PDA

View Full Version : PearPC on Intel Mac

cube
Aug 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
I have to run a Tiger program and my Cube has Leopard installed.

Instead of installing it in an external hard drive, I would like to install PearPC on my Snow Leopard MBP and install Tiger on it.

Is there any guide?

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 21, 2011, 06:31 PM
A quick Google search reveals that PearPC is Windows-only, so you'd be installing it under Windows on your Mac.

Will your Tiger application only run under Tiger? Very few applications that were designed for Tiger don't run in Leopard. I'm able to run plenty of apps under Leopard that were made for Panther.

zen.state
Aug 21, 2011, 06:44 PM
Seems like the OP has mistaken PowerPC for PearPC. The first is a RISC based CPU architecture used on Macs from 1994-2005 and the 2nd is a Mac emulator for windows.

Very very different things.

cube
Aug 22, 2011, 02:03 AM
Somebody had compiled PearPC for Mac.

It is not a Mac emulator, it's a PPC emulator.

My program crashes when trying to start it on Leopard or Snow Leopard. It was made for Tiger.

AdrianK
Aug 22, 2011, 04:40 AM
Somebody had compiled PearPC for Mac.
Then what's the problem? Go use it. I found this (http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title=The_Moron's_Guide_to_Tiger_on_PearPC) set up guide via google in a couple of clicks (no offence intended ;)).

cube
Aug 22, 2011, 04:44 AM
Somebody compiled the program, but is no longer available, and I'm looking for instructions on how to build it for Mac (not necessarily trivial).

NZed
Aug 22, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm trying to run Tiger on PearPC on my Windows 7 BC. Wont pass boot screen. Anyways, its very glitchy i'd say.

PearPC emulates a PowerPC CPU.

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 22, 2011, 04:29 PM
Seems like the OP has mistaken PowerPC for PearPC.

Seems like the OP knew exactly what (s)he was talking about. Why assume that the OP doesn't know from a single post?

In the little research I did, it looks like while someone did compile PearPC for OS X, it was extremely slow. This website (http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/285130/compiling-pearpc-on-osx-tiger-x86/) might help some. Do you know anything about compiling applications from source? There's a lot that goes into it...

Also, what application are you trying to run? Maybe there's an Intel Mac-compatible equivalent that someone knows of...

old-wiz
Aug 22, 2011, 09:43 PM
Do you know anything about compiling applications from source? There's a lot that goes into it...

Well said. When I worked as a software engineer, taking just the source code for any application ad compiling it and getting it to run was a serious job, even when you have 20+ years of *NIX programming experience.

You need to find the right or a workable compiler, find all the right libraries, deal with things that aren't where the makefile might expect them to be, make sure the hardware is what's required, and then be able to use a symbolic debugger if it doesn't work.

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
Well said. When I worked as a software engineer, taking just the source code for any application ad compiling it and getting it to run was a serious job, even when you have 20+ years of *NIX programming experience.

Yup. I want to make clear that I was simply inquiring as to the OP's knowledge of compiling programs from source. A second read looked like it could be read something like "Do you know anything about compiling applications from source?!" and that wasn't the intent.