PDA

View Full Version : Lion Clean Install

nunes013
Sep 10, 2011, 11:00 AM
so my computer is still running hot from lion and a few other bugs. I've always wanted to do a clean install since my computer is going on 3 years. i think i am about to do it but want to make sure im doing it right because i have never done it before. for lion clean install

-boot into recovery HD after holding option during restart.
-run disk utility and erase HD and set up as new.
-after its done and the fresh OS is on plug in time machine drive and get back all old documents and programs

i would know how to do it from snow leopard but without media i am a little confused. the first two steps are where i want clarification.

KingSpeedy
Sep 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
That's pretty much the process I used, only I went from a DVD I made from the dmg in the Lion Installer. Erased the drive and ran the installer right from it.

nunes013
Sep 10, 2011, 11:22 AM
cool. so if i just download the lion recovery disk assistant and make it bootable on a flash drive then boot from it and run disk utility i should be all set

Weaselboy
Sep 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
cool. so if i just download the lion recovery disk assistant and make it bootable on a flash drive then boot from it and run disk utility i should be all set

That would do it.

DocNYz
Sep 10, 2011, 12:07 PM

Yeah I highly recommend having a bootable flash drive in your possession for convenience/safety.

nunes013
Sep 10, 2011, 12:41 PM
thanks guys!!! going to do it now. im going to make a bootable flash drive too when i finish.

tahoeroscoe
Sep 10, 2011, 03:14 PM

Thats how i did it on my early 2009 MBP, really easy and straight forward, however it did take a while to download everything lion needed to install even with a 50mb connection.

jbg232
Sep 11, 2011, 10:56 AM
If you're having bugs and really want to do a clean install I would recommend against restoring a time machine backup. The best way to give your system a fresh start is to re-install all your programs individually and only take the files from the backup drive. This is because you're copying everything bit-for-bit from the time machine backup and something that may have been corrupt in the past and the cause of errors will be copied over to your new machine.

Taz Mangus
Sep 11, 2011, 01:39 PM
If you're having bugs and really want to do a clean install I would recommend against restoring a time machine backup. The best way to give your system a fresh start is to re-install all your programs individually and only take the files from the backup drive. This is because you're copying everything bit-for-bit from the time machine backup and something that may have been corrupt in the past and the cause of errors will be copied over to your new machine.

This.

It may take a little longer to install Lion but it is the safer way to do it if you are going to do a clean install. This is the way I installed Lion on all my Macs. I have had zero freezes, zero kernel panics and no slow downs since clean installing Lion.