PDA

View Full Version : Can't Rip DVDs

KJmoon117
Sep 8, 2011, 12:47 AM
I'm trying to make a back up copy of my DVDs onto my computer since I'm moving away to college but none of the programs I'm using seems to work.

So far I've used HandBrake, which doesn't seem to scan the titles, and Mac DVDRipper Pro, which gives me this warning to quit DVDPlayer and reinsert the dvd.

The problem is that I've already quit DVD Player and I have an optibay setup on my MBP so the DVD Player shouldn't even be working in the first place.

Any advice anyone?

hexonxonx
Sep 8, 2011, 12:48 AM
Make sure that you also have VLC player installed. It may be that you are missing the codecs needed to rip the DVDs since they may have copyright protection on them. VLC installed the codecs.

KJmoon117
Sep 8, 2011, 01:00 AM
Make sure that you also have VLC player installed. It may be that you are missing the codecs needed to rip the DVDs since they may have copyright protection on them. VLC installed the codecs.

I do have VLC installed and not even VLC can play back the DVD.

The DVD is flawless, it's not scratched at all and other players (my Xbox 360) can play it back. Just nothing on the computer seems to be able to read it.

I am using an external SuperDrive... if that makes a difference.

hexonxonx
Sep 8, 2011, 01:01 AM
I do have VLC installed and not even VLC can play back the DVD.

The DVD is flawless, it's not scratched at all and other players (my Xbox 360) can play it back. Just nothing on the computer seems to be able to read it.

I am using an external SuperDrive... if that makes a difference.

It could be your drive. I have not had any problems ripping DVDs under Lion with my built in drive on my MBP.

KJmoon117
Sep 8, 2011, 05:42 AM
Any advice on how to fix that?

The external SuperDrive does work with other CDs when it comes to installing things and whatnot. Just not with DVDs...

i4k20c
Sep 9, 2011, 09:13 AM
So it mounts? You can see the DVD in finder?

Do you have any data dvd's where you can try and see if it will read from that?

ECUpirate44
Sep 9, 2011, 09:24 AM
Just buy ripit. Flawless DVD rip every time.

danny_w
Sep 9, 2011, 09:40 AM
Just buy ripit. Flawless DVD rip every time.
...except that lately it leaves everything copy protected. I have given up on RipIt and gone back to MacTheRipper.

KJmoon117
Sep 9, 2011, 09:44 AM
...except that lately it leaves everything copy protected. I have given up on RipIt and gone back to MacTheRipper.

RipIt has the same problem. For every disc I put in, even the ones I ripped on Boot Camp, it states that the disc has a 100% bad sector.

My situation seems to be same as this guy's
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1134344

AFPoster
Sep 9, 2011, 09:57 AM
I've never had a problem with Ripit sucks to hear that you are. Hope you find a fix.