Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I posted earlier because I thought I needed a new battery, but now I am not so sure. I am about to leave my computer and the country for about 5 months. My grandma is giving me her old 1st gen iPod, which I though had a dead battery. It does work when I hook it up to my computer and after about 5 minutes I could disconnect it and get the light to come on. However, the iPod does not respond by hooking up to the charger. Do I just need a new charger? I can't be craging my iPod via firewire when I'm gone because I won't have a computer. Also, if I do replace the battery will I lose all of the songs on it? I'm leaving at 8am tomorrow so I am frantic... please help!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Replacing the battery should not have any impact on the songs.

I'd recommend finding a compatible firewire charger, from someone else, that you know, to test the latter question. I don't know any easier way, unless you have a voltmeter handy. ;)

If you don't see anything when its plugged in to the charger -- like a charging symbol on the screen, then...hmmm. You could also try a hard reset...this might help, but unlikely. Plug it in to the charger (only), with the charger plugged in to the wall. Toggle the hold switch to on then off, and then hold menu and play down for about 10 seconds. If it works, you should get an Apple logo or some other kind of response from the iPod.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i have a spare charger if you want to buy one and live in the uk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.