PDA

View Full Version : App Store and OSX Lion Question

Petronas
Sep 12, 2011, 02:51 AM
I am planning to sell my 2011 MacBook Pro which came installed with Snow Leopard and was wondering –

If I install Lion, will that particular copy of Lion, which was purchased from the Mac App Store via my iTunes account, have any remnants of any of my details such as my iTunes account when the new user opens the Mac App Store through his/her own iTunes account?

For example I downloaded Angry birds on my mates laptop using my iTunes account so now if she ever wants to update it it asks to sign into my iTunes account. Will this still be the same for OSX Lion when viewing it in the Mac App Store under the "Purchases" heading?

maflynn
Sep 12, 2011, 06:04 AM
If you install Lion from the app store, then it will be associated to your MAS ID. Others have posted on this topic quite a bit, search is your friend in this case.

You'll need to perform a clean install from a USB, either the one apple sells or create one yourself.

saulinpa
Sep 12, 2011, 07:28 AM
If you are selling it the best thing is to re-install Snow Leopard from the disks/key and be done with it. The Lion license agreement says that as well.

Petronas
Sep 12, 2011, 09:24 AM
If you install Lion from the app store, then it will be associated to your MAS ID.

Will it still be associated if I create a bootable Lion CD from that image and do a fresh install of OSX from that Lion Bootable CD?

If you are selling it the best thing is to re-install Snow Leopard from the disks/key and be done with it. The Lion license agreement says that as well.

Maybe I will have more prospective buyers if I install Lion on the machine.

saulinpa
Sep 12, 2011, 11:17 PM
Maybe I will have more prospective buyers if I install Lion on the machine.

The more pirated software that you advertise, the more prospective buyers that you will have. Just add a note saying that they need to but the license separately.