PDA

View Full Version : Lion Internet Recovery giving me errors; can't download and install Lion on 2011 Air

snverhallen
Sep 6, 2011, 07:04 PM
I completely formatted my MacBook Air's SSD from my backup HD. I tried to reinstall Lion on the SSD via Internet Recovery (the only way I believe) and it appears to work but then gives me the following error 1006F. I saw that other people are having similar problems and was wondering if there are any solutions at this point, because I'd really like to install Lion on my MacBook Air again.

Thanks in advance,

snverhallen

iBreatheApple
Sep 7, 2011, 10:10 AM
This is the best I could I could find for now. It may not be helpful but I didn't want to scroll through all 7 pages, it's something though. Here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206618?start=75&tstart=0).

niksimpsons
Sep 8, 2011, 02:10 AM
I was also trying to the same for my Mac mini. I found one more option and also tried that called Disk Assistant (http://drive-recovery-mac.blogspot.com/2011/08/lion-recovery-disk-assistant.html) for the same purpose but it couldn't help me :(.

Ruahrc
Sep 8, 2011, 02:25 AM
Try resetting your PRAM (typically it's hold down cmd+option+P+R before the startup chime, keep holding until you hear the chime a 2nd time). Apparently Lion leaves some traces of itself or botched installs in the PRAM, which interferes with subsequent install attempts.

I had a similar problem on the mini server and clearing the PRAM seemed to fix it.

Ruahrc

DJBBOX
Sep 8, 2011, 06:44 AM
make a Lion USB bootable key and install it with that. there is plenty of tutorials all over the web to create one. i did that on a MacBookAir3,1 and then installed all the updates and works perfectly.

maflynn
Sep 8, 2011, 06:48 AM
I opted for the Lion USB for this particular reason. I found it safest to have that, plus its not tied to my MAS account.

Anyways for the OP, you'll be better off creating a lion USB install as the other poster mentioned

Ruahrc
Sep 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
But FYI, in order to create a USB installer of the special version of Lion on the 2011 Air, you have to have access to a 2nd mac or an external drive so you can "capture" the InstallESD.dmg file. It is not the same as downloading it from the MAS.

And, reportedly, the Lion USB stick you buy from Apple won't even install on the 2011 MBA or minis. Again because it's the retail release whereas the 2011 machines have a different version with new drivers.

Ruahrc

killerrobot
Sep 8, 2011, 02:14 PM
I read on Apple's site that the Internet recovery will only work if you're running WPA/WPA2 Personal encryption on your wireless network.

Something to look into. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

DJBBOX
Sep 8, 2011, 05:00 PM
as i said before the USB key will work if you make it from the retail DVD you buy at the store. yes it will not work properly at first because of missing drivers but once you do the updates as i said before, all drivers will be updated and everything will work then. I'm not assuming any of this information. i done it on a MBA3,1 successfully.