Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I'm just wondering if the sheer number of posts on how to use the various P2P software programs or how to resolve issues with the same gives the impression that most MacRumors forum members are downloading pirated content? I've seen threads where people talk about having torrents running all night, but I can't imagine what legal download would take that long.

I was just curious as to how many forum members download anything other than pirated content and what do they download.

I am not saying that there is no legal use of P2P, and I'm not trying to start a flame war or a screaming match or a mudslinging mess or a discussion on the legality of downloading.

I'm wondering if the moderators should consider banning discussions of P2P?

Please don't go off at me; I think both the MPAA and the RIAA and the other ilk are actually encouraging the downloading by making it really difficult or impossible to get media legally. I'm perfectly willing to pay ONCE for movies or music. For example, I still buy DVDs (yes, I'm an old coot who doesn't have a blu-ray player, but mostly cause my TV isn't big enough), but I hate the idea that I have to pay again to have it on my computer where I could create a library of movies or just to put a few movies on my laptop so I'd have something to watch on long plane flights.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
This seems like it would be more in the Community Discussion. I am confused whether you're trying to discuss P2P in general or just banning it from discussing on MR.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I suggested this topic be started here, in this forum, because of the question about whether or not that type of discussion should be allowed.

If the discussion becomes more community-forum-like, we can move the thread.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I wouldn't mind a ban on it. All too often there are thinly veiled "What's the best bit torrent program... for downloading Linux distros, of course..." threads that are left alone while others that outright admit to pirating are removed. Seems kind of weak to me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There may be valid uses for P2P but I think in reality its heavily weighted to downloading pirated music and music.

I think at one point vmware was using torrents to download vmware appliances, not sure if they're continuing that now or using traditional download methods.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
In case of clear "wareing", threads are usually closed. These include references to torrent sites, instructions how to crack an application and so forth.

I'm happy with the current policy. We all know that torrents are mainly used for piracy and the legal use is very limited, but I think it's completely fine to discuss about harmless topics, such as what is the best torrent app and do you download torrents. As long as there is no promotion of illegal activities of any kind, it shouldn't cause problems.

I think this could be compared with jailbreaking. It also opens doors for illegal activities, so JBing should be banned as well if we limited discussion of torrents.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I was also concerned that some smart-ass lawyer from the RIAA/MPAA might go after MacRumors for "promoting" illegal downloads.

I don't see an issue with jailbreaking. In my book, you've purchased the device so you can modify it any way you want. I've never considered jailbreaking my iPod Touch 4G, mostly because I just use it for storing music to listen while I'm walking or on the plane.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I use a torrent client probably 2-3 times a year usually. Some things are just more feasible to release via torrent. For instance I recently downloaded an Oblivion mod compilation which was about 8 GB. It was only available through torrents. I've also downloaded "Another Version of the Truth" which is a fan made edit of Nine Inch Nails live tours and their music, allowed directly from the band.

There's no reason to disallow talk of torrent clients in my opinion. One could just as easily associate the MP3 format, IRC clients, usenet clients, or FTP clients with warez back in the past. If somebody is either clearly pirating content or "wink wink nudge nudge"ing... we can deal with the thread. To ban a technology because of its majority use isn't the right way to go about it.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I agree with SilentPanda and Hellhammer. Yes, there's a lot of pirating done via torrents but also a lot of *legit* stuff distributed that way. Bob Fripp's (King Crimson etc) label has a ton of live stuff for sale and gives you the choice of a straight d/l or via torrent - and this is a guy that has his people keeping a very keen eye out for piracy and taking steps to stop it. I torrent stuff through a certain tracker that deals in live music recordings - they are *very* strict when it comes to even a snippet of commercially available music whether it's stiff for sale or not - if it ever was it's not allowed. They also keep "not allowed artist" and "not allowed venue" lists, respecting the wishes of any artist (or their authorized rep.) to "opt out" of having recordings of their shows tracked. It's not the technology or the programs - if it was then there should probably be no discussion allowed of rapidshare and other file hosting sites, or usenet, or etc etc etc.....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.