Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
I was trying to install an optibay knock off on my pb g4 and accidentally tore off a connector from the motherboard.

Some sites state that either that is the speaker cable or something that has to do with the bluetooth. Thing is everything works as normal and i cant track down the problem.

I started thinking maybe it was the fan's cable but i dont really know. And so i became paranoid for the temperature on the processor. It sits around 60-65 celcius while just surfing. Is that normal? I am using an app called temperature monitor.

what temperatures do you get on your g4s?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Do you still hear the fan operating? Take a look at the connectors again and see if you can pinpoint where the wires route to. Fan connectors have a two prong connection that is unfortunately very easy to break, but pretty easy to fix.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
wow, you should back everything up, open it up, clean it out with an air duster and then do a clean install of the OS. Have that thing running like new!

is that a joke? I bought this last May and clean everything but did not fresh install Leopard because I do not have OSX dvd and I can't afford to buy OSX dvd so I dont use powerbook that much until i find someone who can donate osx dvd. :(

ftored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
120F is low enough i think, so i would guess that you don't need to do anything about it.

I came to the conclusion that the fan is not working as in stats says that fan speed is 0. I need to see how i can fix that. Thing is the connector broke off the motherboard and not off the wire. Maybe i should apply some thermal paste on the processor too.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Its normal for the fan to be at 0 when its not doing much, try something processor intensive and if the fan turns on then its fine.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
120F is low enough i think, so i would guess that you don't need to do anything about it.

I came to the conclusion that the fan is not working as in stats says that fan speed is 0. I need to see how i can fix that. Thing is the connector broke off the motherboard and not off the wire. Maybe i should apply some thermal paste on the processor too.

thank you very much I thought accessoriesguy is giving me an heart attack!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.