Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 2005 National Association of Broadcasters conference started this weekend with exhibits on display starting on Monday.

A special media event from Apple is reported to be taking place on Sunday, April 17th at 11:00am PST. Announcements are expected to include many software updates for their media applications.

Apple held a similar Sunday media event last year and announced updates to Shake, DVD Studio Pro, XSan, Final Cut Pro and introduced Motion. Interestingly, iBook and PowerBook updates were released the following day (Monday) rather than at the media event itself.

Again this year, Apple has been rumored to update PowerMacs, iMacs and eMacs soon.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i don't think your going to see hardware updates at nab.. but who knows :confused: wasn't it last year as well everyone thought that the powerbook g5's were going to show up at the NAB conference anyway?

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Offering My Services!!!

I live here in Las Vegas and would be happy to go and take as many pictures of it all if someone wants to foot the bill for me.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
At least something will get an improvements, or we might just get what Asteriod is suppost to be.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
stukdog said:
I live here in Las Vegas and would be happy to go and take as many pictures of it all if someone wants to foot the bill for me.
Nah, lets just wait for someone that is there already to upload some pics.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I thought NAB started Monday. Oh well, that just means we'll hear from Apple sooner. It could be a good day tomorrow because Apple HAS to update the Powermacs. If they don't then the stocks will keep diving. Don't forget Motion 2. :cool:

Bring it on.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
software updates tomorrow wont surprise me at all, hardware tomorrow would, but perhaps monday or tuesday we will see some updating, lets hope!

wonder if there will be a new app this year or just updates to the current lineup

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I'm hoping for:
- PowerMac Quad G5 (I don't need it, but Apple and pro users need it)
- iBook updates (I'm still keeping hope for an "iBook mini" or similar)
- Apple shares going back up to more than 45$US :D

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Quad G5s

Yvan256 said:
I'm hoping for:
- PowerMac Quad G5 (I don't need it, but Apple and pro users need it)
- iBook updates (I'm still keeping hope for an "iBook mini" or similar)
- Apple shares going back up to more than 45$US :D

I don't understand why apple hasn't doing quad processors. The OS and their multithreaded apps could totally handle it. I would think it would be benificial to offer CPU Modules, so they could sell a single or quad system and then let consumers buy extra cpu modules to boost the CPU if they need it.

It can't be a money thing stoping them, because they could inflate the CPU modules enough to make their profits so it doesn't cut into new system sales.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I'm curious about FCP 5 and its integration with HDV and Tiger's core features. Powermacs better have a Blu-Ray drive. I know it's early but it would get some attention for Apple.

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
the capitol
I kind of don't understand why ibooks would be updated at NAB, especially since PB sales apparently are still lower than expected comparatively, the performance gap is pretty insignificant and wouldn't professionals use PBs anyway?

I'm also curious why PM's need to be updated prior to actual release/adoption of FCP5, I use FCP4/HD on a RevA 2.0 and can't quite see how performance could be better without faster hdd implementation or some major new revision (would having extra cpus have any significant impact on render times? Boris seems about as sluggish on the G5 as G4, and DDR2 apparently offers little to no real-world speed increase...) Maybe a new video-card spec would give them a boost though!

A totally new or revamped audio app would be very nice! Perhaps a more Pro-version of Soundtrack, ie. an updated, optimized OSX-Acid Pro w/ full midi, integrated loop-editing, vst support, ect. as a more linear/studio solution alternative to Live.

Or maybe some sort of real-time dv live-stream editor?...

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
zimtheinvader said:
I kind of don't understand why iBooks would be updated at NAB, especially since PB sales apparently are still lower than expected comparatively, the performance gap is pretty insignificant and wouldn't professionals use PBs anyway?

Not necessarily updated at NAB, but maybe next week?

And the pretty insignificant gap betweek iBooks and the "new" PowerBooks is what leads me to believe to an "iBook mini" coming soon (since iBooks are over-due for an update, according to the average).

By releasing an iBook mini (same specs as the 12" iBook but with a 8" LCD and no optical drive, maybe even 512MB on-board and no memory slot?), they don't eat into PowerBook specs, they don't eat into iBook sales, and they sell a new product at the same time.

Heck, they should even put a 12-in-1 flash reader in the iBook mini to differenciate it from the iBook and PowerBook...

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
ryanw said:
I don't understand why apple hasn't doing quad processors. The OS and their multithreaded apps could totally handle it. I would think it would be benificial to offer CPU Modules, so they could sell a single or quad system and then let consumers buy extra cpu modules to boost the CPU if they need it.

It can't be a money thing stoping them, because they could inflate the CPU modules enough to make their profits so it doesn't cut into new system sales.
Mac OS X 10.3 an earlier are not configured to run on systems with more then two CPUs from what I have seen. Additionally Mac OS X 10.3 an earlier had locking constructs in the kernel called funnels (not the only issue) that as implemented wouldn't allow it (for many types of IO) to leverage more then two CPUs well.

Cannot find the public page on the Apple site at the moment but all I can say is that Tiger is improving things in this space.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Powermacs and eMacs are overdue.

Power Macs have almost gone a year between updates.

eMacs will not be updated at NAB. Doesn't make sense.

Slightly OT - I can't stand people asking about PowerBook updates. You have a while to go for your next refresh- IT HAS ONLY BEEN 75 DAYS SINCE NEW POWERBOOKS CAME OUT.

PowerMacs haven't been updated in 311 days.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

Although I would love to see an "iBook mini" also. how sexy would that be? :)

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
ryanw said:

They haven't done it yet because they don't make the CPUs.
They are dependent on IBM and the dual core CPUs are just now becoming available.
The 970 series wasn't designed to work as more than duals.
That will change with the Dual cores which will allow mother boards with 2 dual cores.
Don't expect to see them before WWDC though.

THX1965

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
NAB is for broadcast and video pros

NAB is NOT about Apple hardware releases. Broadcast and video professionals want to see new versions of Final Cut Pro, Shake, XSAN and Motion.

There is nothing of interest to the avarage consumer going on there. NAB is a highly specialized event and Apple (the pro apps department of Apple) is holding the upcoming Sunday event to cater to that very specific group.

If you are part of this group (like me), then Sunday will be a big and exciting day for you. I can't wait to see how Apple has improved Final Cut Pro with the expected new version 5. They have been listening to their pro customers a lot during the past year and a half. It'll be really interesting to see how that has shaped FCP.

We are expecting better media management, better integration with XSAN, more realtime FX, a better GUI for audio units, various small editorial improvements, tight integration with Tiger and QT7. All that could make FCP 5 a true milestone upgrade. As an editor, I am very excited about that. Anything that'll make my day to day work easier, is great. And that's exactly the reason why I have turned into a passionate FCP fan over the past 2 years.

Yes, new PowerMacs would be nice and are much needed, but that won't be the center of Sunday's announcement.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
PeterQVenkman said:
Slightly OT - I can't stand people asking about PowerBook updates. You have a while to go for your next refresh- IT HAS ONLY BEEN 75 DAYS SINCE NEW POWERBOOKS CAME OUT.

I think many people would argue that the Powerbooks were not updated.
That was the saddest update in the history of the line in my opinion.
Apple had to do something with them because they are becoming FeebleBooks instead PowerBooks.

I believe that the PowerBook is ready for a dual-core G4 from freescale right now, but Apple won't release them for at least 3 or 4 months because they would likely perform as well as the current PowerMacs.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
is it possible for them to squeeze out a signifigantly fsat Front side bud on a g4? i know on a dual core..or single core dual design...but really...

i just realized a very influencial reason that i am going to wait for a g5 powerbook - Logic.

i have to upgrade from my computer because i bought logic 7 and i don't get very much out of it...especially because i want to also use reason as a slave. and logic is ever so processor hungry and is very much a G5 optimized program.

looks like i am in for a crazy wait. maybe an imac while i wait..but i need portable...well...i'll just go complain to myself since i am done complaining here.

Edit: seems folks forgot about fantasia.

might be it.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
Surreal said:
is it possible for them to squeeze out a signifigantly fsat Front side bud on a g4? i know on a dual core..or single core dual design...but really...

i just realized a very influencial reason that i am going to wait for a g5 powerbook - Logic.

i have to upgrade from my computer because i bought logic 7 and i don't get very much out of it...especially because i want to also use reason as a slave. and logic is ever so processor hungry and is very much a G5 optimized program.

looks like i am in for a crazy wait. maybe an imac while i wait..but i need portable...well...i'll just go complain to myself since i am done complaining here.

Edit: seems folks forgot about fantasia.

might be it.

The e600 from freescale which is available in both single and dual core has a 667MHZ memory bus.
The dual core version has 2 memory controllers both able to use DDR2 667MHz.

"This is not your fathers G4" it is a major upgrade over the old Single pathed 200Mhz memory controller of the old G4.

The current G5 only uses DDR 400MHZ

So YES

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
iBook mini?

Pass me some of those drugs. Ultrathin notebooks are premium niche products - they don't sell very well. Why would a student need one? Try and think like a product manager.

The 12" iB and PB are both compact notebooks that are only slightly heavier than a PC ultraslim while offering a built-in optical. This is a better option.

Notebooks w/o optical drives are only good for pissing users off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.