can stay on SL until I buy a new Mac or buy some software that requires Lion or later.

I think OSX is > windows in many ways so I'd prefer to stay on the the OSX platform.

Aug 7, 2011, 12:34 AM
I put Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro and completely wiped out the Lion partition using BootCamp. I couldn't be happier. It's over for OS X.

solaris
Aug 7, 2011, 01:51 AM
Just do it!
In the end it is your choice, so please do whatever you like..

mark28
Aug 7, 2011, 02:16 AM

Donwgrade to SL and wait till 10.7.1.

Windows 7 and SL actually work unlike Lion OS X.

PhoneI
Aug 7, 2011, 09:21 AM
I use Win 7 on my work machine and Lion on my home machine. Win7 is ok, but I usually cant wait to get home to use my MacBook.

I guess I m very lucky in that Lion works perfectly for me and I actually really like Mission Control. I do admit though, I was never an expose user before.

jlc1978
Aug 7, 2011, 10:52 AM

Apple tends to be pretty good about bug fixes. One thing I would look for is what non-Apple apps are running - especially in the background? I'd disable all startup apps and see what happens - one of them could be the culprit for either the battery (say if it's excessively loading the CPU as an example or even the wifi issues).

As for the linkstation - sporadic problems (I believe you said it is working again) are frustrating. I've had issues with Apple gear working with non-Apple wifi gear off and on as well. Generally it's my Time Capsule or Airport that doesn't like 3rd party access points; but it is is possible that Lion caused some weird connectivity issue with your linkstation. I have noticed the wifi reconnect issue when I close my MBP as wll (it has Lion installed) - but it reconnects rather quickly; the only time I notice it is when a network requires a login for access - I get the login screen again.

I've found it is best to stick with all Apple gear for networking. That is not a solution unless you spend more money; just what I ultimately decided to do to end the random headaches my Apple - Linksys - Airlink combo caused. My Time Capsule - Airport Extreme - Airport Express setup is flawless other than one of my Macs occasionally decides to disconnect form the Time Capsule volumes (but not the network).

That said, Win7 is pretty nice and stable - I use it regularly and find it as useable as OSX - different, but still a viable option. Personally, I prefer OSX but that is not to say it is inherently better than Win7.

I do find Apple's build quality and design much preferable to any Win notebook I've seen or used.

wazgilbert
Aug 7, 2011, 11:37 AM
tl;dr

to the original poster, this might not be in the forum rules, but it sure as hell ought to be!

Do not beg for hand-holding. These are forums for discussion and analysis, not for answering any question that you might happen to dream up. Search and read before posting--do not post a question unless you are fairly confident that the answer isn't widely known or easily attainable. In particular, we do not want to take a look at your <snipped for relevence>kit to tell you what you're doing wrong and we're not interested in making your tough gear or spec decisions for you. We expect you to use the search function and also to read the first post as well as the last 5 pages of the thread you are posting in. Chances are your question has already been answered.

BlackMangoTree
Aug 7, 2011, 11:47 AM
Reset SMC, NVRAM
Clean Install Lion

My experience with Apple has been far from wonderful.

Beezy
Aug 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
I am ready to do the opposite. I have used Windows long enough I am ready for a change. I don't think I will miss it.

Taz Mangus
Aug 7, 2011, 03:27 PM

Have you tried doing a calibration of your battery under Lion? I installed Lion on my MacBook Pro and will be doing a calibration of the battery.

Taz Mangus
Aug 7, 2011, 03:35 PM
For some reason my link station is now being recognised. I haven't tried doing anything with it yet, i.e.: transferring files etc. But at least its seeing it and accessing folders/files. It wasn't even scanning yesterday. WiFi is getting worse, just took an hour to get online after closing the lid for 5 minutes. Onl had brother driver update so far, roll on wifi update!!!

A couple of things to try. Delete the network from your network system preferences and key chain, reconnect to the network. I was having a issue with my Mac-mini under Snow Leopard where it would not connect to my network. I created a new network location (under network system preferences) and that seemed to solve the issue. Give that a try.

Taz Mangus
Aug 7, 2011, 03:51 PM

The amount of people having issues is very small compared to those who are not having issues. To say that *Lion does not work* is not true.

I have Lion installed on two different Mac computers, 2011 iMac and a 2009 MacBook Pro and so a 2009 Mac-mini. All my machines work about the same or better then when they had Snow Leopard installed. The only problem I am having related to using Adobe Flash 11 for which I am considering uninstalling it.

Some of the problems people have been having using Lion is related to incompatible third party software.

atheros07
Aug 7, 2011, 05:21 PM
The amount of people having issues is very small compared to those who are not having issues. To say that *Lion does not work* is not true.

I have Lion installed on two different Mac computers, 2011 iMac and a 2009 MacBook Pro and so a 2009 Mac-mini. All my machines work about the same or better then when they had Snow Leopard installed. The only problem I am having related to using Adobe Flash 11 for which I am considering uninstalling it.

Some of the problems people have been having using Lion is related to incompatible third party software.

Agreed, it's ridiculous to announce that Lion is completely broken just because a small but vocal minority are posting on message boards. If you're encountering all of these issues with Lion, it must be something with your particular setup or machine. I've had Lion installed on my late 08 MBP since July 20th (clean install) and it's been running beautifully... still not a single hiccup. Definitely have no inclination to go back to Snow Leopard or, God forbid, W7.

vix2000
Sep 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
tl;dr

to the original poster, this might not be in the forum rules, but it sure as hell ought to be!

As should be "if you don't want to read/post anything constructive on a thread why bother reading it in the first place.

As a fairly new apple user this is the most un-friendly forum I have ever joined. Is there some sort of problem asking for other members opinions?

blackburn
Sep 10, 2011, 03:41 PM
As should be "if you don't want to read/post anything constructive on a thread why bother reading it in the first place.

As a fairly new apple user this is the most un-friendly forum I have ever joined. Is there some sort of problem asking for other members opinions?

Yeah when I created a post about lion sucking I've got some hostility too. Many people here defend apple to death even tough apple sometimes screws up (like everybody else).

Seriously I'm getting scared by the direction that computing is taking. Lion, Windows 8 and Gnome 3.0 are getting too much idiot proof, looks like they don't want me to manage my own stuff. If they want to make the os dumb proof give it an option to do the things manually.
Even for the tab key to work correctly you have to make an trip to the terminal, or even to enable the keyboard repeat.

colourfastt
Sep 10, 2011, 03:54 PM

I upgraded from 10.7.1 to 10.6.8 and my iMac runs MUCH better.

kamalds
Sep 10, 2011, 03:58 PM
you seem well suited for an Asus with W7 ... be happy

Well, his Asus machine might be crapy, but my $420 Asus 1201T with Windows 7 runs faster than my Macbook Pro 2010 (same model as yours) running the stupid beachball-stricken P.O.S. LION :mad:

[DL]
Sep 10, 2011, 04:22 PM

Let me try.

If Lion is really that slow for you, and you really can't take it anymore, then sure, you might want to install Windows 7. Or maybe just downgrade to Snow Leopard; that OS was heaven for me.

Silas1066
Sep 12, 2011, 03:54 PM
It sounds to me like there is a hardware issue here

Battery life should not be an issue on a new mac, and the spinning wheel might be a cpu problem.

Now I will tell you what will give me the spinning wheel and issues in general:

FLASH

It runs like crap on Snow Leopard, and Apple and Adobe hate each other.

This is the only issue I have with my macs. Everything else is rock solid.

Now Windows 7 ... my co-workers and I had to get rid of our Windows 7 laptops because of:

1. Blue screens of death 2-3 times a week
2. Losing docking station connectivity, with Windows complaining about "unsupported hardware"
3. Black screens of death on 64bit windows 7
4. Crappy interface (what is the point of the little windows on the bottom of the screen if they are too small to read?)
5. Issues with MS Office: corrupt indexing service, application crashes, etc.

Windows 7 is the worst OS I've ever used: it is even worse than ME.

Now XP was just fine

With OSX Lion, there will be bugs and issues out of the gate--it is a new OS, and I don't recommend that anyone who isn't technically saavy with their Macs, jump right in.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 12, 2011, 04:10 PM

Battery life should not be an issue on a new mac, and the spinning wheel might be a cpu problem.

Now I will tell you what will give me the spinning wheel and issues in general:

FLASH

It runs like crap on Snow Leopard, and Apple and Adobe hate each other.

This is the only issue I have with my macs. Everything else is rock solid.

Now Windows 7 ... my co-workers and I had to get rid of our Windows 7 laptops because of:

1. Blue screens of death 2-3 times a week
2. Losing docking station connectivity, with Windows complaining about "unsupported hardware"
3. Black screens of death on 64bit windows 7
4. Crappy interface (what is the point of the little windows on the bottom of the screen if they are too small to read?)
5. Issues with MS Office: corrupt indexing service, application crashes, etc.

Windows 7 is the worst OS I've ever used: it is even worse than ME.

Now XP was just fine

With OSX Lion, there will be bugs and issues out of the gate--it is a new OS, and I don't recommend that anyone who isn't technically saavy with their Macs, jump right in.

Erm, take your own advice!

Battery life should not be an issue on a new PC, and the BSOD wheel might be a hardware problem.

Steve's Barber
Sep 12, 2011, 04:41 PM

The point?

You're not supposed to "read" and operate your PC from that little window. it's just a representation of the full sized window. :D

The crap people whine about. It's hilarious.

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 12, 2011, 05:18 PM

4. Crappy interface (what is the point of the little windows on the bottom of ...

Yesterday i encoded a movie with Handbrake under Mac OS X. It showed only one (!) horrible small progressbar in the dock!

Conclusion:
Mac OS X is not usable!

;)

weinschela
Sep 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Not my job to persuade you. Have a nice time. I'm happy over here in Mac land but you might just be a Windows person. Good luck, and goodbye.

Lokheed
Sep 12, 2011, 06:24 PM
Stay, go. Whatever. Bye.

farmermac
Sep 12, 2011, 07:22 PM
if i had a choice between lion and win7 i'd take win7.

If SL is an option, go that way.

Lion is a step in the wrong direction. By the time these machines are toast, I hope Mac OS gets re-mac'osed otherwise i'll be joining you in win-world

blackburn
Sep 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
I don't really like windows but it only bsod on me on 3 different occasions: bad ram, defective vga and when messing around with an debugger and tried to do a full ram dump.

My mac had at least two kernel panics with no apparent reason (maybe some buggy driver that was latter on updated).

There are too many variables in the windows world, mac os x on the other hand should never have issues since apple controls the hardware.

Oh and I've experienced kernel panics in linux too so maybe computers don't like me:D

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
I don't really like windows but it only bsod on me on 3 different occasions: bad ram, defective vga and when messing around with an debugger and tried to do a full ram dump.

My mac had at least two kernel panics with no apparent reason (maybe some buggy driver that was latter on updated).

There are too many variables in the windows world, mac os x on the other hand should never have issues since apple controls the hardware.

Oh and I've experienced kernel panics in linux too so maybe computers don't like me:D

You forgot the user variable. :p