Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
berkleeboy210 said:
Also, even though the Standard Config. PowerMacs say "Same Business Day" The minute you upgrade the RAM Shipping time increases to 2-4 Days....

Well, it's hardly suprising that it takes longer for a "custom" config. You'd guess that the standard config ones are in the boxes and ready to ship.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
hanumang said:
I also wondered about this and was set straight by someone from the discussion forums at Apple. FCP (and DVDSP) do not need QT Pro to function. Yes, I know QT Pro keys are bundled with both applications, but that only effects the QuickTime Player on your machine.

If you don't install the QT Pro key, you can still export to all QuickTime formats (NTSC DV, MPEG4, Sorenson Video 3, etc) from FCP, you just cannot access the advanced functions of QT Player (setting in and out points in the players, downloading movies from the web).

That being said, I'd gather that FCP 5 (or whatever it is called) will shipped with a QT 7 Pro Key.

Yeah, I know you dont need Pro to use FCP for exporting. I use Pro for other tasks after the export. Pro is useful for a whole lot more than what you have outlined above. For the casual personal downloading movie trailers, I am sure that is all they know of what Pro is good for.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
The cheapest Mac you can connect two DVI LCD's to has a pricetag at $1,999.00. Thats just tragical! You get 3 PC's at that price!

• 256MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x128
• 80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL w/256MB GDDR3 SDRAM
• 56k V.92 modem.
• 8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
• Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $1,999.00

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
F/reW/re said:
The cheapest Mac you can connect two DVI LCD's to has a pricetag at $1,999.00. Thats just tragical! You get 3 PC's at that price!

• 56k V.92 modem.

Subtotal $1,999.00

Well Apple's marketshare is increasing, so clearly "price isn't everything."

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
F/reW/re said:

• 56k V.92 modem.

Subtotal $1,999.00

Of course you can keep the 5200 and add a $30 adc -> dvi adapter. :rolleyes:

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
gayle28607 said:
Apple store down...Subject line says it all

Steve Jobs is not at Apple's special NAB event, that says more. Frank Casanova is giving the demos and intros (according to a live blog from NAB).

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Please, no more posts about the Apple store being up or down. It seems to be going on and off regularly as it is probably being "hammered" by everyone checking for new hardware. Which, I think, will not be announced today.

According to a live blog from NAB, nothing really special yet, just talk about Tiger, QT7, native HD video in the new versions of the pro applications.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Update from NAB special event

Blogs and comments about FCP 5 suggest that it is a very significant upgrade, particularly for HD. Now they are introducing Motion 2.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
MikeBike said:
I, on the other hand, from the comments made at the financials meeting, now don't see the Powerbook going dual core. It looks like the g5 camp has won. We may see one more 7448 from Motorola, but then it looks like a low power G5.

I can only hope that by then Apple will be big enough to offer BOTH,
A Dual Core G4 and a G5 powerbook. Two Top of the Line models.

Apple usually doesn't mis-lead the financial analysts.
I've got my finger's crossed.

Im not sure which will come first...Dual G4 or G5 PowerBooks. To be honest I dont think Id trust a G5 PowerBook straight away...with heat etc Im a bit weiry. Dual G4 would be kewl. I would hope that Apple are big enough to release PB and PM updates. I believe that if Apple got their act together they could boost the PMs to much higher levels, (maybe not just CPU speeds etc, add some other real fancy stuff inside that you can no way get in a notebook) and make them much better (not sure if these rumored updates will be much..will have to see when they come). But I do believe both power ranges need updating...the sooner the better. With updates pending for the iBook and iMac etc the gap is closing, especially for the iBook & PowerBook. The sooner the PowerBook can be drastically improved from its current spec the better. Let the iBook worry about the normal everyday use spec and small speed bumps updates.

I dont really want to see PB G5 anytime soon, if we do (highly unlikely) Id want some real proof that the technology is ready. Higher speeds of G4 are good for me. Dual would be a compromise...but definately single core bigger speed bumps.

I like the current designs of them, so just change the insides, please, Apple!! :)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
F/reW/re said:

• 56k V.92 modem.

Subtotal $1,999.00
Just add a $30 ADC-DVI adapter (which effectively turns the ADC port into a DVI output) and you have a $1529 Mac to which you can connect two DVI LCDs.

edit: woops, didn't notice that animefan_1 beat me to it. :)

isoprophlex

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2005
AG-HVX200

the guy from sony was holding the AG-HVX200 at the Apple event.
that camera is going to be amazing :cool:

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
isoprophlex said:
the guy from sony was holding the AG-HVX200 at the Apple event.
that camera is going to be amazing :cool:
That guy might have been from Panasonic. But since you're the one with the info I guess we can go with what you said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.