Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hey everyone, I recently picked a graphite (no firewire) G3 up for cheap for parts.

To my delight it took an OS9 install and besides some minor issues it's running pretty smoothly.

One of the bizarre issues though is that when it wakes up from sleep it will immediately go into battery conservation mode and go back to sleep, despite it being on a power adapter..

I tried doing it from the OS9 CD which did the same thing. So it's not just a bad install or something (I wouldn't think)..

I've tried resetting the PRAM, NVRAM, the PMU many times... no dice. Anyone have any idea?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
It's called an iBook, Kurt. Help us help you with details. You would want details from us right?

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Well, he mentioned a battery, so I knew it was a portable, and all of the clamshells were colored, and I know for a fact that graphite was one of the colors. The clamshells are commonly referred to by their colors. I have a Blueberry model.

(this answered the question you edited out Zen......)

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Thats why I removed it but I guess you needed to remind me.

To try and answer the OP. If none of those methods worked maybe try reformatting and reinstalling the OS. All those steps you took should have fixed it if it was fixable within the current install.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Sorry for not being clear, yes I mean the 366mhz iBook G3 Camshell (graphite).. should have put that in the title, realize how ridiculous it looks now.

It originally has 64mb of ram soldered on and the expansion only had a 32mb stick to push it to a whopping 96mb of ram, so I can't install OS X. The thing that worries me is that when I boot into the OS9 installer CD and hit sleep on the menu the same issue occurs so I'm not sure if a reinstall will help. I'll probably find some RAM around town just to install Panther to see if it happens with OS X.

I did try taking the battery (which was spent) out and no luck.

It very well could be a damaged logic board, I know at least some of the keyboard isn't working which could mean water damage.. but the odd thing is that every other task seems to work completely fine. I've had it up for hours without any bombs or any kind of indication of damage.

One weird thing I noticed is that everytime I wake from sleep it tries to index the HD.. really strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.