PDA

View Full Version : OS 9 Install Disc

OldTimey
Sep 19, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi, is there somewhere other than eBay where I can find a System 9 install disc? I have a Rev B iMac that I'd like to refurbish and run OS9 on. I don't know the old user's password, and need a disc to reinstall the OS.

cocacolakid
Sep 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
They have several versions of OS9 you can download free. It's all considered abandonware and it's legal.

maflynn
Sep 19, 2011, 01:48 PM
Abandonware is not legal. Apple has released up to system 7 to the public domain and you can download that free from apple. Anything else is piracy, it does not matter that apple is not actively selling the product.

edit:
Apple still holds the copyright to OS9 and they are not releasing that OS yet, downloading from somewhere without their permission is still piracy.

OldTimey
Sep 19, 2011, 01:59 PM
thanks - i'm not looking to download the software. I need a system 9 install disc in order to reset the password on this machine and give it an overhaul. It's such a pretty little bugger, and would like to use it for my mp3 collection.

Any idea where i can find one for less than the 25$ they go for on ebay?

Marcush1286
Sep 19, 2011, 11:07 PM
Try calling Apple for extra copies of OS 9.

Nermal
Sep 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
Abandonware is not legal. Apple has released up to system 7 to the public domain and you can download that free from apple. Anything else is piracy, it does not matter that apple is not actively selling the product.

I believe that it's legal to download the specific restore CD image that came with the machine because a non-transferrable OEM licence was included as part of the hardware purchase.

However, in this case, I'm pretty sure that OS 9 is newer than the hardware and is therefore not legal to download.

chrismacguy
Sep 23, 2011, 07:34 AM
I believe that it's legal to download the specific restore CD image that came with the machine because a non-transferrable OEM licence was included as part of the hardware purchase.

However, in this case, I'm pretty sure that OS 9 is newer than the hardware and is therefore not legal to download.

That is correct. For this machine the only software you could legally obtain is a copy of the Mac OS 8.5.1/8.6 restore CDs.

reddrag0n
Sep 26, 2011, 04:43 AM
OldTimey, sent you a PM

mrsir2009
Sep 26, 2011, 12:39 PM
The fact that Apple is still holding on to OS8 and OS9 is silly. The classic mac OS hasn't been sold by Apple for nine years...

aggri1
Sep 27, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I've been looking for an OS9 install disk too, except that I need a very specific one: for the 2003 MDD G4 (single 1.25GHz G4). That's the last Mac that can run Classic natively.

I've not yet found a system which will allow installation on that machine. It always says needs a newer version or whatever. This was a special machine released late for those that needed native Classic, I understand.

A copy of the System Folder from my older Yikes G4 starts up, but I have never managed to get sound working in native Mac OS 9 on the 2003 MDD. (Sound does work fine in Mac OS X and in Classic applications within Mac OS X). No sound output hardware is available in the sound control panel. That's a shame because I would like to use this to play a few old games every now and then (they run crap under Classic mode in Mac OS X).

Any ideas? Maybe a Sound Manager INIT or something for that specific model...

Good luck with your search OldTimey.

Cheers,
A.

tom vilsack
Sep 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
someones not checking there inbox...

aggril1: ya you need os 9.2.2 specific for mdd...ebay/craigs?