PDA

View Full Version : New MBPro w/Lion installed - create rescue?

phillytim
Aug 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
Howdy guys - I'm new on the Mac-front and took the plunge with a MacBook Pro this past weekend. It already had Lion installed from the get-go.

With all this talk about creating a restore disk or USB for Lion, I have a question: how do I create one for my Mac?

The Apple Lion Recovery Assistant USB utility, when run, requires my to have my "recovery disk" available, but I don't have a recovery disk - there was no disk included in my MBP/Lion box!

Thanks for the insight!
:confused:

Nuckinfuts
Aug 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
Howdy guys - I'm new on the Mac-front and took the plunge with a MacBook Pro this past weekend. It already had Lion installed from the get-go.

With all this talk about creating a restore disk or USB for Lion, I have a question: how do I create one for my Mac?

The Apple Lion Recovery Assistant USB utility, when run, requires my to have my "recovery disk" available, but I don't have a recovery disk - there was no disk included in my MBP/Lion box!

Thanks for the insight!
:confused:

The recovery disc is another partition on your hard drive

phillytim
Aug 17, 2011, 12:32 PM
The recovery disc is another partition on your hard drive

Cool....so what if one day I wish to pop in a new, bigger/faster drive in the MacBook Pro? How would I get the OS & partition over to the new drive?

Nuckinfuts
Aug 17, 2011, 12:44 PM
Cool....so what if one day I wish to pop in a new, bigger/faster drive in the MacBook Pro? How would I get the OS & partition over to the new drive?

Create a recovery usb via the Apple utility or create a local install usb from the mac store dmg of Lion, both of these have been posted in the news section in the past

rossip
Aug 17, 2011, 12:49 PM

Go out and get yourself a 2GB thumb drive for like $6. Then run the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433) on it. You can use that thumb drive in the future to install Lion on a new Hard Drive.

NOTE: The Lion Recovery Disk Assistant completely erases the thumb drive you use with it. BE CAREFUL, Thatís why I recommend you go out and buy a thumb drive you can dedicate for this purpose.

----------

Create a recovery usb via the Apple utility or create a local install usb from the mac store dmg of Lion, both of these have been posted in the news section in the past

Ninja Post!

phillytim
Aug 18, 2011, 06:24 AM
A 2GB drive is big enough? Cool...thought I read it was 8GB from somewhere.

Can we actually image the current working hard disk onto a new one without any problems, in the Apple world? I used to do this all the time in PC-land.

I'm not sure if Apple writes any special stuff in places on the hard disk that prevents reliable imaging over to a new (bigger/different) hard disk.

Nuckinfuts
Aug 18, 2011, 03:13 PM
A 2GB drive is big enough? Cool...thought I read it was 8GB from somewhere.

Can we actually image the current working hard disk onto a new one without any problems, in the Apple world? I used to do this all the time in PC-land.

I'm not sure if Apple writes any special stuff in places on the hard disk that prevents reliable imaging over to a new (bigger/different) hard disk.

2GB is big enough for the recovery and internet install boot, you'll need a 4GB if you want to create an offline reinstaller.

Cloning a hard drive is possible yes, I don't believe in cloning disks (only sheep) so I suggest you search the forums on that topic.