Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
I've got the cash for a 20" imac but I can't decide whether to get one or not.

First of all, I keep reading quite a lot on other sites about a problem with the fans "sounding like a plane taking off" and "driving people mad". Is the problem really that bad ?

Also, these apparant updates are doing my head it. If I do get one, shall I just get it now ? Sounds like a lot of people have been putting it off for week after week incase the imacs get updated. Is it actually going to happen soon or are we talking months away ?

Cheers.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
dayloon said:

First of all, I keep reading quite a lot on other sites about a problem with the fans "sounding like a plane taking off" and "driving people mad". Is the problem really that bad ?

Also, these apparant updates are doing my head it. If I do get one, shall I just get it now ? Sounds like a lot of people have been putting it off for week after week incase the imacs get updated. Is it actually going to happen soon or are we talking months away ?

Cheers.

I am not sure about the volume of sound in the Imac, but what that explanation sounds like is a Powermac when it is in a warm room doing Heavy processor intensive work.

As far as waiting, it depends on how bad you need this new computer. If you have the cash in hand, and need a new computer. I would personally get one now. If you have a stable computer that is getting you by, you should be safe to wait until the updates happen.

I was recently in the same boat as you, fun times indeed!!

steve88

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
I am in the same boat as you right now. Although I have a semi stable computer right now, as stable as a windows machine can be, I am willing to wait a couple of weeks more. Rumor has it that the new imacs will have more ram on the video cards. Most people here that have imacG5's seem to like them a lot. I have also read the stories of the loud fans, so that is another reason for me to wait a little while more.
BUT.... if I don't hear any definate news about the new updates in about 2 weeks, I am just going to get one. I called MacMall yesterday, and they have not heard anything about updated Macs at all. This might just be BS to get you to buy immediately, I don't know for sure.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
steve88 said:
This might just be BS to get you to buy immediately, I don't know for sure.

I'm betting that they're just trying to get you to buy one. iMac rumors are all over the Macrumors homepage. I'm betting on an update soon, so I would just hold out until then.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
macbaseball said:
I'm betting that they're just trying to get you to buy one. iMac rumors are all over the Macrumors homepage. I'm betting on an update soon, so I would just hold out until then.

I agree. The iMac G5 is overdue for an update. I'm sure Apple is aware of the heat/fan issues that iMac G5 owners report to them. I think you should wait because I'm sure new iMacs will be released around the release of Tiger or by the end of next month.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
dayloon said:

In spite of the rumors about loud fans, I bought a G5 iMac 20" just after Christmas. It's been perfectly fine, I've barely ever heard the fans. The small fan on the back of my firewire HD enclosure under my desk makes more noise than the iMac.

I bet there are many more like mine out there, than there are with the loud fan problem. People with systems that are working fine tend not to post about them so you can easily get a distorted view of the problems.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
I just bought an i mac 20" last week. It's an awesome machine, no fan troubles tho for me. I will be taking it back next week since I have 14 days to do so and I will then wait till the updated one's come out. I have another computer that will get me by till then. The one thing I'me hoping they update is the graphics card because I can def. notice that it's lagging when trying to play games. And if they release an HD imac i would kick myself for not waiting an extra month or 2 at the the most. But if you must have one now, then go for it. They are good machines.

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
I dont have to have one now it's just that I don't want to wait ages for nothing. It seems like these rumors about an updated imac are purely down to the fact that they're "about due for an update". Doesn't seem anything solid in the slightest.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'm in the same boat. Been waiting all of April for the iMac update. I want the 20" but the $1899 price tag scares me a bit. So, I've also been checking Apple's Special deals page to see if the refurbs drop in price. I may have to grab a refurbished Rev A 20" or just keep my current 17" iMac G4.

What I really need is the 20" iMac going to 2.0Ghz, 512mb RAM, with bluetooth standard, bluetooth kb and mouse standard, Tiger installed and a $200 price cut. ;)

fener

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2003
Wait.
New iMacs are coming on April 26 or April 28, the day before the Tiger release.

Additionally, NEW iBooks are coming on 26th or 28th of April.

I think that the updates will take place on the 28th of April, and NOT on the 26th of April, as rumors are saying. WHY? Simple:

Mac OS 10.4 is coming out on the 29th. The new machines will have them pre-installed, hence CAN NOT hit the stores on 26th, three days before. They CAN however be sold one day prior to the release. People who preordered 10.4 will ALSO get their copies on 28th, one day before the release. (if shipped overnight)

Regards

fener

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2003
Oh, forgot to add something.

If you live near an Apple store, there will most likely be a 10% discount on April 29. So, this is also another big reason to wait. :)

steve88

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
When I talked to MacMall, they said that when Tiger is released, it will not be installed on in stock machines for a few weeks. Panther will be pre-installed and a Tiger disc will be included in the box. Of course, that is if you want to believe them since their business is selling what they have right now, not next week.

SeRgIo_42

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2004
Since it is fun to promote rumors, we were enjoying our
traditional happy hour with useless Apple stuff. Then someone
mentioned the fact that Apple site is now using
black background and the only hardware that
has the same color setting is the recently released powerbook line.

It would be quite timing to see new ibook, PM, whatever
coming out before next Friday. Especially if Apple is trying
to catch people's attention with Tiger.

About the original topic, I personally think Apple will not evolve
mac mini nowhere else (it does not have "i" or "power" before
its name and its role is get users by its price) even though I love
the little machine. For me, all-in-one computers are a waste of
money if they do not come if video input.

Have a good one !

fener said:
Wait.
New iMacs are coming on April 26 or April 28, the day before the Tiger release.

Additionally, NEW iBooks are coming on 26th or 28th of April.

I think that the updates will take place on the 28th of April, and NOT on the 26th of April, as rumors are saying. WHY? Simple:

Mac OS 10.4 is coming out on the 29th. The new machines will have them pre-installed, hence CAN NOT hit the stores on 26th, three days before. They CAN however be sold one day prior to the release. People who preordered 10.4 will ALSO get their copies on 28th, one day before the release. (if shipped overnight)

Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.