chimera I'm using OmniWeb. Chimera just started
quitting on me. I'm using the free version
of OmniWeb...not sure if it quits after a
couple of days or what. But it's fast and I
love the spell checker...in a browser, can
you imagine?

GeeYouEye
Oct 2, 2002, 12:53 AM
Don't mount the disk image in 10.2.1, at least not without expecting to restart. It causes a coreservices crash, which essentially takes the computer 9 of 10 steps of the way to a kernal panic. Any folder with an Apple designed custom icon, will have its icon dissapear. Ah, heck, here's a list of symptoms:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=12203

pianophile
Oct 2, 2002, 01:56 PM
The image appears to be perfectly compatible with 10.2.1. I downloaded and installed it with no problems. Try downloading it again.

beatle888
Oct 2, 2002, 02:54 PM
yea it worked fine for me too.
what are the limitations of the
free version, does anybody know?

pianophile
Oct 2, 2002, 03:12 PM
The free version has no limitations. Every so often, though, a "watermark" appears over the contents of your OW windows that says "Unregistered". This goes away if you click an URL or something. Pretty painless, and you can make it go away permanently by buying a license.

beatle888
Oct 2, 2002, 07:30 PM
thanks piano. i think this will be my new
browser. i was using chimera but with no
flash support it's sort of a bummer. so now
i use OMNIWEB :)

mattevil
Oct 2, 2002, 10:32 PM
if you like the old icon better you can get it at http://icons.cx/

bretm
Oct 9, 2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by beatle888
thanks piano. i think this will be my new
browser. i was using chimera but with no
flash support it's sort of a bummer. so now
i use OMNIWEB :)

Well, enjoy omniweb's lack of DHTML and CSS support. You'll find it causes many more problems, except you won't know it. Try macmall.com as a test. Oh, but that site doesn't work right in chimera either. The pull down menus under the main bar should A. pull down and B. pull down under their headers (not in the upper left of the screen)

Most of the "other" browsers have something cool about them.. .tabs for example. But I still contend IE is still the only one that shows sites 99% AS DESIGNED. Mine included. I use DW and GoLive. Sites designed there look the same and operate correctly in IE. Not chimera, not usually Netscape (but second best), not mozilla, definitely not OmniWeb (although it's the best looking browser!), etc.

I used OmniWeb for awhile until I realized I was missing half the sites content because it didn't fully support pull down menus.

Foocha
Oct 9, 2002, 02:58 AM
OmniWeb does a fair job of CSS, but it does not seem to support margins, or Level 2 selectors. That's a shame, because otherwise it looks pretty good.

danman
Oct 9, 2002, 03:57 AM
There are lots of problems with OmniWeb, but I have still bought a Licence, and don't regret it one bit.
Tech support and bug reports and replied to within the day usually, and it is far and away the best looking browser, and just does everything the way a browser should (UI wise I mean)

I keep Chimera, IE, and Omniweb in my dock, and switch between them. Chimera is best for sites with large pages (like these forums), IE for compatibility, and Omniweb for just plain pleasure of use.

I can't wait for OW5.. OmniGroup are writing their own lightweight objects for rendering the page, which should improve performance no-end, along with promised full support for CSS and Javascript, it will be a killer browser.

The big reason I like OW? try using the 'RESIZE' widget on any other browser, only OW knows how big the page is and resizes the window by the correct amount, all the others just go full screen (STUUUUPID!)

Foocha
Oct 9, 2002, 04:45 AM
I agree - I like OmniWeb too, and if they really do come through with the promise of full CSS support, they will have the best browser on the market.

It's going to be a tough decision for Apple to make when selecting the successor to IE Macintosh Edition - go with Mozilla and follow-through on the OS X open source philosophy, or buy OmniWeb with all its elegance - only downside is that they'll have to maintain the overhead of developing a rendering engine and keeping it up-to-date.

I suspect they'll go with Mozilla and give it a beatiful Apple skin - but it'll be a tough decision that's keeping Steve Jobs up at night right now!

mac15
Oct 9, 2002, 06:06 AM
it needs CSS support (full support) and the god damn ability to remember wheer you left the window and not reset it at startup :(

but its top notch

pianophile
Oct 9, 2002, 08:57 AM
The hard thing about CSS and JS support is, when everyone says they want support for "standards", what they really mean is "make it work like IE". And that is a moving target, so all the alternative browsers are playing a never-ending game of catch-up.

Folks from Omni Development have said the big push in version 5 development is for complete CSS and JS support, among other things. I hope they deliver on this!

Foocha
Oct 10, 2002, 02:08 AM
From a user's perspective, I agree, you want it to work like IE. From a developers perspective, you want it to follow W3C standards.

skunk
Oct 14, 2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by danman
The big reason I like OW? try using the 'RESIZE' widget on any other browser, only OW knows how big the page is and resizes the window by the correct amount, all the others just go full screen (STUUUUPID!)

Actually, IE seems to resize fine for me. OW does look great, but you do miss an awful lot of content. I've still bought a licence, but only one for three Macs, as I reckon I'm only getting that much usability!:rolleyes:

unbellaco
Oct 23, 2002, 11:18 AM
All the rumbling points to apple using Chimera as it's new browser of choice come jan. However i still love omniweb and will continue to endorse it. I just wish it supported ALL web standards properly. version 5 will rock!:D

danman
Oct 23, 2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by skunk
[B]

Actually, IE seems to resize fine for me.

Well, well. Just tried it myself again, does seem to work quite well.. I reckon that was fixed in recent update, because b4 it always just used to go 'fullscreen' and back.

wdlove
Oct 23, 2002, 08:00 PM
I was very impressed by Omniweb, got a tour of it at MacWorld NY! :)

mads
Oct 28, 2002, 04:24 PM
i like tabbed browsing, can't wait for opera 6 to come out

Fipher
Nov 21, 2002, 05:08 PM
Folks from Omni Development have said the big push in version 5 development is for complete CSS and JS support, among other things. I hope they deliver on this!

I agree, I love OmniWeb, but it doesn't support many websites. That's the only reson I swiched to IE! If OW 5 delivers full suport for CSS and JS I will definatly swich back to OW. Mabe even pay for the licence! (mabe...depending on my ecinomic status when it comes out)

wdlove
Nov 23, 2002, 06:58 PM
Hoepfully with updates it will support more web sites.