PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard for PPC G4

canhoto
Sep 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hi.

My old 1999 (iMac) keyboard isn't working so well, so I was looking for a new keyboard to use with My PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth). But I searched in Apple's store and, worse than the fact the keyboards are extremely expensive when compared with other brand's keyboards, it seems that the (wired) keyboard Apple is selling works only with 10.6.8 as a minimum requirement!

That makes it impossible to use with G4.

Any ideas? Are there any new keyboards that can be used with 10.5.8?

Thanks

burnout8488
Sep 12, 2011, 06:17 PM
The Apple aluminum wired keyboard works with 10.5.8 just fine, there is a software update so the function keys work properly. I use it on my G5 Quad. As long as you're running leopard there shouldn't be a problem.

If you want a more generational-specific keyboard to your iMac, search for the "Apple Pro Keyboard" on eBay.

Nova77
Sep 13, 2011, 11:11 AM
Apple is funny with peripherals min requirements. I bought the full lenght white keyboard (newest model) last year, it said I could not use it under tiger, and guess what?... It works even under mac OS 9. A keyboard is a keyboard, this makes no sense to put min req like that, unless you really really want to be 100% sure those special shortcut keys nobody really need will work... lol

SmurfBoxMasta
Sep 13, 2011, 05:00 PM
I bought the 1st Aluminum wired keyboard shortly after it came out, and it worked on my G3 smurfbox running OS 9....and am still using it with my Quicksilver & 10.5.8 :)

Most USB kb's (and mice) work with OS X nowadays, especially MS & logitech ones

wingrove
Oct 16, 2011, 03:34 AM
The Apple aluminum wired keyboard works with 10.5.8 just fine, there is a software update so the function keys work properly. I use it on my G5 Quad. As long as you're running leopard there shouldn't be a problem.

If you want a more generational-specific keyboard to your iMac, search for the "Apple Pro Keyboard" on eBay.
----------
I have a G5 Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC Mac running OSX 10.5.8 - I note that the iPad 2 is compatible with this - I am in need of a new keyboard for my G5 and I am considering purchasing an iPad 2 as an eBook reader. I note that all the latest Apple keyboards state minimum requirements as OSX 10.6.8 including a new one with a docking stand for the iPad - was this stated for your new Aluminium keyboard in May?

SmurfBoxMasta
Oct 16, 2011, 08:27 AM
Well, since I am retiring my G4, I have one of the original Apple Aluminum wired/USB Keyboards for sale that I have used with ALL versions of OS X, up to 10.5.8.

see my marketplace thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1241311

zen.state
Oct 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
Yes the OS requirement really just means that you need that OS for every single key to function properly. I use one of the aluminum keyboards myself and love it. I get access to all the keys as I run 10.5.8.

MacHamster68
Oct 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
the Apple USB aluminium keyboards work with any computer that has a usb port,
the 10.6.8 minimum requirement on the USB Keyboards is a marketing trick
to convince you to buy a Mac now if yours cant run OSX Snow leopard ;)
The alu keyboard works well on my PC's running windows7 and linux distro's and on my iMac G3's , eMac's , PowerMac's running OSX Tiger

garycurtis
Oct 16, 2011, 12:02 PM
Running a G-4 Sawtooth, OS 10.5.8. 2 years ago I bought the $100, Apple Pro keyboard. Clear plastic over white base. The Get Info command tells me the KB version is 4.2, whatever that means.

All function keys work as expected. Buy one of eBay if the stores no longer stock them.

MacHamster68
Oct 16, 2011, 04:11 PM
Running a G-4 Sawtooth, OS 10.5.8. 2 years ago I bought the $100, Apple Pro keyboard. Clear plastic over white base. The Get Info command tells me the KB version is 4.2, whatever that means.

All function keys work as expected. Buy one of eBay if the stores no longer stock them.

the older Apple keyboards are favoured by me too
http://holy-father.com/ebay/Apple_Mac/1_Appl_KeyBoard_1.jpg
not only because of their clean white look , no i actually find they are better suited for writing then the modern aluminium ones , but that's personal preference