PDA

View Full Version : how to get from Aperture 2 to 3?

pittster
Aug 24, 2011, 07:52 AM
I originally bought Aperture 2 via download and I still have the serial number in the email that was sent to me when I bought it.

I wish to put Aperture 3 in to my new iMac.

do I.....

1 - download the 30 day trial version of Aperture 3 and enter in my Aperture 2 serial number when prompted?

or

2 - download the 'purchase' version of Aperture 3 through App Store and hope that because I already own V2 it will come up with something saying 'you have already purchased this item, do you still want to download'

any thoughts/ideas warmly welcomed.

aristobrat
Aug 24, 2011, 08:02 AM
Aperture 3 isn't a free upgrade to Aperture 2 users, so your old serial number won't work with it.

IIRC, before the Mac App Store, Aperture 2 users were able to buy an Aperture 3 upgrade on DVD for something like $99 (vs the $199 "full price"), but now the "full price" of Aperture 3 is less than the upgrade price.

BJMRamage
Aug 24, 2011, 08:04 AM
yep, Option #2 (somewhat).

Buy the Full version on Mac App Store.
you can upgrade free for any 2.x but once you hit the next number it is a new purchase.

pittster
Aug 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
yep, Option #2 (somewhat).

Buy the Full version on Mac App Store.
you can upgrade free for any 2.x but once you hit the next number it is a new purchase.

ok thanks for the replies.

am a bit confused, unless I've read it wrong one of you says it's a free upgrade from V2 to V3, but another says it's not....
:confused:

aristobrat
Aug 24, 2011, 08:18 AM

am a bit confused, unless I've read it wrong one of you says it's a free upgrade from V2 to V3, but another says it's not....
I think what BJMRamage was saying is that you get free updates to the existing version. So if you're on 2.1, and 2.2 comes out, that's a free update.

When the version number to the left changes, then that's usually not a free update. i.e. you can't from from 2.anything to 3 for free.

TheDrift-
Aug 24, 2011, 08:23 AM

no i think they are both saying the same thing..its going to be paid.

its free to upgrade 2.x but not to 3.0..

in other words upgrading from 2 to 2.5 would be free, but 2.5 to 3 would be paid..

for what is worth I suspect you'll probably have to pay but on the positive side apperture is great value at the moment!

*edit*
damn aristobrat beat me to it lol!!

RaceTripper
Aug 24, 2011, 08:24 AM
I originally bought Aperture 2 via download and I still have the serial number in the email that was sent to me when I bought it.

I wish to put Aperture 3 in to my new iMac.

do I.....

1 - download the 30 day trial version of Aperture 3 and enter in my Aperture 2 serial number when prompted?

or

2 - download the 'purchase' version of Aperture 3 through App Store and hope that because I already own V2 it will come up with something saying 'you have already purchased this item, do you still want to download'

any thoughts/ideas warmly welcomed.Your least expensive and least painful option to upgrade from v2 to v3 is to just buy it from the App Store for $79. There is no free upgrade from v2 to v3 and never was. Previously, the upgrade cost around $100.

pittster
Aug 24, 2011, 08:40 AM
understood.

thanks for the help