Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bassdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Somehow, my google fu has failed me. Programs like magnifique do not seem to work for Lion and i can't find any themes at all. I'm new to mac, so i don't know if this is even possible?
I really don't like the grey "graphite" theme and would like something black. Hell, i even prefer the universal access black "theme" for handicapped people.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
without hacking there is very little you can change. the wallpaper and aqua/graphite and the location of the dock are just about it by default. it is not tunable like linux is. you can't even change the icon set easily without replacing system files.

bassdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
so what are my options? Are there any specific programs i can download? for christs sake, i just want to change the colour - even windows lets you do that..

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
And to say you *just* want to change the colour :eek:. That's blasphemy to :apple:. There is theme stuff out there still but it is a very grey area (irony) and they have made it harder to do with each release - just realise that you don't actually want to change the colour scheme and you'll be fine.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
There are theming apps out there. If I'm not mistaken the major ones are developed by Unsanity. But there may be others.

http://unsanity.com/products

The last time I was heavily into theming was during my time with Windows XP. Most of my stuff is on Customize.org. I left the scene completely when I went back to Mac in April 2006. I played with Linux briefly before then.

http://customize.org/LTD/gallery

Downgrade to Snow Leopard.

I'm not sure how this will help.

Last edited:

bassdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
thanks for all of your replies! I guess it looks pretty bleak then.
I can't be the only one who wants to do this though, so there must be some clever people out there who've been able to successfully do this for Lion..

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I can't be the only one who wants to do this though, so there must be some clever people out there who've been able to successfully do this for Lion..

I think it's a little early to expect Lion versions just yet (again, I'm making assumptions here), so maybe give it another month?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

The apple experience means you give up a lot of ability to change the look and feel of OSX. Waiting won't do much, just look at the how much theming is available on Snow Leopard, Leopard. Apple quite effectively quashed the OSX theming community early on.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Mainly because they don't want you to be able to. Probably the #1 reason is so that phone tech support can help more easily assuming standard icons and themes, and so that at least in theory, all apps in the OS look consistent - iCal and Address Book of new being the obvious latest hypocrisies there....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
oh ok, and why is it so hard to customise compared to windows?

Simply because apple does not want you too. Not to sound like I'm bashing apple, but they have their reasons, like consistent look and feel, stability not messing with system resources. Regardless, there is a small theming community but its a ghost of what it used to be in the early days of OSX\.

bassdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
i meant software wise - i mean microsoft doesn't really want you to install third party theming software either. Does apple implement extra levels of protection then?

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
"oh ok, and why is it so hard to customise compared to windows?"

Honestly?

Because Steve Jobs is a dick.

tfalves

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
There are also more plausible reasons, like the "usability". There are plenty of studies when it comes to designing a GUI, and, in my opinion, that's the real motive behind the "locked" personalization. See it this way:
1- A user changes the whole interface...
2- Suddenly, things are not as solid as before, everything is harder to reach and to locate.
3- The user takes more time to successfully complete a task, if he ever gets to finnish it...

Who do you think is going to lose with this? Apple loses a costumer, and the user loses a good user experience... and that's what apple is all about, "User Experience". The guys at apple's design dept. (probably) studied how users behave and try to shape the system according to those users. This makes the whole OS more productive for whoever uses it.

Reactions: Jeremiah63015

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
"oh ok, and why is it so hard to customise compared to windows?"

Honestly?

Because Steve Jobs is a dick.

No, it's because an interface like OS X's shouldn't need theming in the first place. Apple actually puts work into the design. That's why Apple has the best-designed consumer OS in the industry.

Messing with system files is not good for across-the-board usability, and also defeats the purpose of Apple's design.

There are also more plausible reasons, like the "usability". There are plenty of studies when it comes to designing a GUI, and, in my opinion, that's the real motive behind the "locked" personalization. See it this way:
1- A user changes the whole interface...
2- Suddenly, things are not as solid as before, everything is harder to reach and to locate.
3- The user takes more time to successfully complete a task, if he ever gets to finnish it...

Who do you think is going to lose with this? Apple loses a costumer, and the user loses a good user experience... and that's what apple is all about, "User Experience". The guys at apple's design dept. (probably) studied how users behave and try to shape the system according to those users. This makes the whole OS more productive for whoever uses it.

Exactly.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
well, the negative effect is still there (System Preferences>Universal Access>Switch to White on Black).

there are small things you can do; for example, i have ALWAYS had a black menubar...and do now in lion.

here: black menubar

macthemes.net is a good place to explore theming, but...there's not a lot going on these days. apple makes it very difficult...

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Probably screw it up. But as stated. You are going to need to learn how to do this for yourself. I mean you can grab old skins and port them to Lion using Lions image files. Make backups and go for it. It does take an awfully long time. Get "Themepark" and start editing your system images or drag and drop the 10.6 theme into the 10.7 bins. Or wait till a good 10.7 theme emerges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.