PDA

View Full Version : Lion incompatible with Time Machine?

mrmeister
Sep 12, 2011, 04:01 AM
Hi,
I'm hoping to upgrade to OS X Lion today, once my new hard drives arrive. I have read reviews on the app store that Time Machine doesn't work or that its changed since 10.6 or something like that. I think what they were saying is that you can't use the same Time Machine you had for Snow Leopard, with Lion.

I just wanted to ask whether this was still the case? If it is, then i'll start a new Time Machine backup on a different hard drive until i'm sure that everything is working how it should, so that i don't have to revert back to Snow Leopard.

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks

maflynn
Sep 12, 2011, 05:59 AM
Time Machine works fine with Lion. I think the major problem with TM when Lion first hit the streets was the fact that Apple changed the AFP authentication so many NAS units that support Time Machine were not functioning. The major NAS maker have since supplied updates and those works well.

If you have an external drive that connects via FW or USB, or use TimeCapsule. Then you have even less to worry about since Time Machine works out of the box. If you do have a NAS unit, then contact the vendor for an update.

I use TM now on my Qnap NAS and it works just as it did on SL

Macman45
Sep 12, 2011, 06:01 AM
With an external HDD, no problems at all, just formatted the drive and off I went.

niksimpsons
Sep 12, 2011, 06:06 AM
I never feel any such issue with time machine in OS X Lion. Unlike to this I felt some enhanced feature http://9to5mac.com/2011/02/24/lion-has-new-versions-feature-that-records-the-evolution-of-your-documents.

Apart from this there are some compatibility issues with OS X Lion which I suggest to read before upgrading: Mac OS X Lion Compatibility info (http://www.macintosh-software.net/blog/mac-os-x-lion-compatibility-information/) .

robgendreau
Sep 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Some people get confused about Time Machine, often because they clean installed and didn't understand how that affected their backup, or overwrote their existing Time Machine backups.

If you install Lion and think you might wanna go back to SL, then I'd try installing on a separate volume and then booting into it. You can then start your own new Time Machine backup of that volume. But then you'd have SL available and a SL backup, so you're really safe. Once you've committed to Lion, you could ditch it.