PDA

View Full Version : New apps for PowerPC

Nova77
Aug 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hi, I just thought ppc users could share their hard to find apps. Some apps are still universal binary up to this day, but they are becoming hard to find. Post anything useful: audio apps, video apps, web browsing apps, utilities, games.......

Here are some I think any PPC user should have:

Web browser: Tenfourfox 5
Youtube playback : Mactubes 3.0.8
DIVX, AVI, etc : VLC
HD playback: CorePlayer
MSN-like: Adium

Note: Those who say a G4 or G5 is too old and real slow, please get out of here. Let's face it, problems you get on a PPC are not a matter of power but of compatibility

Heavertron
Aug 11, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi, I just thought ppc users could share their hard to find apps. Some apps are still universal binary up to this day, but they are becoming hard to find. Post anything useful: audio apps, video apps, web browsing apps, utilities, games.......

Here are some I think any PPC user should have:

Web browser: Tenfourfox 5
Youtube playback : Mactubes 3.0.8
DIVX, AVI, etc : VLC
HD playback: CorePlayer
MSN-like: Adium

Note: Those who say a G4 or G5 is too old and real slow, please get out of here. Let's face it, problems you get on a PPC are not a matter of power but of compatibility

Where can I download CorePlayer? Google hasn't helped me.

Nova77
Aug 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
Where can I download CorePlayer? Google hasn't helped me.

Here http://www.mobihand.com/130/homesoftware.asp

Says "Coreplayer Mobile for OS X" I know the "mobile" makes it sound confusing, but its the right one. It costs $20. It is 300% (not kidding) faster than quicktime player because it is optimized for altivec and uses far less cpu ressources.

adcx64
Aug 11, 2011, 04:55 PM
IMO, Camino is the fastest browser for my iBook, PowerBook, and eMac.....

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 11, 2011, 05:23 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This truly is laughable. The lack of power of my PowerBook G4 cost me a night of sleep once when I was in college. I had to edit and export a video that I shot, all in 1080p. It edited decently, but it was still slow. When it came time to export, it took 3 hours to export a video 7 minutes long. My MacBook that I have now (which would have been about a year old at the time) can do the same video in about 1/3 of the time.

No compatibility issue there, as the software was running perfectly.

I have a lot of respect for the PPC Macs, and my wife is currently quite satisfied with my PBG4. They have aged very well. But to say that the problems you get on PPC Macs are not related to power but to compatibility is simply not true or accurate. YOU may be content with a PPC Mac, but that doesn't mean it fulfills the needs of others.

Nova77
Aug 11, 2011, 06:20 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This truly is laughable. The lack of power of my PowerBook G4 cost me a night of sleep once when I was in college. I had to edit and export a video that I shot, all in 1080p. It edited decently, but it was still slow. When it came time to export, it took 3 hours to export a video 7 minutes long. My MacBook that I have now (which would have been about a year old at the time) can do the same video in about 1/3 of the time.

I have a lot of respect for the PPC Macs, and my wife is currently quite satisfied with my PBG4. They have aged very well. But to say that the problems you get on PPC Macs are not related to power but to compatibility is simply not true or accurate. YOU may be content with a PPC Mac, but that doesn't mean it fulfills the needs of others.

This thread is for those using PPC macs that want to get new apps. Whats wrong with getting new apps? A PPC is not good for you? OK. Then don't look at this post.

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
This thread is for those using PPC macs that want to get new apps.

I use a PPC Mac (or at least support one so my wife can continue to use it) and am thus always interested in getting new apps for it to improve its functionality and life. Thus this thread, according to you, is for me.

You brought up the subject of speed never being an issue and compatibility always being the issue. If you didn't want that to be a part of this thread, why did you bring it up?

Whats wrong with getting new apps?

Absolutely nothing, and I think it's awesome that people are continuing to provide some support to a platform that Apple has completely dropped! And, if you read my post, you'll see I actually did not comment on whether or not it was a good thing that PPC users are still getting new apps.

A PPC is not good for you? OK. Then don't look at this post.

You missed the entire point of my post. My point was that you made a claim about PPC Macs that was totally unfounded and erroneous. You also seemed to miss all that I said about PPC Macs at the end. I still love my wife's PowerBook and am continually impressed with how well it runs for its age.

zen.state
Aug 11, 2011, 06:54 PM
iThinkergoiMac seems to want to make this thread all about him and his own experiences as if they speak for all of us.

Other great and still developed PowerPC apps:

Max (great audio ripper)
Camino PowerPC builds
Alarm Clock (the name explains it)
Omniweb (another great browser)
WeatherDock (best weather app ever on the Mac)
The Unarchiver (opens virtually every compressed file format that has ever existed)
X-Chat Aqua (solid IRC client)
iTunes

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 11, 2011, 07:15 PM
iThinkergoiMac seems to want to make this thread all about him and his own experiences as if they speak for all of us.

I'm sorry I ever posted in this thread.

That is far from what I'm trying to do. To say that the only problems that can be encountered on a PPC Mac are compatibility related is simply not true. I was simply pointing that out. I have not anywhere here (or ever) said or implied that PPC Macs are bad or shouldn't be used. I think they're great, though slow for what I want to do.

I have not condemned PPC Macs yet some in this thread are acting as if I have. I'm simply pointing out the error of a statement, a rather large one I might add.

adcx64
Aug 11, 2011, 07:24 PM
MPEG Streamclip is another great PPC media converting app, it can also convert a video file into audio file which is really handy IMO. I find it works great on a G4.

ViviUO
Aug 11, 2011, 07:26 PM
I don't really know.

I do use PS CS4 on my MDD when my MBP is crunching something else, though. I know CS4 isn't exactly new, but it still gets the job done, albeit slowly.

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
As for good PPC apps, one of my favorites is NicePlayer. It does a good job playing videos, and it uses the GPU to accelerate playback if said GPU accelerates Core Video/Animation. My PBG4 in my sig can play back 720p video without a hitch. Combined with Perian and Flip4Mac, it'll play pretty much anything.

It's a good way to get HD playback on a PPC Mac without shelling out for CorePlayer.

Nova77
Aug 12, 2011, 07:24 AM
I use a PPC Mac (or at least support one so my wife can continue to use it) and am thus always interested in getting new apps for it to improve its functionality and life. Thus this thread, according to you, is for me.

You brought up the subject of speed never being an issue and compatibility always being the issue. If you didn't want that to be a part of this thread, why did you bring it up?

Absolutely nothing, and I think it's awesome that people are continuing to provide some support to a platform that Apple has completely dropped! And, if you read my post, you'll see I actually did not comment on whether or not it was a good thing that PPC users are still getting new apps.

You missed the entire point of my post. My point was that you made a claim about PPC Macs that was totally unfounded and erroneous. You also seemed to miss all that I said about PPC Macs at the end. I still love my wife's PowerBook and am continually impressed with how well it runs for its age.

Dude... I did not say "power is NEVER an issue"... You should get the main idea, which is : keep away people that say PPC macs are too slow to use. When I say power is not an issue, I mean it is not an issue when it comes to "is this a viable computer?" --> yes. Yeah right my sentence was not so precise, but man, why such a big post... When I say power is not an issue, it is ********** true if you keep in mind what a PPC IS.... a computer that kicks ass as a consumer product, and is still viable as an audio workstation or photoshop editing machine. I took for granted readers would actually know what a PPC is, and so understand my statement about compatibility being the main issue.

Do you try to edit HD video on a mac mini without separate GPU?... NO.. Because it's not made for that (well now it is becoming more arguable, but anyways, you get the idea). PPC macs do not lack any power for 99% of everydays tasks, unless you do 1080p video edit and stuff. I'd never do pro video these days on a PPC mac, well unless its a G5 quad....

Hope this clarifies it all and we can get back to getting apps. Cause thats all that matters, really. Peace!

P.S.: Should have added "compatibility AND optimisation is the main issue over power". When you see most apps don't use the graphics card at all, or don't have even the smallest altivec support.... I can say that without a doubt, we will never see the full power of an old G4 unleashed, because coders have become lazy and rely on bigger machines to compensate their lack of optimisation. Even the lowest G4 has the potential to do some amazing things we will never see it do. However, some apps help. Tried Tenfourfox 5 on an old 533mhz G4, and its 2X faster than firefox 3. On my G4 MDD, TFF5 is actually as fast as on my dad's macbookpro 2009. So, yeah, apps have something to do with speed more than "raw ghz power"... that is the point.

zen.state
Aug 12, 2011, 09:06 AM
The key to code for G4 and G5 chips performing well is based on how well the altivec code is written. Some one that really knows what they're doing can increase performance by up to 6x. Seriously..

Badrottie
Aug 12, 2011, 02:58 PM
We all powerPC must admit all apps for powerPC are dead now! Our future is finished.

Contiguous
Aug 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hey, this thread is pretty useful. I just upgraded to a 2011 MBP, but my 2004 iMac G5 17" still works perfectly fine (well, OK, mostly fine.) Going to clean it up and install some of these apps - isn't it always the truth, once you upgrade you start treating your old machines better?

(I also find it hilarious that my brother, who excoriated us for spending so much money on Macs, has ditched his $700 Toshiba laptop for the aforementioned G5. Heh heh.)

zen.state
Aug 12, 2011, 05:36 PM
We all powerPC must admit all apps for powerPC are dead now! Our future is finished.

Speak for yourself...

kevin242
Aug 12, 2011, 07:10 PM

Other great and still developed PowerPC apps:

Max (great audio ripper)
Camino PowerPC builds
Alarm Clock (the name explains it)
Omniweb (another great browser)
WeatherDock (best weather app ever on the Mac)
The Unarchiver (opens virtually every compressed file format that has ever existed)
X-Chat Aqua (solid IRC client)
iTunes

thank you for Max and Weather dock, two really good apps.

as far as Powerpc macs being useful. If you are willing to tweak your machine a little they are still very useful. I love my powerbook g4 15" would i love a macbook? sure, but this is what i have and whoever was talking about doing video editing on a g4, i mean come on please get real.

I still prefer Leopard, Safari (occasionally tenfourfox/camino, but safari works best for my needs) to windows 7!!!

One last thing, Apple hasnt abandoned the PPC. yesterday i updated OS X, itunes and Safari... so i think its unfair to say they have completely forgotten about us. Unfortunately most if not all new apps will not be ppc compatible, but it has been a long time since they switched to intel.

iJasonTATE
Aug 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
Warblade is a fun game. I play it alot on my iMac G4

iJasonTATE
Aug 12, 2011, 09:55 PM
I've always had a PPC.

vohdoun
Aug 13, 2011, 08:03 AM
Speak for yourself...

Indeed. My main machine is still a PPC Dual G5 even though I have an Octo Mac Pro with Lion but the PPC is still very special to me. Just gone 6 years old now a month past.

Riky.loebis
Aug 13, 2011, 09:58 AM

HAHAHA
it's so funny.

i still use ibook g3 clamshell and imac g4 sunflower.
watch movies .avi .dat .flv use mpeg streamclip.app
surf on internet G3 and G4 use firefox

i think when Mac were used PowerPC is truly different with PC,,,
but now?
correct me if i wrong

oh yah??
future is mystery, nobody all unknow what happen!
:apple:

Nova77
Aug 13, 2011, 10:52 AM
.... How this post has become a catfight (PPC users vs Intel users) is very disapointing...

If you swear by Intel and don't like PPC, I urge you to get out.

If you are a frustrated PPC user, this is not the place to fight either.

Do I need to repeat it so ppl get what this thread is???

SHARE SOME APPS....
SHARE SOME APPS....
SHARE SOME APPS....
SHARE SOME APPS....
SHARE SOME APPS....
SHARE SOME APPS....
SHARE SOME APPS....
SHARE SOME APPS....

kevin242
Aug 13, 2011, 11:29 AM
this thread has been useful to me (weather app and max) i would like to share with you guys some of the apps i use:

I have perian set up for quicktime, and i have a video app optimized for g4 but honestly I use the last power pc VLC and it works great.

I have Office 2004, i know 2008 will work with ppc, but word 2004 is pretty powerful (enough for my needs) and it is zippy on my powerbook.

I also use the 2004 version of Photoshop again it runs quickly and i am not doing professional work (amateur photographer, so i use it to touch up photos and to add effects or alter lighting).

I use the last version of Transmission for powerpc to download bit torrents and it works great. I mostly download videos which i play with VLC without a problem unless they are really hi def (see below)

I have Skype and a little cam which i used quite a bit to talk to my parents when I was living (until recently) in another state. It worked like a charm.

I have ten four fox, camino, opera and Safari installed. I really like safari, especially since I enabled developer mode, this way i pretend i am an iPad and many sites will display videos in quicktime instead of shockwave.

Ive used adium but i only use yahoo for messenging these days, so i have yahoo messenger installed and it works great.

I use Visual Hub to convert videos. I have had to use a couple times to render 1080p or 720p videos down to play properly on my powerbook.

Finally I use Ifreemem because I have only 1gb of memory and if i use the laptop for hours it frees the memory in 2 minutes and makes it run like it just booted.

Thats all i can think of at the moment, but my little powerbook is way better than a pc laptop for my needs and I only had around 200 bucks to work with when I bought it earlier this year. I paid 165 and the only upgrades i have had to do have been in software. I planned on upgrading the ram and hd but I really see little need. I don't get the arguments here. If anything i find it amazing that an almost 10 year old product is still doing what most people do these days on their new laptops. When I bring it to the laundry mat or other places with wifi i always get people saying "wow cool laptop" it looks like a macbook and it does anything you would expect a modern laptop to do what more could i hope for at this price?

zen.state
Aug 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
kevin242:

This is the best video player for PowerPC when it comes to low CPU usage. If you try it out be sure to set the preferences exactly as shown in the screen shots of the 1st post. It's no longer developed though so I didn't list it here earlier.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1129727&highlight=

vohdoun
Aug 13, 2011, 11:36 AM
Alfred
Applejack
Transmit
Candybar
Chat Transcript Manager
Flickr Uploadr
FontExplorer X Pro
Magical
MenuCalendarClock
MPlayer OSX Extended
Temperature Monitor (personally I prefer the iStat Dashboard widgets)
SuperDuper
VirusBarrier X6
VLC

I still use AppZapper, Transmission 2.22 (12099) the last version before it went Intel only.

As already been said, ClickToFlash but the extension is so much better than the plugin. I mainly view everything in HTML5.

Extensions:
AdBlock
JavaScript Blacklist
Ghostery
Ultimate Status Bar
Middle-Click AutoScroll
A Cleaner YouTube
Shortly
FacebookBlocker
Cloudy

Nova77
Aug 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
thanks guys, I'll check these out! Glad to see we are back on track ;)

zen.state
Aug 13, 2011, 11:53 AM
I still use AppZapper

AppCleaner (http://www.macupdate.com/download/39393/AppCleaner1.2.2.dmg) is very similar, just as good and freeware.

It's no longer developed for PowerPC but the slightly older one I link to above is universal and works great in 10.4 and 10.5.

RMT25
Aug 14, 2011, 12:58 PM
you guys all forgot about:

Bean, it's a word processing app. opens in a second

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

ThunderSnake
Aug 14, 2011, 07:57 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention these:

Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/download.html), IMHO, is essential for those who enjoy maintaining older PPC machines. It makes transferring your entire drive to a new drive or RAID setup an absolute snap. CCC is pretty much "pay what you can afford" software. I'm ashamed to say that I used it for nearly a year before paying anything.

HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/) is pretty handy for encoding video for your iPod or ripping DVDs. The preset toggles make it a no-brainer for people who don't work with video daily. However, there are also plenty of options for user-defined parameters if one feels so inclined. I believe that the last PPC version is Handbrake 0.9.4 (http://mac.oldapps.com/handbrake.php?old_handbrake=22). HandBrake is open source GPL.

KurtangleTN
Aug 14, 2011, 08:48 PM
I like the idea of TenFourFox but it seems slow on all my PPC computers.. from my PowerMac G4 to my Pismo. Maybe it performs significantly better on faster ones though.

I still like Camino, and the new beta version is pretty great.

Though my favorite browser right now is Omniweb 5.11, it's very fast, pretty light weight.. the only issue is the tab bar is on the side...

zen.state
Aug 14, 2011, 09:02 PM
you guys all forgot about:

Bean, it's a word processing app. opens in a second

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

I can't forget about apps I don't use. The only good thing you think to say about it is that it opens fast. Thats great and all but that is a very silly reason to give as a positive. How about how it works/runs?

I have been a Word user since 1996 and recently upgraded to Office 2011 (Intel only) on my MacBook. Office 2004 and 2008 are very solid on PowerPC though.

Nova77
Aug 14, 2011, 09:58 PM
I like the idea of TenFourFox but it seems slow on all my PPC computers.. from my PowerMac G4 to my Pismo. Maybe it performs significantly better on faster ones though.

I still like Camino, and the new beta version is pretty great.

Though my favorite browser right now is Omniweb 5.11, it's very fast, pretty light weight.. the only issue is the tab bar is on the side...

Tenfourfox 4 was slow on my PPCs too... But Tenfourfox 5 is a fast beast!!

KurtangleTN
Aug 14, 2011, 11:54 PM
Tenfourfox 4 was slow on my PPCs too... But Tenfourfox 5 is a fast beast!!

Hmm, odd I've got 5 on all my Macs and it still seems sluggish.. even things like the control panels are sluggish for me.

I see 6 RC is out now so I'll probably go ahead and try that soon.

Nilscollection
Aug 15, 2011, 01:48 AM
I'll list all of the apps I'm using:

- iTunes
- Photoshop CS3
- Candybar
- Handbrake
- iBank
- VLC
- Rucksack (unzip / unrar)
- Office 2008
- uTorrent
- MacTubes
- Cloud
- Toast 10 Titanium

evilcat
Aug 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
I had an HD rip of the first Star Wars movie in MKV format and while QT could play it (so long as you didn't want to ffqwd and didn't mind waiting for the thing to buffer), the best app I discovered for playing that video was Movist, which is available at http://code.google.com/p/movist/

I don't think it's been updated too often, but it does the job. It's ridiculous that 4 cores at 2.5GHz can't play back 1080i because of the way the regular apps are coded!

I would go with Safari over TenFourFox at this point if you browse Flash-heavy sites and are using Leopard. Flash just kills 104fox.

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 16, 2011, 10:19 PM
I would go with Safari over TenFourFox at this point if you browse Flash-heavy sites and are using Leopard. Flash just kills 104fox.

Any PPC user should be using some sort of flash-blocking plugin for their own sanity.

Jmouse
Aug 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
Also looking for some nice program to use.

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 16, 2011, 10:28 PM
Also looking for some nice program to use.

Way too vague. To do what?

Jmouse
Aug 17, 2011, 12:15 AM
Way too vague. To do what?

Sorry , bit of a slacker today.

Just fun stuff to do / play with. Most of the apps now are for intel macs only.

cocacolakid
Aug 17, 2011, 02:29 AM
FlashtoHTML5 is a Safari extension that automatically makes Safari play Youtube videos in HTML5. It works great and it's free.

I know you can opt into the HTML5 trial on the Youtube page, but if you clear your cookies you have to go back and re-opt in. This solves that and in my experience seems to work better anyway.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34428/flashtohtml5

It does require 10.5.8 and Safari 5.0 or later.

MacinDan
Aug 18, 2011, 02:08 AM
Here's some more apps whose latest versions still support PPC:

OpenOffice (office suite)
LibreOffice (offshoot of OpenOffice)
ToyViewer (lightweight imageviewer/editor)
Seashore (another image editor)
Burn (disc burning)
Vox (music player)
SABnzbd (Usenet downloader)
Celestia (astronomy simulator)
Mini vMac (Mac Plus emulator)
Sheepshaver (MacOS 7-9 emulator)

jimyjoe
Aug 18, 2011, 04:53 AM
I am new to macs and have just got myself a dual 2.0ghz ppc and i am looking for a peice of software that will copy a dvd for me a bit like dvdfab would for windows but on mac. I have handbreak but its not really what i am after i want to make an identical copy of a dvd.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be a great help.

Many thanks

Joe

Nova77
Aug 18, 2011, 08:30 AM
I am new to macs and have just got myself a dual 2.0ghz ppc and i am looking for a peice of software that will copy a dvd for me a bit like dvdfab would for windows but on mac. I have handbreak but its not really what i am after i want to make an identical copy of a dvd.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be a great help.

Many thanks

Joe

I think Mactheripper is what you're after! Takes me about 15 min to rip a DVD on my G4 1.67ghz laptop for a complete copy (menu and all the stuff...). Works well.

jimyjoe
Aug 18, 2011, 11:07 AM
I think Mactheripper is what you're after! Takes me about 15 min to rip a DVD on my G4 1.67ghz laptop for a complete copy (menu and all the stuff...). Works well.

Thanks for that.

Joe

MacSince1990
Aug 18, 2011, 03:25 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Trying to edit 1080p video on a machine with only 2 GB of RAM is a bit silly. Of course it's going to be slow. Also please note that the PowerBook G4 wouldn't support Core Image, which would slow it down considerably in many instances, no fault of the CPU's.

Comparing a PB G4 to a new MacBook is somewhat silly, though... higher clockspeed, loads more cache, an actual memory architecture, and oh, two cores not one.

You probably would have done okay on a Dual 1.42 GHz G4, and fine on a Dual or Quad G5.

victoral.com
Aug 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

What codec did you use? The one that came with your camcorder? Thats weak. You should have exported the files that came from your camera to the Apple Intermediate Codec, then use either iMovie HD or Final Cut (Pro or Express). And Exporting to the final MP4 or h.264 MOV file would have taken no more than a few minutes. Serously! I'm not kidding! This is my workflow.

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 19, 2011, 06:17 AM
What codec did you use? The one that came with your camcorder? Thats weak. You should have exported the files that came from your camera to the Apple Intermediate Codec, then use either iMovie HD or Final Cut (Pro or Express).

Hey man, look who's so awesome! This is exactly what I did, don't presume to know how my workflow goes from one single post! I went to college for this stuff, and while that doesn't mean I know everything, it does mean I know way more than you think I do. If you must know, I captured HDV, converted to AIC, edited in FCP 5, and then exported to MPEG-4.

And Exporting to the final MP4 or h.264 MOV file would have taken no more than a few minutes. Serously! I'm not kidding! This is my workflow.

Now look who knows so much. H.264 is a very slow codec to encode, much slower than MPEG-4. My MacBook can't encode H.264 at real-time, so there's no way my PBG4 can. I exported to MPEG-4, but it still took forever because of the filters and video it had to process.

I don't know how you think you can determine my entire workflow from a single post. I'm not going to detail my entire workflow for everyone, as most people don't want to hear it, nor is it relevant to this thread. That was an assumption on an incredible scale, you basically didn't use much information from my post and assumed that I idiotically don't know how to edit video. Try again.

kevin242
Aug 19, 2011, 10:07 AM
thanks, this thread is great. I have picked up quite a few applications (most recently celestia!) another great app I've used with my power book is Playback. It lets you stream (or upload) music and videos to a ps3 or xbox 360. It worked like a charm with my ex's ps3. I would upload videos to her ps3 and watch them on the big screen.

Nova77
Aug 19, 2011, 01:18 PM
Again, catfight is stupid. Just post some PPC apps or get out. Thanks for those who took their time to give a list of apps :)

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 19, 2011, 03:28 PM
Again, catfight is stupid. Just post some PPC apps or get out. Thanks for those who took their time to give a list of apps :)

You're right, I've done a really bad job with derailing this thread. My apologies, I shall do it no more.

I also really need to stop posting right after I've woken up... poor judgement.

Drew017
Aug 20, 2011, 01:39 PM
I think that if you have a PPC Mac like I do (iBook G3), you aren't totally out dated. I have Tiger, and I'm happy. I use it all the time.:D As far as power goes, many PPC Macs will work great if they are in good condition pretty much. I agree with the fact that Intel processors are more compatible, but PPC Macs work great for those who don't want to upgrade yet!

Anyway... Here are some good apps...

Virtue Desktops (Spaces for Tiger)

Firefox

Theme Park

Monolingual (Saved me 1 GB of space! It works in Tiger and Leopard... but be sure not to remove your architecture!)

Audacity (Great recording program)
................................................................................................

Anyway... to all you Power PC users, I salute you. We can make this work!

YanniDepp
Aug 25, 2011, 08:54 AM
I use Uno on Tiger to get rid of the brushed metal theme and give everything the 'grey unified' window borders.

http://gui.interacto.net/

I can confirm that it works on a G3 iMac.

zen.state
Aug 25, 2011, 08:58 AM
I use Uno on Tiger to get rid of the brushed metal theme and give everything the 'grey unified' window borders.

http://gui.interacto.net/

I can confirm that it works on a G3 iMac.

Uno is great and an absolute must on Tiger. Was a staple utility for me in my Tiger days.

raysfan81
Aug 26, 2011, 07:44 PM
Anyone know why Floodgap has been down for so long? I haven't upgraded to Tenfourfox 5 yet on my MDD since I haven't used it in a while. :(

Nova77
Aug 26, 2011, 08:57 PM
Anyone know why Floodgap has been down for so long? I haven't upgraded to Tenfourfox 5 yet on my MDD since I haven't used it in a while. :(

"Due to circumstances beyond our control, services hosted on Floodgap servers are temporarily down or redirected
This is due to our ISP, Time Warner, being unable to install our new line within a prompt interval while we were migrating our data center. We hope this can be accomplished within 5-7 days.

The inconvenience is regretted"

from http://www.floodgap.com/

raysfan81
Aug 26, 2011, 09:03 PM
"Due to circumstances beyond our control, services hosted on Floodgap servers are temporarily down or redirected
This is due to our ISP, Time Warner, being unable to install our new line within a prompt interval while we were migrating our data center. We hope this can be accomplished within 5-7 days.

The inconvenience is regretted"

from http://www.floodgap.com/

Lol I saw that but Its been longer than 7 days now I'm pretty sure. :p

ThunderSnake
Aug 26, 2011, 09:44 PM

http://tenfourfox.googlecode.com/files/TenFourFox7450-5.0.app.zip

raysfan81
Aug 27, 2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks man. I stumbled upon that last night in another thread too! :)

Drew017
Aug 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
I use shapeshifter in Tiger, and for me it works beautifully!

More good apps ↓

Firefox
Transmission
Timer
Todos
SpotInside
Sketchbox
Solitare XL
Quicksilver
Remote Desktop Connection
Monolingual
Microsoft Office
Mactracker
Miro
Google Earth
FastIcns
Themepark

Tucom
Aug 27, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'm surprised there's no mention of Ableton -

Ableton Suite and Live 8 are both impressively well optimized (maybe, it at least runs better on a dual core 2.3Ghz than a Pentium D 3.2Ghz) for PPC and quite useable, though even just my Core 2 Duo Mac Mini 2.0Ghz embarrasses both of them (Dell and G5).

So yeah, Ableton.

Mixxx - awesome open-source DJ software!

The version prior to the most recent version of Serato Scratch LIVE

Hopefully more to come? But PPC is dead, like it or not. But still awesome that there are apps coming out for them, if anything for the nostalgic value.

AndTheNightmare
Aug 28, 2011, 02:00 PM
I just bought a G5 dual 2GHZ for $200 and it was worth it. A lot of applications I use go back to the early 2000's and those programs RAN FINE back on my old G4 500. With new releases, things get bogged down, while at the core the application is the same.

Mind you, the G5 is my secondary computer, a core i5 wintel is my primary desktop now.

Apps I use
Logic Pro 8 (has a crazy amount of instruments - runs fine)
Final Cut Pro 6 (still a perfectly good offline edit system)
Garageband v1 (iLife 04 - really lightweight, runs fine)
iMovie 04
iPhoto 04
Autodesk Combustion (compositing software)
After Effects CS3
Photoshop CS3
Pro Tools 8 (only 1.5 years old, fully compatible with all versions of Pro Tools)
Color
iTunes
Compressor

I don't have it installed, but Avid Media Composer Software Only v3 works good if you are a video editor.

I'm in a band and we use Reason on a G4 867 12" powerbook. The thing is stupid slow for youtube, but we can write beats on it just fine! Anything without Flash runs pretty well.

I work at a post production facility and even in 2011, we still use a few G5s for audio editorial.

Nameci
Aug 30, 2011, 01:58 AM
This is not a new app, this is actually an old app. Appleworks 6.

I just can't believe that the old apps runs much better and more efficient than the new ones. And it runs fast, I think the old codes are more efficient and optimized than the newer ones, of course without the eye candy which does nothing to improve performance but more of a memory hog.

RMT25
Aug 30, 2011, 06:27 PM
big +1 for appleworks 6. i thought i was the only one that still had that lying around

Nameci
Aug 30, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have tried iWork (different versions, Office 2008) but I still keep coming back to AppleWorks... it is simple, fast and nothing fancy and eye candy...

And have lately dumped Safari for Camino (G4 version)...

zen.state
Aug 30, 2011, 07:19 PM
And have lately dumped Safari for Camino (G4 version)...

There is a G5 build also incase you didn't know. Just so you know you could have an optimized build on both the Macs in your sig.

vohdoun
Sep 2, 2011, 07:18 AM

6.01 is the latest but plugins are disabled.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/

Nameci
Sep 2, 2011, 09:19 AM
There is a G5 build also incase you didn't know. Just so you know you could have an optimized build on both the Macs in your sig.

Thanks Zen, actually I am already running on both with respective optimized builds for G5 and G5. I find that Camino weighs lighter than safari in terms of memory used that is probably why it is more faster in page load up times than safari on older machines.

vohdoun
Sep 18, 2011, 06:49 PM
Click to Flash Safari Extension no longer compatible with Power PC? it crashes with 2.5.1 and is then no longer listed.

Safari may crash when updating to ClickToPlugin 2.5+ on 32-bit Macs. If that happens, re-install version 2.4.1, uninstall it, and then install the latest version.

http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/