PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.4 Release Event

MacRumors
Apr 20, 2005, 06:42 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has previously announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/04/20050412094132.shtml) that they will be releasing Mac OS X Tiger on April 29th at 6pm with special in-store events across the country.

The world-wide release is expected to bring giveaways akin to previous release parties. Mac OS X 10.3 release parties gave away Panther Dog Tags (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031024165610.shtml) as well as mousepads. Stores will also be giving away door prizes (such as PowerBooks and iPods).

All in-store Macs will come with Tiger DVD's so any new Macs purchased on that day will come with a copy of Mac OS X 10.4. Of note, retail packages only contain DVD media of Mac OS X 10.4. Users which require CD versions of Tiger must mail in (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/) for Apple's Media Exchange Program which offers Tiger on CD for $9.95.

topgunn
Apr 20, 2005, 06:43 AM
Any possibilty of "Lucky Bags"?

Sky Blue
Apr 20, 2005, 06:44 AM
I hope there's not a major delay on the UK discs being sent out like last time :(

DeepDish
Apr 20, 2005, 06:46 AM
God how I wish I could make it to open of these Apple Events.

I sucks living somewhere with no Apple Store for 6 hours in any direction.

DD

yoak
Apr 20, 2005, 06:54 AM
Sucks to live no closer than 2 hours on PLANE to an Apple Store.
Good luck to the ones who can attend :D

_bnkr612
Apr 20, 2005, 06:56 AM
Hmmm, might have use a sick day or research day and show up with a tent and propane stove.

Somsetters get ready! I'll bring the keg!

Better get there early!

Manatee
Apr 20, 2005, 06:57 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing what they're giving away this time. I went to the last one, at the Clarendon, VA store, and there were all sorts of Mac geeks lined up on the sidewalk, waiting for the store to open. They were comparing Mac hardware and knowledge of Apple trivia. I wish Triumph had been there for interviews and commentary. ;)

deputy_doofy
Apr 20, 2005, 07:02 AM
Doofy wants a free Powermac with every purchase of Tiger.
Well, ok. I'll mail in the $9.95 to have the Powermac shipped to me.

AliensAreFuzzy
Apr 20, 2005, 07:06 AM
Man, I want an Apple Store nearby.

osiris315
Apr 20, 2005, 07:06 AM
to coincide with Tiger's release..

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/04/20/apple_brum_store/

cb911
Apr 20, 2005, 07:11 AM
okay - so what if you don't live near an Apple store?

anyone know if re-sellers in Brisbane here are going to have an event? i can only wish i guess... :(

ilook
Apr 20, 2005, 07:14 AM
Over here in Australia the first 100 customers to purchase Tiger from each Apple reseller receive a free mini maglite branded with the spotlight logo.

Piarco
Apr 20, 2005, 07:22 AM
I've got the day of next Friday and I'll defo be popping down the the Apple Store! As much as I want in, I'm not one for staying outside encamped on the pavement for a couple of hours! How rammed is this gonna get?

Duujo
Apr 20, 2005, 07:24 AM
Over here in Australia the first 100 customers to purchase Tiger from each Apple reseller receive a free mini maglite branded with the spotlight logo.

Dammit! I've already purchased Tiger online.. oh well, at least I save money on driving to the Apple store and back - given the free shipping of Tiger when purchased online.

Tiger! Yay! :p

deckwalker
Apr 20, 2005, 07:31 AM
No Tiger opening festivities for me either! I can't even get it online as DHL/FedEx would NEVER find me here. I'll just have to wait until I'm in Seattle in a month for holidays! Common new PB, I want to upgrade while I'm stateside. :D

immac
Apr 20, 2005, 07:34 AM

If that is insider info I'm scared. :eek:

Retro Mini-Mag instead of hi output LED??
2.7 gig single core no PCIe instead of 3.0 gig DCMP.... ;)

Fabio_gsilva
Apr 20, 2005, 07:35 AM
According to recente news, Apple will open it's first Apple Store in Brazil in May, in a huge and very beautiful, expensive building. It will sharing it's space with a famous brand of clothes for high society, named Daslu...

Fashion and expensive clothes, fashion and expensive computers...

So, no party here... :(

slavey
Apr 20, 2005, 07:48 AM
For the last two cat events (the release of Jaguar and Panther), everything in the store was 10% off. Time to get those new computers you've been waiting for!

Applespider
Apr 20, 2005, 07:50 AM
I hope there's not a major delay on the UK discs being sent out like last time :(

I read somewhere that the 29th delivery date isn't being guaranteed for UK online store orders like it is in the US. I've decided to go to Regent St since they'll have to have it (even if they have to Fed Ex a few boxes over for a 5pm delivery!)

bommai
Apr 20, 2005, 07:51 AM
We just moved to the Kansas City area from a place with no Apple Store. I am going to checkout the long lines for the first time in person :)

Sunrunner
Apr 20, 2005, 07:57 AM
How about they just give away a free.... live Tiger!

Muahahahahahaha! :rolleyes:

wPod
Apr 20, 2005, 08:06 AM
i think these events are fun. even if all i end up with is a free dog tag or in this case a flashlight. i just wish i had enough money to enjoy the 10% off. but im not sure if that can be 10% off the normal student discount or not.

macridah
Apr 20, 2005, 08:18 AM
I love going to apple store events. I've been to apple store openings, iPod events, OS events, .mac events ... my closet is full apple of t-shirts =). Another cool thing, I've seen Steve Jobs twice: once in SF and the other in Palo Alto.

It's too bad for people not close to an Apple store, their really groovy. Living in Northern-Cal ... i got a handful of choices.

I'll take pictures and post for all the macheads that can't be there.

MacBoyX
Apr 20, 2005, 08:23 AM
I gotta say I am disappointed in the DVD only media option. I bought a family pack and my Mom only has an iBook with a CD no Combo Drive. I guess this means I've gotta figure out how to install over a network? I am sure not paying 10 EXTRA dollars to get CDs. This is bull.

macboyX

Advance The Man
Apr 20, 2005, 08:25 AM
Any possibilty of "Lucky Bags"?

What's that?

virus1
Apr 20, 2005, 08:34 AM
I love going to apple store events. I've been to apple store openings, iPod events, OS events, .mac events ... my closet is full apple of t-shirts =). Another cool thing, I've seen Steve Jobs twice: once in SF and the other in Palo Alto.

It's too bad for people not close to an Apple store, their really groovy. Living in Northern-Cal ... i got a handful of choices.

I'll take pictures and post for all the macheads that can't be there.
i see jobs all the time on my way to work.. he is often biking around.. once i saw him with his kids and his dog.. guess it pays living less than a mile away from him.

i have only been to the palo alto stanford shopping center mini store opening, and that was fun.. too bad i stained the shirt 2 weeks later.. :mad: .. well, time goes on..

i may want to go to this event, but it will be really crowded and there won't be much to do (i can't afford anything right now)

Le Big Mac
Apr 20, 2005, 08:38 AM
I gotta say I am disappointed in the DVD only media option. I bought a family pack and my Mom only has an iBook with a CD no Combo Drive. I guess this means I've gotta figure out how to install over a network? I am sure not paying 10 EXTRA dollars to get CDs. This is bull.

macboyX

Couldn't you find someone else with the CD and use that to install? Since you have the license, where you get the media is irrelevant. Of course, if avoiding figuring out how to install over a network isn't worth $10 to you . . .

unknownfairy
Apr 20, 2005, 08:41 AM
What do you all recon... Is it worth me taking 1 2hr train journey to birmningham for the apple store opening? No lucky bags or anything...

rosalindavenue
Apr 20, 2005, 08:42 AM
I hope they'll get some new hardware out to go with Tiger. Judging from the buyer's guide, it would be insane to buy a 12" ibook right now; I need to wait for the upgrades.

sonofpismo
Apr 20, 2005, 08:45 AM
Very good question ...

anyone know if the 10% off everything offered during theses events is good along with higher education discounts?

Someone must have asked or had experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

alien2108
Apr 20, 2005, 08:50 AM
Man I hate such times...And all the rest of the World not living in countries with atleast Online Apple Store is doomed to wait...Not to mention missing all the release godies etc...

Well but 10.4 is here at last :D

BornAgainMac
Apr 20, 2005, 08:50 AM
It will be interesting to see the reactions from Mall shoppers to see a huge line outside of the store. They will be curious what all the excitment is about.

I bet the lines will be HUGE. It won't look like 2% marketshare in the mall.

rockman2023
Apr 20, 2005, 08:54 AM
How about they just give away a free.... live Tiger!

Muahahahahahaha! :rolleyes:

How about a live Tiger with......laaaazer beams!! Mwwwhhahahaha :D

I should be attending the event at the Roosevelt Field Mall Apple Store in Garden City, NY. I got Panther dog tags at the Panther launch and a free t-shirt at the store opening. I didn't expect to find a line when I got there; I was suprised to see so many Apple fans in my area.

Anyone from here going?

Deefuzz
Apr 20, 2005, 08:59 AM
Argh...6 pm? Why not when the store opens?

Sucks working 12-9 :( I may have to head out on a late lunch break that may take a little longer than usual then!

iProbot
Apr 20, 2005, 09:19 AM
I just can't wait!!! ;)

Trowaman
Apr 20, 2005, 09:25 AM
For those in the North Texas Apple Club on campus, I believe we'll be making a trip to Willowbend again, like last year for Panther. It's always more fun to travel in groups.

. . . if my copy of Tiger arrives before the big day it'd be cool to arrive with a laptop and play with Tiger in line. :D

virividox
Apr 20, 2005, 09:26 AM
im still sadenned by the snafu of 10.3.9 but i cant wait till jun when i get tiger :) why the wait jsut in case there are glitches hehe

BlackLilyNinja
Apr 20, 2005, 09:34 AM
Doofy wants a free Powermac with every purchase of Tiger.
Well, ok. I'll mail in the $9.95 to have the Powermac shipped to me.

ok maybe he does

isn't there a way to do a network install when you have say a family pack and multiple machines?

swissmann
Apr 20, 2005, 09:35 AM
Because we don't have an Apple store nearby the local retailers do have a special event though it is not as special as the Apple Stores - no long lines, no 10% off, no big giveaways, just a chance to win a T-shirt or something, and a lot of smiles on excited people's faces. So it really is pretty lame except for the excitement from all the customers.

Cali_Man
Apr 20, 2005, 09:37 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing what they're giving away this time. I went to the last one, at the Clarendon, VA store, and there were all sorts of Mac geeks lined up on the sidewalk, waiting for the store to open. They were comparing Mac hardware and knowledge of Apple trivia. I wish Triumph had been there for interviews and commentary. ;)

Is it really a mad house? I'd be very interested in going, but if all I'm going to do is stand in a huge line at the chance for a set of dog tags I'll loose in a move eventually....

Are these "events" really that much fun?

Lancetx
Apr 20, 2005, 09:38 AM
Very good question ...

anyone know if the 10% off everything offered during theses events is good along with higher education discounts?

Thanks in advance.

During the Panther event at the Apple Store I went to it was not. It was an either/or situation. You couldn't combine the two discounts.

wildmac
Apr 20, 2005, 09:39 AM
The 10% discount, assuming there is one, cannot be combined with any other offer... but may be good on anything in the store. The discount winds up being the sames as the edu or gov discounts.

Hey Steve, announce those new iBooks!

latergator116
Apr 20, 2005, 09:41 AM

macboyX

Yeah, it does suck. I aslo have an iBook with only a CD drive. In addition to paying $10, they also take the DVD.

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 20, 2005, 09:51 AM
For the last two cat events (the release of Jaguar and Panther), everything in the store was 10% off. Time to get those new computers you've been waiting for!
I remember hearing about the 10% off in the past. Never appealed to me since at that time I wasn't in the market. This time around I am very interested, because I am in the market for the new 2GHz G5 iMac, rumored to be released "in the next two weeks."

But will these new computers be available in store, or at least for order, on April 29th? I would think so, for think of all the pissed people who would buy new Macs on a Friday, and then the next Tuesday the Macs are all speed bumped.

Also, how does this work when the Apple Store is in a Mall? (Houston Galleria) Do they close their doors, and then re-open at 6pm? Friday is my day off, and I'm game for standing in line to wait to get in on some 10% off goodness. How early should I arrive? 1 hour early?

In the past, has Apple pre-announced the 10% off, or do they just announce it the day of the event when you are at the store?

mainstreetmark
Apr 20, 2005, 10:07 AM
All the MacRumors people should wear an armband around their right arm or something, so we can judge the MacRumors marketshare. :)

ShiggyMiyamoto
Apr 20, 2005, 10:08 AM

macboyX

It's not exactly over a network but here's a way that should work:

1. Restart the iBook in Firewire Target Mode (Restart it and then keep down the 'T' key until you see the Firewire logo screensaver type thing). I'm assuming that this iBook isn't a clamshell (colored) iBook and it has a Firewire port.

2. Connect the iBook using a FireWire cable to a Mac that has a DVD drive.

3. Pop in the Tiger DVD and start the install, and when it asks for what disk to install onto you should see the iBook as a choice. The rest should be self-explanatory.

If this sounds unclear I'm sure the others here will help clarify it.

Good luck... ^_^

zulgand04
Apr 20, 2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah, it does suck. I aslo have an iBook with only a CD drive. In addition to paying $10, they also take the DVD.

looks like this will be the first update i won't be getting for a while, sux that people have to pay for not haveing a combo drive.

-Neal

Sayhey
Apr 20, 2005, 10:24 AM
How about a grand opening of an Apple store to coincide with the release of Tiger? That's what is happening in Birmingham, England. The Bullring (http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/bullring/week/20050417.html) store is going to open at 6:00 pm on April 29th.

shawnce
Apr 20, 2005, 10:25 AM
All the MacRumors people should wear an armband around their right arm or something, so we can judge the MacRumors marketshare. :)

I think tin foil hats would be better for some in this crowd :D

NevadaJack
Apr 20, 2005, 10:36 AM
I remember hearing about the 10% off in the past. Never appealed to me since at that time I wasn't in the market. This time around I am very interested, because I am in the market for the new 2GHz G5 iMac, rumored to be released "in the next two weeks."

But will these new computers be available in store, or at least for order, on April 29th? I would think so, for think of all the pissed people who would buy new Macs on a Friday, and then the next Tuesday the Macs are all speed bumped.

Also, how does this work when the Apple Store is in a Mall? (Houston Galleria) Do they close their doors, and then re-open at 6pm? Friday is my day off, and I'm game for standing in line to wait to get in on some 10% off goodness. How early should I arrive? 1 hour early?

In the past, has Apple pre-announced the 10% off, or do they just announce it the day of the event when you are at the store?

Some good points. If the new iMac was available they would sell a boatload of them at 10%off. If they are not announced and people buy the current model and then there is an announcement withing a week or two for the bumped up model, wouldn't they be taking a chance on the 14 day return poiicy and getting all those current models returned? Perhaps the 10% would keep the current buyers happy.

I am tempted to go to the LV store (also in a Mall) and see what there is to buy. I am ready to jump on a Rev B iMac 20" the minute they become available and would hate to miss a 10% discount. But knowing retailers, the discounts would be on all existing models only. Oh well...just keep watching this forum and the Mac Store for any hints or changes.

Maybe to boost the Apple Store's, Apple will announce the new hardward at the 6:00 PM parties and generate PR for all the new stores they are planning? This is a never ending guessing game....
:D

SiliconAddict
Apr 20, 2005, 10:47 AM
It SUX having two Apple stores within a 20 minute drive from my house...oh wait..no it doesn't. :D

Seriously though. I'm a geek but I'm not THAT big of a geek to show up for an OS release.

puuukeey
Apr 20, 2005, 11:01 AM
what happened to paying for every other point release?

bommai
Apr 20, 2005, 11:05 AM
ok maybe he does

isn't there a way to do a network install when you have say a family pack and multiple machines?

Just use firewire target disk mode to install on the iBook. it is easier than network.

-Siva

powermac_daddy
Apr 20, 2005, 11:17 AM
You know what guys?

I have been using Mac OX 10.4 tiger for a week now.

It's cool. I like it.

GilGrissom
Apr 20, 2005, 11:24 AM
Im so gutted there aren't common Apple Stores here in the UK like there is in the US. Granted nthe Regent Street store is a corker!! But I'm nowhere near it! Unfortunately the next nearest one due (Birmingham, Bullring) is not open yet so I can't check out the event. It would be so cool and I'm so excited, even though I can't go!!! Especially with hte freebies and possible door prizes of hardware!! (wipes mouth!) If anyone gets any prizes and doesnt want them please send them my way!! lol!! ;)

Also...daft question some of you may thing, but is anyone gonna be taking some pictures of their local event or something?? Because if you are I'd love to see them!! :D

Can't wait til I get my Mac with Tiger!! Just waiting for it to be preinstalled!

narco
Apr 20, 2005, 11:26 AM
These are the moments where I am glad that I live in L.A. I have a bazillion Apple stores around me, so I will probably try to do some Apple-store hopping to collect all the free stuff. I definitely at least want a mouse pad.

Fishes,
narco.

wdlove
Apr 20, 2005, 11:38 AM
I'm really looking forward to the Tiger release party. We won't know about the 10% discount till arrival. It should be an exciting time had by all, including the staff. I will be there with my dog tags on.

MacSlut
Apr 20, 2005, 11:45 AM
Not to brag, but I work right around the corner from the Palo Alto Apple Store which is just a couple of blocks away from where I live, and not too far from where Steve Jobs lives. During the last release, that's where he was.

The release parties are fun, and I suspect there will be even more people than ever before.

SoKN1L1
Apr 20, 2005, 11:45 AM
Oh, no. No Apple Store in this area. But wait...I have already purchased Tiger online...doesn't matter anyway. :o

shewy
Apr 20, 2005, 11:51 AM
It SUX having two Apple stores within a 20 minute drive from my house...oh wait..no it doesn't. :D

I have THREE stores within a 20 minute drive - is there a higher concentration of Apple Stores than that? I'm in Orange County, CA.
:)

XIII
Apr 20, 2005, 11:52 AM
Maybe Steve will come to London.. :D

I'll be at Regent Street..

sillycybin
Apr 20, 2005, 11:55 AM
Which one of the 3 Apple Stores that are within a half hour of myself shall I goto on the 29th. Chicago, Schaumburg, Skokie? Chicago will be too busy, Skokie is too darn small (that mini store gets packed with just a few people in it). Guess im goin to Woodfield Mall. Boy I wish that FOURTH store in Northbrook would open soon.... lol

Manatee
Apr 20, 2005, 12:05 PM
Is it really a mad house? I'd be very interested in going, but if all I'm going to do is stand in a huge line at the chance for a set of dog tags I'll loose in a move eventually....

Are these "events" really that much fun?

It's fun if you have nothing else to do with your time. It's a bunch of Apple geeks standing in line bragging about which product launches and store openings they've attended. They're like dorky Deadheads. ;)

I got the Panther dog tags, but they gave them to everyone, and you could get several sets if you asked for them.

This time, I've pre-ordered Tiger on-line, so I doubt I'll be spending my Friday evening over there. Especially if the weather is bad. I might just do a drive-by on the way home from my office and take some photos.

I guess it's all a matter of how passionate you are about the stuff. I love the company and the products, but I did notice last time that I was about 20 years older than the average person in line. ;)

john_satc
Apr 20, 2005, 12:06 PM
How about a grand opening of an Apple store to coincide with the release of Tiger? That's what is happening in Birmingham, England. The Bullring (http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/bullring/week/20050417.html) store is going to open at 6:00 pm on April 29th.

YAY! Its opening at 6pm meaning i can make it for the time it opens, glad it doesnt open 9 am !
I doubt there will be loads of people there as this is birmingham, hardly a centre location especially seems its not in the US.

robbieduncan
Apr 20, 2005, 12:19 PM
what happened to paying for every other point release?

This has never been policy. Apple allowed a "free" upgrade to 10.1 for those of us who bought 10.0 but apart from that all upgrades have been full price.

Illmatic
Apr 20, 2005, 12:22 PM
I too have never been to an Apple Event but this time I am in the market for a 17" PowerBook which I was going to buy last week until they announced Tiger. I'm buying with an edu. discount but now that I know I'll get Tiger for free I'm definitely going. If there is anyone here going to the Legacy Village Apple Store in Cleveland send me a message. It's always nice to meet MacRumors people!

bwmcm
Apr 20, 2005, 12:23 PM
Think I'll be going to the Bullring too. How big is it? I'm guessing it's not Regent Street size but is it bigger than those "iShop minis" (that's such a poor pun!)

TML
Apr 20, 2005, 12:32 PM
Ohhh this sounds cool.

Funny enough (what a coincidence) I'm going to the Apple Store in London on the 30th. Will they still be doing goodies/special stuff a day after Tiger's launch?

I bet the store is gonna be bloody packed. Oh well!

Lloyd

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 20, 2005, 12:37 PM
Can someone who has been to a previous "event" like this tell me, do they close the Store all day and only open at 6pm? If so, what if a person has a service issue and comes in at 2pm? Will Apple not help them? If people with a service issue get a priority into the store, then my powerbook will have something "wrong" with it about 5pm on the 29th, especially if the new iMacs will be there. ;)

itsa
Apr 20, 2005, 12:57 PM
okay - so what if you don't live near an Apple store?

anyone know if re-sellers in Brisbane here are going to have an event? i can only wish i guess... :(

Your right in line with most people.

gorkonapple
Apr 20, 2005, 01:02 PM
I am ordering my copy as soon as my debit card gets here, but should I wait? Odds are, I will have my copy BEFORE 6 PM anyway. I may just have to go anyway to check it out and then buy something else! Maybe iWork??

silverone
Apr 20, 2005, 01:24 PM
ImAlwaysRight,

The typical store closes one half hour before Event Time and takes the time to set-up all collateral, merchandise and open all cash drawers. If you are inside, the Team will most likely and courteously, wrap you up in time for the temporary shut-down. Given such a large release though; much larger than a new Shuffle release, the Stores may opt to close from 5 to 6pm. I have two Apple Stores, both located in indoor malls near me and both usually have at least a line that has begun at least two hours ahead of event time - this is at least true for the last two Cat OS releases. Given the "Switchers" coming onboard now, that could be even longer. If you go, and no one has seemed to mention this, go for the awesome Pro Equipment and iPods they're giving away. Tough to win, but you can't enter if you're not present. Cool - maybe we'll see you there! -Silverone (aka, 1st in line for last two releases) ;)

rockthecasbah
Apr 20, 2005, 01:27 PM
In the original post, it said door prizes such as Powerbooks and iPods would be given away, but how are they doing it? Do you have to buy Tiger to be eligible, or come exactly at 6? If you wouldn't have to buy Tiger, I'd go just to see about free stuff!!! :)

silverone
Apr 20, 2005, 01:34 PM
In the original post, it said door prizes such as Powerbooks and iPods would be given away, but how are they doing it? Do you have to buy Tiger to be eligible, or come exactly at 6? If you wouldn't have to buy Tiger, I'd go just to see about free stuff!!! :)

In the US at least, it's illegally to make a contest only open to certain individuals, at least it is when you're a publicly traded company and you released a public statement. "No purchase necessary" is usually the Norm. The Apple Store contests for the last few years have been nothing more than filling out a small entry form and dropping it in an even smaller plastic see-thru box. Can only enter once but Yes, show up to enter even if you cant afford anything at this time. Again, I believe this contest is Global, so your chances are horrible but it's always goo to press your luck once in awhile! :p

mhamen
Apr 20, 2005, 01:42 PM
Which one of the 3 Apple Stores that are within a half hour of myself shall I goto on the 29th. Chicago, Schaumburg, Skokie? Chicago will be too busy, Skokie is too darn small (that mini store gets packed with just a few people in it). Guess im goin to Woodfield Mall. Boy I wish that FOURTH store in Northbrook would open soon.... lol

Actually Northbrook would be the fifth sillycybin you are forgetting about the one out in Oak Brook

jmsait19
Apr 20, 2005, 01:43 PM
We have an apple store in a mall by my house. I was there yesterday and they confirmed that they would close at 5pm and reopen at 6pm, for those of you wondering how that works.

OnaMacSince1989
Apr 20, 2005, 01:45 PM
No Tiger opening festivities for me either! I can't even get it online as DHL/FedEx would NEVER find me here. I'll just have to wait until I'm in Seattle in a month for holidays! Common new PB, I want to upgrade while I'm stateside. :D

I say its high time that Apple opens a store in Kabul! Now that would be thinking different! :D

Stay Safe Deck!

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 20, 2005, 01:49 PM
-Silverone (aka, 1st in line for last two releases) ;)
LOL, so what time did you get in line?

If new Macs are announced next Tuesday as "shipping Friday with OS 10.4," I'll probably get in line by 2-3 hours ahead of time as I'm sure stock on hand of 20" iMacs will not be too plentiful yet there will be plenty who will want one at 10% off. :cool:

sw1tcher
Apr 20, 2005, 01:52 PM
Very good question ...

Thanks in advance.

That's what I want to know as well. I wants me a new 12" PBook or iBook if it gets updated soon (Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon)

mrjohn
Apr 20, 2005, 02:01 PM

They'll close the door one hour before. They won't know what the specials / promos are until then. So if you're in the market for a new computer, you might have to wait until then.

sw1tcher
Apr 20, 2005, 02:03 PM

Well, I went to the Panther release at the Apple store inside the Glendale Galleria and they had to close the store, if I remember correctly, ~ 2 hours before the release party to prep. I got there ~ 1 hour before the start and there was already a long line. So if you want to be one of the first, I'd say get there at least 2 hours early.

I also remember the Apple employees handing out a form to fill out for an iMac raffle/drawing. Sadly, I didn't win.

LGRW3919
Apr 20, 2005, 02:08 PM
man it's awesome living in cupertino
i'm not only within walking distance of HQ, but i have like 2 or 3 apple retail stores around. :-D now i just have to find a ride.

john_satc
Apr 20, 2005, 02:13 PM
Think I'll be going to the Bullring too. How big is it? I'm guessing it's not Regent Street size but is it bigger than those "iShop minis" (that's such a poor pun!)

Bullring itself is huge. Pity Apple decided to build in there after it had opened 'cos they could have got a great location.

The place they are opening at is where clintons cards (i think it was clintons, def. a card shop) was but shut down - they have another store in bull ring and several across the city.
anyway, its a long store, not wide. They could do it on two floors, as the GAP store which is prety much next door has a floor above. To access another floor there would have to be a staircase inside the shop, something I doubt there is space for, but we will see.

It will definatley not be Regent St size, most likely a 'mini' store as the site is so small

sw1tcher
Apr 20, 2005, 02:15 PM
I have THREE stores within a 20 minute drive - is there a higher concentration of Apple Stores than that? I'm in Orange County, CA.

I have 5 Apple stores within a 20 (maybe 25) minute drive from where I'm at :D

Glendale Galleria
The Grove
Northridge
Pasadena
Santa Monica (Third Street Promenade)

The Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, and Rancho Cucamonga stores are a little bit farther out though (~ 40 miles).

Bubbasteve
Apr 20, 2005, 02:43 PM
Man I really wish I could go to this -- I wouldn't mind me a pair of Tiger dog tags or anything free for that matter

bbyrdhouse
Apr 20, 2005, 02:50 PM

I feel your pain!

Although I think I will make the 3 1/2 hour trip to Houston. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones. :D

bbyrdhouse
Apr 20, 2005, 02:51 PM

Glendale Galleria
The Grove
Northridge
Pasadena

The Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, and Rancho Cucamonga stores are a little bit farther out though (~ 40 miles).

Man... I hate both of you! :(

GilGrissom
Apr 20, 2005, 02:57 PM
Yes!! Finally!! A new Apple Store nearer to me!! Apple Store Bullring at Birmingham opening 29th with a Tiger party!! If only I could get!! Been waiting for both Tiger and that store for ages!! And they come at once!!

Anyone offering to take pictures of a party for little old me??? Please!!!

silverone
Apr 20, 2005, 03:00 PM
LOL, so what time did you get in line?

If new Macs are announced next Tuesday as "shipping Friday with OS 10.4," I'll probably get in line by 2-3 hours ahead of time as I'm sure stock on hand of 20" iMacs will not be too plentiful yet there will be plenty who will want one at 10% off. :cool:

The more expensive iMac move slower, if you are in the market for a 20" over a 17", you don't have to worry as much. It's the entry levels for "switchers" and multiple Mac owners that move the quickest. So, if two hours for the popular product release, I'd say that you could be 50th in line and still be fine. That is also assuming that your local Apple Store allocates per demand and not per performance. The demand first day and week is higher but of your Store dies down in initial sales too quickly, Apple might not send too many units. The best way to tell is how your Store performs around the calendar year - do you often go in and find the products out of stock or is there always something there? The market channels are very different for a launch - a company doesn't want to send too much to a location only to have to spend more resources sending the product to a location that shows demand. All in all, three hours before seems reasonable. Bring your iPod and a good book and just chill!

rxcfc
Apr 20, 2005, 03:15 PM

Glendale Galleria
The Grove
Northridge
Pasadena

Yeah, I was looking at this list and realized that there indeed about 9 stores that I can get to in less than an hour. All the above ones and Mission Viejo as well. It is good to live in Los Angeles County.

SiliconAddict
Apr 20, 2005, 03:38 PM

Well hell. In CA you can't go 3 blocks without hitting an Apple store. I hear they are encroaching on Star Buck's territory at this point. ;)

grabberslasher
Apr 20, 2005, 04:05 PM
It sorta sucks to be ADC because things like this aren't interesting anymore... :( I've been using Tiger for 8 months, my GM DVD comes in the next post...

No fun :P

Zigster
Apr 20, 2005, 04:06 PM
Waiting in line for an OS release is kind of....

well, it fits a Mac stereotype, let's put it that way. :rolleyes:

SiliconAddict
Apr 20, 2005, 04:11 PM

To be fair there were lines for windows '95 when it came out. It’s no worse then someone who stands in line for a PS2 (I did), a PSP (nope), a game boy, a movie (I'll be getting my Star Wars tickets early), or waiting to see the next new Pope.

*shrugs* Everyone has a passion about something. The difference is what would you be willing to stand in line for?

sjpetry
Apr 20, 2005, 04:12 PM

It's a rare event for windoze users. ;)

FYA
Apr 20, 2005, 04:44 PM

macboyX

If the iBook has a firewire port you can connect it to your Mac and start the iBook in Target Disc Mode, run the installer on your Mac and select the iBooks HD as destination.

Sean

SiliconAddict
Apr 20, 2005, 05:10 PM
It's a rare event for windoze users. ;)

Yah I remember waiting in line for service pack 2. A few buds of mine started talking trash about MS as we waited. Eventually it turned into a fist fight over who had the most broken system at home. Johnny eventually won stating that the blue screen of death he had the other day was oozing out of the floppy slot but he conceded it could have been his baby sister who squeezed dish detergent in the drive. The gel was blue after all. Good times. Good times. ;)

Sorry idle minds at quitting time are a dangerous thing. :D

DickArmAndHarT
Apr 20, 2005, 05:51 PM
Friday the 29 is Apple Store Day For Me!, Ill be in the Soho apple store in NYC, and ill be standing in the front of the line, picking up the copy of Tiger, and doing an install in the store. If anyones going to the Soho store, ull recongnize me. Ill be dressed up, in a big yellow suit. Ohh this is going to be as great time

Doctor Q
Apr 20, 2005, 06:02 PM
Not to brag, but I work right around the corner from the Palo Alto Apple Store which is just a couple of blocks away from where I live, and not too far from where Steve Jobs lives. During the last release, that's where he was.I think Steve should show up at EVERY Apple store on Friday. He can do the impossible, right?

jjs1138
Apr 20, 2005, 06:02 PM
Wow, after reading all the posts from people that live nowhere near an Apple Store, it has occurred to me how lucky I am to have an Apple Store on my street that I can just walk to. :)

fred_garvin
Apr 20, 2005, 06:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

All in-store Macs will come with Tiger DVD's so any new Macs purchased on that day will come with a copy of Mac OS X 10.4. Of note, retail packages only contain DVD media of Mac OS X 10.4. Users which require CD versions of Tiger must mail in (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/) for Apple's Media Exchange Program which offers Tiger on CD for $9.95.

So, if the 10% off happens, I can get a Mac Mini for $449 + tax and get the retail boxed version of Tiger for free? Then I can leave Panther on the Mini and put Tiger on the PowerBook. That's basically getting the Mini for $320 figuring I would have paid $129 for Tiger.

I think the Mini would make a good jukebox / iPhoto viewer on my HDTV. Hope the video card can drive 1920x1080 decent enough.

rdowns
Apr 20, 2005, 06:23 PM
How about a live Tiger with......laaaazer beams!! Mwwwhhahahaha :D

I should be attending the event at the Roosevelt Field Mall Apple Store in Garden City, NY. I got Panther dog tags at the Panther launch and a free t-shirt at the store opening. I didn't expect to find a line when I got there; I was suprised to see so many Apple fans in my area.

Anyone from here going?

I'll be there. Since I work in Uniondale, I'll probably just leave the office at 5.

I was there for Panther launch and as I walked up the stairs, I saw no line. I just walked towards the door and then an Apple employee pointed to my left. Long line. It did move pretty fast.

Jonx
Apr 20, 2005, 06:49 PM
its so tempting I cant wait for the 29th :D

kcmac
Apr 20, 2005, 06:54 PM
We just moved to the Kansas City area from a place with no Apple Store. I am going to checkout the long lines for the first time in person :)
Welcome to Kansas City! Kansas or Missouri side?

I live pretty close to the Plaza. I ordered Tiger online cuz I didn't like feeling like I might stand in line and not get it that day. Almost happened with Panther but that was before the Apple Store.

I'll hit the store though to see how busy it gets.

nickgoldman
Apr 20, 2005, 07:11 PM
I think I may goto the regent street store but I can only get there fore about 4:15 after school. Hopefully queues won't be as bad as the opening where I waited 14 hours.

DickArmAndHarT
Apr 20, 2005, 07:20 PM

Seriously though. I'm a geek but I'm not THAT big of a geek to show up for an OS release.

A nice jam section and a time when most of the apple store wont be stupid iPod only windows users, being annoying. A gathering of hardcore mac heads. Im there~!

DickArmAndHarT
Apr 20, 2005, 07:25 PM
Im so gutted there aren't common Apple Stores here in the UK like there is in the US. Granted nthe Regent Street store is a corker!! But I'm nowhere near it! Unfortunately the next nearest one due (Birmingham, Bullring) is not open yet so I can't check out the event. It would be so cool and I'm so excited, even though I can't go!!! Especially with hte freebies and possible door prizes of hardware!! (wipes mouth!) If anyone gets any prizes and doesnt want them please send them my way!! lol!! ;)

Also...daft question some of you may thing, but is anyone gonna be taking some pictures of their local event or something?? Because if you are I'd love to see them!! :D

Can't wait til I get my Mac with Tiger!! Just waiting for it to be preinstalled!

Im going equpid with an 8meg olympus, taking pictures in raw. Ill post a link on this thread after the event.

mac friend
Apr 20, 2005, 07:27 PM
Does anyone have a good idea on the contest rules, such as is it one PowerBook worldwide, US wide, or per store? Same question for iPods, etc?
I have Tiger pre-ordered, so it will be here on 4/29. Our closest Apple Store is a 2-hour drive. I'm wondering if it's worth the drive, and then the wait in line, followed by the drive home?

sobedragonfire
Apr 20, 2005, 07:46 PM
I've never been to one of these parties, but I hope that they have the new iMacs available so I can finaly have a Mac. I live within 20 minutes of 3 Apple Stores and within 1 hour of 9 Apple Stores all togerther in the Bay Area. Which one to go to? :rolleyes: San Francisco should have the biggest party. :D

aussie_geek
Apr 20, 2005, 07:55 PM
You know what guys?

I have been using Mac OX 10.4 tiger for a week now.

It's cool. I like it.

hmmm..

The fact that you have admitted that means you either have been a Tiger tester or you have an illegal copy of Tiger.

It is not a very good idea to make posts like this mate.

Watch out for Apple security - they may turn up at your doorstep one day.....

aussie_geek

Doctor Q
Apr 20, 2005, 08:45 PM
Who's planning to get to their store so early that they are sure to be first in line, for no other reason than to be the geekiest one there?

Object-X
Apr 20, 2005, 09:13 PM

Sucks to live with an hour of 3 Apple store. Can't decide which to go too. :D

AidenShaw
Apr 20, 2005, 09:37 PM

I have two within a 30 minute walk.

I won't be going to either one - I have a life....

:p

stephenli
Apr 20, 2005, 09:57 PM

ha.....u r lucky
my nearest Apple store is 4 hours away (by air)

ShiggyMiyamoto
Apr 20, 2005, 10:01 PM
Who's planning to get to their store so early that they are sure to be first in line, for no other reason than to be the geekiest one there?

*jumps up and down* Me! Me! ^_^ I'm gonna try anyway...

bit density
Apr 20, 2005, 11:17 PM
Seriously, since both HHGTTG and Tiger are coming out on the same day, wouldn't you give out free towels at the event?

Platform
Apr 21, 2005, 12:31 AM
Well I won't be going to an apple store.......don't live in a country with one :o

But can't wait for Tiger to come out though :rolleyes:

solvs
Apr 21, 2005, 01:09 AM
I won't be going to either one - I have a life....
I'm sorry, but does anyone else find the irony of that statement just a little bit funny?

I, on the other hand, will admit to having not much of a life at this time (see this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1378009#post1378009) post for why) and will enjoy a night of meeting with my fellow Mac aficionados to discuss common interests and demos of the latest and greatest software tools that will make our professional (and personal) lives that much easier. Plus, 10% off. That'd be the biggie for me. Beats another night of drunken karaoke and sappy, depressing love songs.

I'll save that for Saturday night. ;)

eXan
Apr 21, 2005, 01:20 AM

Same here :( . The closest Apple Store to me is in Tokyo

LoopHoles
Apr 21, 2005, 03:05 AM
In addition to the firewire target mode method, you should be able to install Tiger from an external DVD drive, as well.

Heart Break Kid
Apr 21, 2005, 07:35 AM
if i order tiger online, does it mean i cant participate in the release event?

do i have to buy tiger from the store on that to attend?

jelloshotsrule
Apr 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
if i order tiger online, does it mean i cant participate in the release event?

do i have to buy tiger from the store on that to attend?

you can attend even if you buy nothing. they want to get you in and try to lure you to buy something, which they can't do if they close the doors to those who don't buy tiger just to get in...

FYA
Apr 21, 2005, 08:27 AM
Since the announcement of Tiger Greece has been removed from the www.apple.com/euro site.

There was never an official Apple store website for Greece but now there’s nothing. The funny thing here is that in Athens “rainbow computer” (the greek apple store) has at least two show rooms, they look like Apple stores but you can’t buy anything there!

If you want something they call a reseller and tell you where to go.

I want to get Tiger as soon as it comes out, does anyone now if buy from Amazon, will they ship to Greece?

powerbook911
Apr 21, 2005, 09:16 AM
Since the announcement of Tiger Greece has been removed from the www.apple.com/euro site.

There was never an official Apple store website for Greece but now there’s nothing. The funny thing here is that in Athens “rainbow computer” (the greek apple store) has at least two show rooms, they look like Apple stores but you can’t buy anything there!

If you want something they call a reseller and tell you where to go.

I want to get Tiger as soon as it comes out, does anyone now if buy from Amazon, will they ship to Greece?

FYA, Well, you'll just have to try Amazon.com and see. I would recommend upgraded shipping of some kind, or you would wait forever. I ordered from Amazon Japan once, and I'm in the USA, so you might be able to order from the U.S. Amazon, or even the UK Amazon.

applemacmad
Apr 21, 2005, 10:40 AM
I think I may goto the regent street store but I can only get there fore about 4:15 after school. Hopefully queues won't be as bad as the opening where I waited 14 hours.

I went to the Regent Street Store opening as well, was about 117 in line, i doubt the line will be as big for tiger though.

wdlove
Apr 21, 2005, 11:19 AM
So, if the 10% off happens, I can get a Mac Mini for $449 + tax and get the retail boxed version of Tiger for free? Then I can leave Panther on the Mini and put Tiger on the PowerBook. That's basically getting the Mini for $320 figuring I would have paid $129 for Tiger.

I think the Mini would make a good jukebox / iPhoto viewer on my HDTV. Hope the video card can drive 1920x1080 decent enough.

You have a big problem in your figures. In order to qualify for the 10% discount, it requires the purchase of Tiger first. That is the way it worked with Jaguar and Panther. We have no guarantee that it will be offered again. Although I would be very disappointed if Steve doesn't.

wdlove
Apr 21, 2005, 11:22 AM

My wife and I were first in line at the Panther Release Party. We plan to make a repeat performance again this year. It's a lot of fun.

fred_garvin
Apr 21, 2005, 12:38 PM
You have a big problem in your figures. In order to qualify for the 10% discount, it requires the purchase of Tiger first. That is the way it worked with Jaguar and Panther. We have no guarantee that it will be offered again. Although I would be very disappointed if Steve doesn't.

So if I'm a switcher getting an iMac for around $1800, I have to buy Tiger to get the $180 discount for the iMac that will come with the retail version of Tiger? So now I have 2 boxes of Tiger? That doesn't make much sense. If that's the case, on the way out go to the back of the line and offer the spare Tiger for $75.

sd_diver
Apr 21, 2005, 06:00 PM
During the panther event, I walked in and bought an emac (10/03?) and got the 10% off - it came with panther (the emac I got had just been released and was the first CPU that the La Jolla Apple store sold). Hopefully will be the same with Tiger. My dual g4 (1gHz) died last week and I am in desparate need of a new speed-bumped PM!

sd_diver

TMay
Apr 21, 2005, 09:40 PM
A fellow on dpreview.com in the mac forum posted about 45 minutes ago that he had already received Tiger via Fedex and ClubMac. Stated that it include a trial disk for iWorks.

Anybody else heard of anything?

gatorron
Apr 21, 2005, 10:26 PM
TMay: hope that's true. I would like to give iLife a spin before taking the plunge.

Anyway, according to apple, my Tiger order is "in processing." Should find out soon.

I think Apple does try to reward early orderers.

techgeek
Apr 22, 2005, 06:46 AM
Just had an email from Apple about my Tiger web order!
I thought "OMG it's shipping early!!!" :eek:
But no they just wanted to let me know the estimated delivery time had been wrong when I ordered it.

Damn you Apple don't tease me like that! :mad: :rolleyes:

TMay
Apr 22, 2005, 08:23 AM
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=13191208

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 22, 2005, 09:00 AM
I read the page 2 report of new Macs on Tuesday. Anyone know if I purchase a new 20" 2.0GHz iMac on Tuesday with 10.4 preinstalled, if I can attend the event on Friday and get 10% credited for my purchase? Doesn't Apple have a 14 or 30 day price protection guarantee?

I'd rather have my new iMac Tuesday rather than wait until Friday evening (assuming new iMacs Tue). ;)

wdlove
Apr 22, 2005, 11:33 AM
So if I'm a switcher getting an iMac for around $1800, I have to buy Tiger to get the $180 discount for the iMac that will come with the retail version of Tiger? So now I have 2 boxes of Tiger? That doesn't make much sense. If that's the case, on the way out go to the back of the line and offer the spare Tiger for $75.

When you purchase your new iMac you will be getting Tiger also. That means that you will be saving $169, since you won't have to purchase Tiger separately. You will still be welcome at the party. Always possible that you could win a prize. There will also be a free gift for all attendees.

fedora
Apr 22, 2005, 05:45 PM

I carn't be asked to go to school next friday, i'll just get the train up to regent street in the morning instead of going to school.

greenguy4
Apr 22, 2005, 05:55 PM
How does it work with door prizes? Do they give them away as the night goes on or do they start before 6 or after 6?

wdlove
Apr 22, 2005, 06:18 PM
How does it work with door prizes? Do they give them away as the night goes on or do they start before 6 or after 6?

It won't start until 6pm local time. If they do the same as prior years, they will hand out a card to fill out as you enter. Everyone will receive a free gift upon entry, Jaguar a mouse pad and Panther dog tags. The drawing won't be until the end of the evening, if the same as before won't have to be present.

greenguy4
Apr 22, 2005, 06:26 PM
Great! I have to be back Fri. evening so I'll only be able to stay till 7 or so. So I can go hang out and if I win the drawing I don't have to be there?

Doctor Q
Apr 22, 2005, 07:51 PM
Everyone will receive a free gift upon entry, Jaguar a mouse pad and Panther dog tags.I still l laugh about that mousepad giveaway. Apple's optical mice are designed to be usable without a mousepad, and if you do use a mousepad they sometimes get confused if it has a wild pattern such as, say, a Jaguar pattern!

Biagio
Apr 22, 2005, 09:27 PM
I participated in the festivities in San Diego for the panther release and I anticipate participating for the Tiger release as well in skokie, Il. I was wondering when would be a good time to line up so that I am not wasting a whole day there doing nothing. I know that they are releasing the OS at 6 or so .

ShiggyMiyamoto
Apr 23, 2005, 01:53 AM
I participated in the festivities in San Diego for the panther release and I anticipate participating for the Tiger release as well in skokie, Il. I was wondering when would be a good time to line up so that I am not wasting a whole day there doing nothing. I know that they are releasing the OS at 6 or so .

I'm gonna be there at around 5PM EST as to avoid the crowds... It's gonna be so great!! ^_^

wdlove
Apr 23, 2005, 11:51 AM
I'm gonna be there at around 5PM EST as to avoid the crowds... It's gonna be so great!! ^_^

I'm anticipating that the store will close around 4pm EDT. At least with the Panther release ti took them about two hours to prepare. So I hope to be there when the store closes.

Mac_Freak
Apr 23, 2005, 05:00 PM
I ordered Tiger from Apple.com with edu discount and I hope I will get before the event so I can irritate people waiting in line with Tiger running on PowerBook :D . I am so meanto people :p . That event is going to be an interesting sociological experience- all those mac "geek"
I am going to the one in Soho, Manhattan? Is anybody else going there?

P.S. My 10GB system partitian is ready for clean Tiger install :)

chris h 1997
Apr 23, 2005, 05:21 PM
I'm hopin' this will happen, I see an Apple display and a Mac Mini in my future if it does, along with Tiger of course.

DickArmAndHarT
Apr 23, 2005, 05:37 PM
I ordered Tiger from Apple.com with edu discount and I hope I will get before the event so I can irritate people waiting in line with Tiger running on PowerBook :D . I am so meanto people :p . That event is going to be an interesting sociological experience- all those mac "geek"
I am going to the one in Soho, Manhattan? Is anybody else going there?

P.S. My 10GB system partitian is ready for clean Tiger install :)

Ill be In the SOHO apple store, hopefully first in line, with...well, im 14 and ill be dressed up. winnie the pooh, winnie the pooh!!! Should be a blast, Ill see you there, drop a hello, Meeting some fellow MR goers...Tiger!

sammyman
Apr 23, 2005, 06:26 PM
How many big prizes are they going to give away? Do they really give away powerbooks etc? How many did they give away last year?

thrillz3
Apr 24, 2005, 10:27 AM
I'd like to know what they give away, too. Next to the PB, I would love an iSight. I've been wanting to buy one, but I need to buy AppleCare first. The year expires on May 19 for me.

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 24, 2005, 02:20 PM
Anyone know if I purchase a new 20" 2.0GHz iMac on Tuesday with 10.4 preinstalled, if I can attend the event on Friday and get 10% credited for my purchase?

I just called my local Apple Store (Houston, Galleria) and was told that the 10% off could only be applied to purchases made on Friday after 6PM, assuming that they offer the 10% off promotion.

I still don't see why I couldn't buy a system Tuesday, return it Friday after 6PM (would have to be unopened), and then rebuy it on Friday. Apple's policy is 14 day return unopened, or else a 10% restocking fee. My reason for doing so is I already sold my Power Mac and want to get a computer ASAP. I'd hate to go in Friday and have them be all sold out. I've read a lot of folks are drooling over the new iMac 20" 2.0GHz.

wdlove
Apr 24, 2005, 02:40 PM
How many big prizes are they going to give away? Do they really give away powerbooks etc? How many did they give away last year?

The only items that Apple mentions is the PowerBook, iPod, or other prizes. I believe that it was just one of each at each store. To know the answer for sure, will just have to wait till Friday.

http://www.apple.com/retail/

wdlove
Apr 24, 2005, 02:46 PM
I just called my local Apple Store (Houston, Galleria) and was told that the 10% off could only be applied to purchases made on Friday after 6PM, assuming that they offer the 10% off promotion.

I still don't see why I couldn't buy a system Tuesday, return it Friday after 6PM (would have to be unopened), and then rebuy it on Friday. Apple's policy is 14 day return unopened, or else a 10% restocking fee. My reason for doing so is I already sold my Power Mac and want to get a computer ASAP. I'd hate to go in Friday and have them be all sold out. I've read a lot of folks are drooling over the new iMac 20" 2.0GHz.

According to how the first paragraph conversation was said, this is very good news. Sort of an accidental confirmation. At my local Apple Store couldn't get agreement on anything other that the party at 6pm on Friday.

In your second paragraph, I can understand your need for a new Mac. Your eventual decision would depend on your morals. Just be aware that they could refuse to take the Mac back. It did happen to another person on this forum. The answer will all depend on what you give as your reason for returning your Mac.

Applespider
Apr 24, 2005, 03:03 PM

Call them, tell them that you will be coming in on Friday night and want to buy a Mac. Ask them if they have any in stock and if they could put it aside for you until then. Just say that you're not going to manage to get in before that. You could offer a CC number to prove you're genuine and then they could process the sale when you go on Friday.

Coca-Cola
Apr 25, 2005, 04:13 AM
I was just wondering if anyone believed the April 29th release date for "Tiger" was a tribute to Douglas Adams. "The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" film adaptation is being released on Friday April 29th. It has been said Douglas Adams was a mac fanatic. Is this similar launch date a coincidence or planned?

wdlove
Apr 25, 2005, 11:28 AM
I was just wondering if anyone believed the April 29th release date for "Tiger" was a tribute to Douglas Adams. "The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" film adaptation is being released on Friday April 29th. It has been said Douglas Adams was a mac fanatic. Is this similar launch date a coincidence or planned?

That is quite a coincidence. I'm sure that Steve made the final decision on the actual release date. Chances are only Steve knows for sure.

acedickson
Apr 29, 2005, 12:54 AM
So, no discounts or giveaways until after 6pm? I have to make an hour drive to Austin and I can't leave San Antonio until about 7:00pm. Would I even get in if I arrive in line at 8:00?

fedora
Apr 29, 2005, 09:29 AM
i'm in the regent street store now, on an eMac

rat19
Apr 29, 2005, 09:33 AM
I'm here tooo! Sitting in the theatre listening to an iPhoto presentation resisting the urge to install tiger cos its in my bag from me picking it up

apelet
Apr 29, 2005, 12:07 PM
I'm in Calgary, miles away from any proper Apple store, but I'm thinking of dropping by Westworld for their launch thing. Anybody know if they might do the 10% instore discounts there? What sorts of deals did they have going on when Panther came out?

I am *this* close to buying a new powerbook, and with the ten percent off, it would make it close to the edu price without having to wait for it to ship.. I'm a little unsure about going. I'm not planning to buy Tiger there without a powerbook, but it'd feel like a waste of time to get there at 6 only to find out their in-store special is a useless coupon for something like "$5 off an iSight when you purchase more than $3000"

timmyb
Apr 29, 2005, 12:41 PM
If we are going to see iMac/eMac updates today, would they be at one of the 6pm release events and if so, EST or PST? I ask this because it is now after 6 in the UK and no updates, yet the homepage on the US and UK stores are different so maybe we will see them at 6 in the US.

rat19
Apr 29, 2005, 12:41 PM
Ok I'm in Regent Street and it is packed! I was one of the lucky scratchcard winners because I won speakers with my scratchcard. I won the JBL Creature II speakers so I'm happy. Other prizes I've seen being won have been Airports Express, iLife, iTunes songs or 10% off.

unclepunk
Apr 29, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hey Everyone...

Not sure if anyone else has checked (I'm thinking not). Apple's website says EXACTLY how many giveaways they're going to have on a per store basis! Go to http://www.apple.com/retail/events/tiger/terms.html and then open the "prize/discount exhibit" pdf and it lists how many of each item they're giving out. It also lists your odds of winning each item. If your basis on going down to the store is based on your likelihood of winning something, its worth a look . An example, in the SOHO (NYC) store they're giving out the following:

2018 - 1 song iTunes codes
1 - 15" PowerBook
4 - 30 GB iPods
4 - 6GB iPod Minis
10 - 1GB iPod shuffles
4 - iSights
4 - AirPort Extreme Base Stations
5 - iWork software packages
6- JBL Creature II speaker systems
664 - 10% off discount coupons

Deefuzz
Apr 29, 2005, 02:06 PM
any word on freebies?

Dog tags? T-shirts? Pens? Anything aside from these scratcher cards?

Doctor Q
Apr 29, 2005, 02:20 PM
The scratcher odds given in Apple's rules differ quite a bit from store to store. Your odds of getting a 10% discount scratcher are 1 in 6.1 at the Mall of America store in Minnesota but 1 in 1.4 at the North Michigan Avenue store in Chicago.

A few of us have the luxury of picking which store to go to to get the best odds.

john_satc
Apr 29, 2005, 02:22 PM
OMG! WOW!
I just got back from the Bullring store opening and - W.O.W!
I was queueing for 2 hours, but there were hundreds more people behind me - I am guessing there were 1000+ people there easily. When I finally got it, it was great! It was kind of hard to get the attention of one of the staff as they were so busy, but once I did, I had all their attention. They were all great!
I won 10% off my purchase that day, and ended up getting a Lacie 160g hard drive external saving around £15 - not bad.
Also got a free t- shirt woo!
The store is lovely and its very long. Only one floor but loadsa of great guys there to help and loadsa of MACs to play with. I was a bit dissapointed that people weren't really using the comps that much, I didn't have to wait to use one at all and there were several free.
Unfortunatley my Tiger devlivery did come through, so when I went to pick it up from TNT myself I got lost :( So off to get it tomorrow.

Anyway, If anyone on here works at the Bullring store, just want to say congratulations the store is great! I am going to be back tomorrow to play on Tiger some more and thanks for all the help!!!

Applespider
Apr 29, 2005, 03:25 PM
any word on freebies?

Dog tags? T-shirts? Pens? Anything aside from these scratcher cards?

zilch aside from the scratch cards. I got an iTunes song but my friend got 10% off so she bought both her and my copy of Tiger :D

Actually, you do get something else if you buy Tiger in a store. You can either take your Mac in to have a Genius install it or you can book a free 'hour' of training with a Mac Specialist on Tiger. The slogan is 'Buy Tiger, get a free human'

Doctor Q
Apr 29, 2005, 03:35 PM
zilch aside from the scratch cards. I got an iTunes song but my friend got 10% off so she bought both her and my copy of TigerThe scratcher rules say that the 10% off isn't good for purchases of Tiger, gift cards, or Bose products. Did they really let you get 10% off Tiger?

wdlove
Apr 29, 2005, 03:39 PM
I'm at my local Apple Store Chestnut Hill Mall. Using a PowerMac dual 2.7 running Tiger. An awesome machine. The store is due to close in 20 minutes. Time to get ready for the "Tiger Worldwide Premiere."

With Panther had to purchase at full price, then got the 10% discount.

Applespider
Apr 29, 2005, 03:53 PM
The scratcher rules say that the 10% off isn't good for purchases of Tiger, gift cards, or Bose products. Did they really let you get 10% off Tiger?

Yup... two copies for £160 instead of £178 :D Though I think we were the first boxes our guy sold, there was a camera alongside so perhaps he hadn't realised! :D

slagonnee
Apr 29, 2005, 04:21 PM
Scanning the prize/discount PDF, the PowerBook has a description of "15°±" (probably a char mistake/° vs. "), but with a retail value of 1499$ (price of the 12")... Just random typos?

bxb03a
Apr 29, 2005, 04:28 PM
So I just checked MacMall and they dont have the 20" wireless bundle 1.8 iMac on their website anymore. Any thoughts on this..

AoWolf
Apr 29, 2005, 04:34 PM
At millennia right now the employes sure enjoy taunting us...

Mac_Freak
Apr 29, 2005, 04:37 PM
I am at SOHO store. WHO esle, give a shout out MAC Rumors!! :D

840quadra
Apr 29, 2005, 04:37 PM
Heading out to Mall of america!!

Wish me luck!

superfunkomatic
Apr 29, 2005, 04:40 PM
I'm in Calgary, miles away from any proper Apple store, but I'm thinking of dropping by Westworld for their launch thing. Anybody know if they might do the 10% instore discounts there? What sorts of deals did they have going on when Panther came out?

I am *this* close to buying a new powerbook, and with the ten percent off, it would make it close to the edu price without having to wait for it to ship.. I'm a little unsure about going. I'm not planning to buy Tiger there without a powerbook, but it'd feel like a waste of time to get there at 6 only to find out their in-store special is a useless coupon for something like "$5 off an iSight when you purchase more than $3000"

westworld hasn't announced any deal yet, i got an invite to their event. mymacdealer (another local calgary vendor) has offered a discounted 1GB ram stick for $349 - that's it. and really their track record for service in my experience has been less than stellar. plus you can buy the ram online cheaper (save another $100 bucks).

Blue Moon
Apr 29, 2005, 04:46 PM
Just bought my new PowerMac and I'm goin' down to the The Grove Apple Store in Hollywood in just a few hours. Yippie! :D

AoWolf
Apr 29, 2005, 04:48 PM
My heart goes out to you west coast people...

apelet
Apr 29, 2005, 04:51 PM
westworld hasn't announced any deal yet, i got an invite to their event. mymacdealer (another local calgary vendor) has offered a discounted 1GB ram stick for $349 - that's it. and really their track record for service in my experience has been less than stellar. plus you can buy the ram online cheaper (save another $100 bucks).

Hmm, I have a feeling I'll be disappointed but oh well. I could really use one of those 10% coupons though they're giving out in the states..

Maybe I'll see you there.

YoNeX
Apr 29, 2005, 05:45 PM
small question, can the 10% be combined with edu discount planning on buying pbook n' ipod mini :D

jsw
Apr 29, 2005, 05:48 PM
small question, can the 10% be combined with edu discount planning on buying pbook n' ipod mini :D
Nope, sadly.

YoNeX
Apr 29, 2005, 05:49 PM
Nope, sadly.
awww, no fun :(

but let me get this straight, the 10% is random (scratcher)? but excluding the possible prizes no real reason to get the stuff today unless necessary?

jelloshotsrule
Apr 29, 2005, 06:08 PM
does anyone who enters the store get the scratchoff? do you have to buy anything to get it?

is the 10% win just for the day?

bit density
Apr 29, 2005, 06:16 PM
does anyone who enters the store get the scratchoff? do you have to buy anything to get it?

Anyone in the store gets one, until they run out... (go to the apple events page, most stores it is 1700 or so). You do not have to buy anything to get it, but you get only one.

About 2/3 are 1 free itune, 1/3 10% off, and the rest are for good stuff, like 1 Ipods and stuff. And they are only good for the day

Mac_Freak
Apr 29, 2005, 06:35 PM
Well I won free iTunes song :( can't really use it couse i got no iTubes account.

Some dude won a PowerBook!

wildmac
Apr 29, 2005, 06:35 PM
hmm... only 1 in 3 chance of 10% off?... No thanks... not gonna spend $15 in gas to probably win one song...

fanbrain
Apr 29, 2005, 06:46 PM
I'm here at the Las Vegas Apple store. I'm on a dual 2.7 30" cinema, and 2.5 gigs ram. Holy cow. That's all I have to say. Closing in 15min to prepare...

dvdiva
Apr 29, 2005, 06:58 PM
I heard they are giving out rotten eggs in Florida to throw at Tiger Direct's headquarters at 7795 W Flagler St. Suite 35 in Miami.

pghas
Apr 29, 2005, 07:08 PM
Actually, just standng in line meeting people can increase your odds. The people I s chatting with were super nice, and I only won an itune, but one of them - who was just there to look around - gave me her 10% off coupon, which saved me $170 off my new Powerbook.

Pretty sweet.

wdlove
Apr 29, 2005, 07:22 PM
I was disappointed also, felt Steve really let us down again. Thought they would hand a gift like they did at the Panther release, actually wore my dog tags. My wife and I got one scratch ticket each, only got the free song. A friend of hers got the 10% off, purchased a mouse and a Bluetooth item. Come on Steve where is the real good stuff. :(

Detlev
Apr 29, 2005, 07:57 PM

Actually, you have to be eighteen. It cannot be combined with other discounts or used on Tiger, and must be used tonight. Everyone wins something. As of 8:00 pm nobody had won the PowerBook at Chestnut Hill. Someone in our family won an AirPort Express. Someone just behind us won a set of speakers. I personally won a free iTunes download.

The person handing them out had a stack to choke a horse when we left and the line was gone.

obeygiant
Apr 29, 2005, 08:06 PM
well, i waited in line for about 20 minutes at the apple store in Somerset Mall in Troy, Michigan. I got the Family pack of tiger right away.

They gave me a scratch off card and i won 10% off a purchace.
Although i entered again with my dad this time and i won an iTunes
song and he won an iPod Shuffle. About 2 minutes and 10 people later
someone won a powerbook. *sigh* We missed it by like 2 minutes.

the store was a mad house. mac geeks everywhere.

wdlove
Apr 29, 2005, 09:15 PM
Actually, you have to be eighteen. It cannot be combined with other discounts or used on Tiger, and must be used tonight. Everyone wins something. As of 8:00 pm nobody had won the PowerBook at Chestnut Hill. Someone in our family won an AirPort Express. Someone just behind us won a set of speakers. I personally won a free iTunes download.

The person handing them out had a stack to choke a horse when we left and the line was gone.

I was at the Chestnut Hill Mall store also. Even wore my dog tags from Panther. My wife and I both got a free song.

iZach
Apr 29, 2005, 09:26 PM
well, i waited in line for about 20 minutes at the apple store in Somerset Mall in Troy, Michigan. I got the Family pack of tiger right away.

They gave me a scratch off card and i won 10% off a purchace.
Although i entered again with my dad this time and i won an iTunes
song and he won an iPod Shuffle. About 2 minutes and 10 people later
someone won a powerbook. *sigh* We missed it by like 2 minutes.

the store was a mad house. mac geeks everywhere.

im so mad, i really wanted to go to somerset today, im kicking myself for not haven gone to the party!
i even went earlier this morning to the apple store!

obeygiant
Apr 29, 2005, 09:27 PM
i just called my buddy in San Mateo, whos a PC guy, and told him to go five minutes to the Apple store in Burlingame. So he did and he won the JBL Speakers. He said it made his week.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000SY4SG.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

obeygiant
Apr 29, 2005, 09:29 PM
im so mad, i really wanted to go to somerset today, im kicking myself for not haven gone to the party!
i even went earlier this morning to the apple store!

yeah dude, and you even started the thread about the launch party in michigan.

FYI, there are some gorgeous women walking around that mall, especially with the Limited right next to the apple store.

rat19
Apr 30, 2005, 03:15 AM
i just called my buddy in San Mateo, whos a PC guy, and told him to go five minutes to the Apple store in Burlingame. So he did and he won the JBL Speakers. He said it made his week.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000SY4SG.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I won those too at the Regent Street store, came in very handy as I was planning on buying some speakers some point in the near future to

Kerry Sanders
Apr 30, 2005, 03:09 PM
I won those too at the Regent Street store, came in very handy as I was planning on buying some speakers some point in the near future to

Very cool. How good do they sound with the Mac? Do they use the audio out port or USB?

wdlove
Apr 30, 2005, 03:30 PM

Yes, anyone that entered the Apple Store got the scratch ticket, no purchase required. Everything except for the iTunes free song had to be used last evening. The free iTunes song is good until June 25th.

I considered the free iTunes song to be like the dog tags at Panther release. My thought is that the 10% discount would have produced more sales. It would have worked with me. Our only purchase was Tiger for my wife.

rat19
Apr 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
Very cool. How good do they sound with the Mac? Do they use the audio out port or USB?

They sound very nice and I am very pleased. They use audio out. I have them plugged into my Aiport Express so I don't have to have them connected up to my iBook