Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Hi all,

I finally upgraded my 7 year old 12" PowerBook (which is on Leopard) with an 11" i7 MBA the other week.

How can I tell which make of SSD my machine has? Also, Safari seems to always open up with the last window that was open before I close it. How can I get it to open on my selected homepage?

Thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
1.  > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Serial-ATA

2. System Preferences > General > Uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps"

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Thanks for the response. When I went to system info to find out which make my SSD is, I get the following:
APPLE SSD SM256C:

Capacity: 251 GB (251,000,193,024 bytes)
Model: APPLE SSD SM256C
Revision: AXM09A1Q
Serial Number: S0N8NEAB304368
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Medium Type: Solid State
TRIM Support: Yes
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
disk0s1:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s1
Content: EFI
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 250.14 GB (250,140,434,432 bytes)
Available: 233.9 GB (233,901,166,592 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /
Content: Apple_HFS
Recovery HD:
Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s3
Content: Apple_Boot
How can I tell which make of SSD is this from the info above?

Also, I have set my energy saver settings to put my display to sleep after 1 minute of inactivity, and to go to sleep after 10 minutes. After a minute, the display goes to sleep, but I actually have to hit a key to wake the display again (not just run my finger over the trackpad). Not only this, but I have to enter my password each time after the display goes to sleep. Is there any way to stop this? On my old Powerbook, it would not ask me for a password if my display or my computer when to sleep unless I had left it on the login screen beforehand.

Thanks.

pil0tflame

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
London, Ontario
Model: APPLE SSD SM256C

You have the Samsung SSD. "SM" = Samsung

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Require Password...

I think Lion has a "feature" that moving the mouse/touching the trackpad won't wake the system from sleep. A key press or click is required now. I'm sure there must be a way to change this, but I'm not sure how.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Hope you're enjoying your new mac!
I am, thanks, though I do miss my 12" PowerBook. I still have it, but its 7 years is showing, as it really really chugs when it comes to anything flash. It also weighs so much more than m MBA.

I always said I would never upgrade to a laptop without a disc drive when the MBA was first announced a number of years ago, but no I own one!

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
I am, thanks, though I do miss my 12" PowerBook. I still have it, but its 7 years is showing, as it really really chugs when it comes to anything flash. It also weighs so much more than m MBA.

I always said I would never upgrade to a laptop without a disc drive when the MBA was first announced a number of years ago, but no I own one!

At one point I was in the same camp. Then I realized that I rarely ever purchase software anymore. The app store helps that. Remote disk is a really neat feature as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.