PDA

View Full Version : Operating temp for Powerbook g4 1Ghz

ftored
Aug 18, 2011, 01:07 AM
I was trying to install an optibay knock off on my pb g4 and accidentally tore off a connector from the motherboard.

Some sites state that either that is the speaker cable or something that has to do with the bluetooth. Thing is everything works as normal and i cant track down the problem.

I started thinking maybe it was the fan's cable but i dont really know. And so i became paranoid for the temperature on the processor. It sits around 60-65 celcius while just surfing. Is that normal? I am using an app called temperature monitor.

what temperatures do you get on your g4s?

Badrottie
Aug 18, 2011, 01:22 AM
my powerbook g4 with 1.5ghz temp is about 120 to 125F

dontwalkhand
Aug 18, 2011, 01:41 AM
Do you still hear the fan operating? Take a look at the connectors again and see if you can pinpoint where the wires route to. Fan connectors have a two prong connection that is unfortunately very easy to break, but pretty easy to fix.

Str8edgepunker
Aug 18, 2011, 07:19 AM
Best way to tell is using iStat That'll give you the fan speed.

accessoriesguy
Aug 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
my powerbook g4 with 1.5ghz temp is about 120 to 125F

wow, you should back everything up, open it up, clean it out with an air duster and then do a clean install of the OS. Have that thing running like new!

Badrottie
Aug 19, 2011, 02:54 PM
wow, you should back everything up, open it up, clean it out with an air duster and then do a clean install of the OS. Have that thing running like new!

is that a joke? I bought this last May and clean everything but did not fresh install Leopard because I do not have OSX dvd and I can't afford to buy OSX dvd so I dont use powerbook that much until i find someone who can donate osx dvd. :(

ftored
Aug 20, 2011, 06:57 AM
120F is low enough i think, so i would guess that you don't need to do anything about it.

I came to the conclusion that the fan is not working as in stats says that fan speed is 0. I need to see how i can fix that. Thing is the connector broke off the motherboard and not off the wire. Maybe i should apply some thermal paste on the processor too.

AQUADock
Aug 20, 2011, 07:41 AM
Its normal for the fan to be at 0 when its not doing much, try something processor intensive and if the fan turns on then its fine.

Badrottie
Aug 23, 2011, 01:41 AM
120F is low enough i think, so i would guess that you don't need to do anything about it.

I came to the conclusion that the fan is not working as in stats says that fan speed is 0. I need to see how i can fix that. Thing is the connector broke off the motherboard and not off the wire. Maybe i should apply some thermal paste on the processor too.

thank you very much I thought accessoriesguy is giving me an heart attack!!