PDA

View Full Version : "MacOS" file on reboot?

sxcJoshie
Sep 10, 2011, 04:16 AM
Hello

This may be something really easy to fix and i'm just being oblivious to it but every time I reboot OSX and login, the finder opens into a file named "MacOS". It's just annoying to have to close it each time. Any ideas?

Thank you.

gr8tfly
Sep 10, 2011, 04:27 AM
Is a file or a folder? Where does it reside? (Finder > view > show path, or cmd-click on the window name at the top)

You can get more info by right-click (secondary click) and selecting "Get Info" or Finder > edit Get Info (cmd-I)

sxcJoshie
Sep 10, 2011, 04:37 AM
Ok so it seems like there are 60 of them and they are in

Macintosh HD > Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 > Office > Shared Applications > Proofing Tools.

gr8tfly
Sep 10, 2011, 05:58 PM
So it's a Finder folder in "/Proofing Tools" that's open? Not a file of that name opening in an app?

In any case, restart and uncheck the option to reopen apps and windows (if you are running Lion). Restart, and nothing should be open.

If you are running SL, try closing the Finder window, then using Apple menu > Force Quit..., relaunch the Finder. It shouldn't open any Finder windows on the relaunch. (Try this on Lion, if the above restart method doesn't work.)

superstrikertwo
Sep 10, 2011, 06:49 PM
System Preferences > System > Users & Groups > *your user account* > Login Items > Uncheck anything that shouldn't be opening.

I had this problem with Steam opening the MacOS folder.

FluffyPop
Sep 10, 2011, 07:13 PM
Superstriketwo is right. I had exactly the same problem after installing steam.