PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Erase & Install Question

RBMaraman
Oct 2, 2002, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone. I'm running Jaguar (10.2.1) on a 500mhz iBook with 256Mb of RAM. I purchased it in August of 2001, so it also has 9.2.2 installed. I NEVER use OS 9, and I want to perform an erase and install of Jaguar to reclaim hard drive space and increase my speed. I will install classic (just in case I ever need it), but my question is this: Do I use the iBook Software Install CD to reinstall applications such as AppleWorks once I have performed the erase and install? I don't have a ton of programs I have to install, and since Jaguar includes all the other programs I mainly use, I believe AppleWorks is the only one I will have to pull off the CD. Thanks in advance.

blackpeter
Oct 2, 2002, 04:05 PM
Can't you find AppleWorks on Apple's website for free?

RBMaraman
Oct 2, 2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by tfaz1
Can't you find AppleWorks on Apple's website for free?

The updater is available for free, but you already have to have the version installed on your computer to run the updater.

evildead
Oct 2, 2002, 06:57 PM
I think you need to have 9 installed for classic to work... I'm going to wipe out 9 the next time I to a clean install of OS X. I just did an upgrade to 10.2 due to time constrants... and I just cant afford to be down right now.

As for the apps on the install CD... It used to be that Apple had a seperate CD with installers for the Apps that you wanted to pull off.. I dont know anymore if you can just pull them off. I think that there are installers for them in the CDs.. you just have to look for them. Its been a long time since I tried to do that. My Rev-A iMac was my last Mac that came with any extra stuff thats not part of the OS or is free download.

-evildead

madamimadam
Oct 3, 2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by evildead
I think you need to have 9 installed for classic to work... I'm going to wipe out 9 the next time I to a clean install of OS X. I just did an upgrade to 10.2 due to time constrants... and I just cant afford to be down right now.

As for the apps on the install CD... It used to be that Apple had a seperate CD with installers for the Apps that you wanted to pull off.. I dont know anymore if you can just pull them off. I think that there are installers for them in the CDs.. you just have to look for them. Its been a long time since I tried to do that. My Rev-A iMac was my last Mac that came with any extra stuff thats not part of the OS or is free download.

-evildead

The only way you can have classic without stand-alone OS9 is if you have the restore disk from one of the new machines. The new machines have a special disc that has restore for OS X and Classic on it and a disk for installing OSX but no install for OS 9.

As for AppleWorks, good question, I was pretty sure that it was installed by the restore discs.

MacBandit
Oct 3, 2002, 02:06 AM
The restore cd's contain the programs. As to wether or not you can install them individually I'm at a loss. I've never needed to do it.

Lz0
Oct 3, 2002, 06:12 AM
You can't install individual apps from the restore CD's, but you should have got a CD called "Applications" with your Mac along with a OS9 and OSX and the Software Restore discs.

Appleworks should be on the "Applications" CD.

RBMaraman
Oct 3, 2002, 07:43 AM
Thanks for you answers. I found Appleworks on the Applications CD, and I have everything running just fine. I decided not to install classic or OS 9 at all, mainly because I never use any applications that require its usage. Once again, thanks for answer my question!