PDA

View Full Version : My external drive no longer shows up in finder

HawaiiMacAddict
Sep 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
Aloha everyone,

I'm running Lion on my iMac and my MacBook Pro (see my sig for details) and have few to very little issues as such, at least until today. I have a 2TB external drive (WD) that I use to host my iTunes and iPhoto libraries, as well as other ancillary files I may need at work (I do a lot of Photoshop, unofficially, for my job).

This morning, like normal I downloaded podcasts for my drive into work, synced my iPhone, and checked a couple of files on my external via the finder. Once I got into work and plugged everything in, I saw the icon for my external on the desktop, but when I tried to use the finder, nothing showed up under Devices, which is where it normally shows up. Interestingly enough, I get the same behavior when I insert my USB thumb drive (both devices attach via USB). I can navigate to the drives using Cmd-up arrow, but I fail to understand why they won't both show up as normal in finder on my MacBook Pro.

I ran Disk Utility to verify the external drive and everything there checked out OK. When I check the system, everything seems to be OK, with the exception that they no longer show up in finder. The first thing I did was to verify that the checkbox to display external drives was still checked, which it is. Does anyone have any idea of where else I can try troubleshooting this particular issue? I really don't think it's a Lion issue, but as that is what I'm using to drive the computer, I thought to put this in the Lion forum. I'm not even sure it's a USB problem, even though only the USB-connected external drives are the ones not showing up in finder. I'm really kind of stumped on this one and would appreciate any and all assistance in resolving this issue.

killerrobot
Sep 8, 2011, 01:33 PM
If you create a new user account and plug-in the external does it show up in the finder window?

HawaiiMacAddict
Sep 8, 2011, 01:43 PM
If you create a new user account and plug-in the external does it show up in the finder window?

I'll do that right now and post back to let you know.

----------

Aloha killerrobot,

Unfortunately for me, it's something to do with my account. I created a second account for my nieces and nephew, so that they can get on Facebook or Club Penguin when they come over. That account is a Standard User account, but all my external drives show up there. I suppose that I could just create another user account, for myself this time, and go from there, but I would like to try to figure out where the issue lies. Do you, or anyone else on this forum, know of a direction along which I can tailor my research? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

killerrobot
Sep 8, 2011, 01:45 PM
Also just to double check that in Finder>Prefs>Sidebar, you have the external disks option checked.

HawaiiMacAddict
Sep 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
Also just to double check that in Finder>Prefs>Sidebar, you have the external disks option checked.

OK, you showed me yours - I'll show you mine :D

I just resolved the issue. I'm such a dunderhead at time (but don't repeat that :D) When I was navigating to find the screenshot, the cursor went to the right of the Devices label and I saw Show. I do not remember hiding the drives, but now they all appear. D'oh! I'm a fairly experienced Mac user (I switched over in 2006) - this is definitely something I should have considered from the get-go.

killerrobot
Sep 8, 2011, 02:05 PM
OK, you showed me yours - I'll show you mine :D

I just resolved the issue. ... When I was navigating to find the screenshot, the cursor went to the right of the Devices label and I saw Show. I do not remember hiding the drives, but now they all appear.

There I didn't repeat that for you... Yeah I hadn't noticed the "hide" option until I took that screen shot. Totally forgot to mention that. Experienced users or not, weird things happen sometimes...;) Glad it was an easy fix.

HawaiiMacAddict
Sep 8, 2011, 02:07 PM
There I didn't repeat that for you... Yeah I hadn't noticed the "hide" option until I took that screen shot. Totally forgot to mention that. Experienced users or not, weird things happen sometimes...;) Glad it was an easy fix.

Yeah, I'm glad it was so easy to resolve as well. I was a little worried that maybe something more sinister was at play.

tarja333
Sep 22, 2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for that you have also saved me, i did the same, mac user for ages and still did not realise that, new 10.8.2 update reset a lot of things

Cheers