PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ONLY use a PowerPC Mac?

iJasonTATE
Sep 20, 2011, 06:36 PM
Does anyone use a PowerPC Mac as there only Mac? If so post the Mac below. I do. I'm a student and a Python programmer so I did not see the point in getting an Intel. I also have a "decent" PC. My Mac is in my sig.

Hrududu
Sep 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
almost, but no. I would say more than 90% of my computer use is on PowerPC but not all of it. Most everything I do is on a dual 2.0 G5, 1.5GHz PowerBook 12" and the G4 cube.

Nameci
Sep 20, 2011, 07:31 PM
See my sig. Intel Macbook is stashed under the bed. Been keeping it for somebody.

ilovemyibook
Sep 20, 2011, 07:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I only have PowerPC Mac's. My 450mhZ G4 Cube is my main computer, but my 700mhZ eMac and my 400mhZ Power Mac still get attention. Although I do have a crappy Dell laptop that I use for things that my aging Mac's can't do.

eyoungren
Sep 20, 2011, 07:55 PM
I don't own any Intel Macs. Two 17" Powerbooks and my wife has a 12" Powerbook. My son has an iBook G3 Dual USB.

Nova77
Sep 20, 2011, 08:15 PM
I don't own any intel macs either. My desktop is lightning fast for most things I do, and it allows me to play my beloved OS 9 games natively. Plus, it looks really cool. My laptop is a Mighty War Laptop Beast. This this is still kicking where any laptop would have died (physical damage, tea in keyboard, etc). My two macs are in my sig.

iJasonTATE
Sep 20, 2011, 08:43 PM
Cool guys! I have all the graphical enhancements, dashboard, and spotlight search off and am using a solid black wallpaper to reduce strain on the graphics card on my iMac G4 and it makes a world of difference!

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I only have PowerPC Mac's. My 450mhZ G4 Cube is my main computer, but my 700mhZ eMac and my 400mhZ Power Mac still get attention. Although I do have a crappy Dell laptop that I use for things that my aging Mac's can't do.

Very cool!

Long live PowerPC!

eyoungren
Sep 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
I work for a small weekly newspaper. My work Mac is a G5 1.8Ghz with 4GB of ram and a 500GB hard drive., running Leopard. It's on 24/7 (we leave the computers up). Since I've had it my boss has replaced two sets of monitors (I use dual monitors). It's been running since early 2005 and I use it daily to do ads, and compose the pages of our papers. It's got the latest versions of design software before Adobe and Quark abandoned PPC.

My coworker has the same set of apps as I do and her Mac works even harder to do the same job. That's because she's using a G4/450 with 1GB of ram. That machine was there when I was hired 7.5 years ago.

So, two PPC Macs in a production environment still producing.

iJasonTATE
Sep 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
I work for a small weekly newspaper. My work Mac is a G5 1.8Ghz with 4GB of ram and a 500GB hard drive., running Leopard. It's on 24/7 (we leave the computers up). Since I've had it my boss has replaced two sets of monitors (I use dual monitors). It's been running since early 2005 and I use it daily to do ads, and compose the pages of our papers. It's got the latest versions of design software before Adobe and Quark abandoned PPC.

My coworker has the same set of apps as I do and her Mac works even harder to do the same job. That's because she's using a G4/450 with 1GB of ram. That machine was there when I was hired 7.5 years ago.

Very cool!!!!

reddrag0n
Sep 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
Got a DP 2.5 GHz G5 as my main machine, an MDD i don't know what to do with, an iMac G3 for OS 9 apps and games, and a blown iMac G4 (first edition) that i am going to convert into the OS 9 machine once i get the logicboard/graphics replaced and then decomission the iMac G3.

Other than that, i have a Dell laptop for my StarCraft 2 and Steam apps gaming.

zen.state
Sep 21, 2011, 07:10 AM
From June 2009 to May 2011 I used PowerPC only on my G4 1.8GHz till I was given my MacBook C2D. Now I use the G4 and MacBook in combination.

Specs of my G4 tower are in my sig.

Cox Orange
Sep 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
PPC only, but I'll maybe buy an Intel iMac with lowest sepcs in the future somewhen, if I see the very need for it.

ghett0tech
Sep 21, 2011, 10:51 AM
i use my PowerPc as my main computer.

g5 dual 2.0 6GB RAM two 500GB HDD

only thing it lacks is video rendering/youtube/streaming pandora

joepunk
Sep 21, 2011, 12:09 PM
I use my PowerBook g4 in sig all the time. Sometimes I start up my old g3 iMac for the occasional classic game. I have to admit that really soon I am going to have to get an intel Mac to use lightroom or aperture for my concert photography gigs. I have been using photoshop cs on my g4 and it is annoying now to have to open, work on, and close each file one at a time.

ecschwarz
Sep 21, 2011, 04:41 PM
My main computer is a MacBook Pro, and does just about everything for me, but for certain tasks when I need a capable, fast machine and don't need the latest software get handed off to a Power Mac G5. I also picked one up for my dad for basic Web/email/iTunes use and he's pretty happy with it (going to probably get an iPad to work with it eventually). Both machines have identical specs:

PowerPC G5 2.7GHz x2
3GB RAM (I may add another to mine from RAM I have lying around)
250GB SATA hard drive
SuperDrive of some sort

I've added Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to mine from a donor Mac mini of that same era. We got these machines dirt cheap from a place that was wanting to run Adobe CS5 (Intel-only), and they have been pretty solid so far (despite the numerous reports of liquid cooling issues).

If I had a choice, I'd probably go for a later G5 without the liquid cooling system, but they are plenty fast and expandable if you stick with software from that era.

adcx64
Sep 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
All of my Macs are PowerPC. They're from a time when Apple made computers with they're own personalities, not just PCs running OS X.

Nameci
Sep 21, 2011, 06:44 PM
I agree with you... that is why I am more biased on the PPC architecture, they are "different"... I am different than others...

Badrottie
Sep 21, 2011, 11:18 PM
I know I am NOT welcome here because I just sold my Powerbook G4 today via eBay. I really like PowerBook very much (I had it for 5 months) but it does not have what I need so end up getting a MacBook Pro last week...I am happy now.

jodelli
Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 PM
The only Mac I'm using is a PPC 1.67ghz G4 PB. I have a dual core Intel box running Linux as well. You'd have to look closely at the dock to realize it's not a Mac.

Marcush1286
Sep 22, 2011, 12:00 AM
Dude, Thats ok.. you have to do what you have to do to keep organized. If the PB G4 was not meant to last you longer than you had it, then so be it. For my uses, my PB G4 is great and although I have a 6-core mac pro, I still use my G5 Quad as not only a file server, but also as my everyday computer for all my everyday computing needs. I do have a Gateway P-7808u FX gaming laptop with Snow Leopard and Lion installed, so that is my macbook pro right there, even though its a PC running OS X, OF WHICH I BOUGHT.

What G4 Powerbook did you have? Was it the dual layer model? Those models are still highly sought due to the fact they were the last G4 Powerbooks ever made. Here is my list of macs I currently use and sometimes don't use:

Use is in order from Greatest use to least use:

Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 w/8GB of memory, using the 7800GTX video card
Power Book G4 1.67 w/2GB DDR2 memory, using 128MB video
Power Book G4 Pismo 550 for all my Mac OS 9 work and or just play
Mac Pro 2010 6-core 3.33ghz - Haven't decided on what to use this for. Own for enthusiast reasons
Gateway P-7808u FX - experiment by running Mac OS X on it and it works great thanks given to TonyMacOSX86.

I know I am NOT welcome here because I just sold my Powerbook G4 today via eBay. I really like PowerBook very much (I had it for 5 months) but it does not have what I need so end up getting a MacBook Pro last week...I am happy now.

----------

Hey, I am also running a PB G4 1.67 Dual layer as well. Also use my Gateway P-7808u FX for Mac OS X as well. Snow Leopard and Lion work nice and fast on this core 2 duo based laptop. And if I wanted to I could take out the P8600 2.4Ghz processor and go all the way up to a QX9300 quad core - enough computing power to last me a long time. I don't use thunderbolt related stuff, so therefore it is of no use to me.

The only Mac I'm using is a PPC 1.67ghz G4 PB. I have a dual core Intel box running Linux as well. You'd have to look closely at the dock to realize it's not a Mac.

Theophany
Sep 22, 2011, 11:31 AM
The only computer I own right now is my G4 400Mhz Titanium Powerbook. I could list a hundred things I hate about it from the deformed titanium shell and gutless G4 processor to the fact that PPC software is increasingly difficult to get hold of and that attempting to run Leopard would push me to suicide. (Tiger is a bit too sluggish for my liking, but I'm loathed shed yet more features and revert to Puma/Jaguar/etc).

But the original hinges haven't broken, there is not one single dead pixel, it's a freaking dream to work on and with (thanks to the easily removable keyboard, which is also great for extended periods of typing) and most importantly, 10 years on, every single component still works exactly as it should. Cheap replacement battery and hey presto! 4 hours battery life on a full charge.

For all the frustrations and irritations that come with a senile Mac, for all the hair loss from tearing it out at the seventh beach ball from opening a second Pages document and for all the moments where I've been semi-tempted to check it in to my own version of the Dignitas Clinic, complete with sledgehammer and vitriolic bedside manner, I love it. It's like every Italian car I have ever owned; it will drive you mad most of the time when it isn't doing what you want it to either fast enough or at all. But for those few times when the moon and the stars align and the Earth's axis is on just the right tilt you forget all that crap and your eyes glimmer in the realisation of just how brilliant your trusty old Macintosh really is.

And you know what? Even though the amount of PPC software out there is slowly drying up in much the same way as DOS-based software did with Windows XP; I still have Notepad Deluxe. Ha!! :p

Recycle my old computers? Sod that, I'll save the environment by not chucking out perfectly good computers!! ;)

mr.steevo
Sep 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
Our computer is our 1Ghz iBook. The screen connection went on it 18 months ago so we have an external monitor attached to it. I use it for banking, email, music and posting threads.

Problem is that we use our 2nd Gen iPod Touch more than the iBook as it is faster with web browsing and youtube videos.

s.

eyoungren
Sep 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
The only computer I own right now is my G4 400Mhz Titanium Powerbook. I could list a hundred things I hate about it from the deformed titanium shell and gutless G4 processor to the fact that PPC software is increasingly difficult to get hold of and that attempting to run Leopard would push me to suicide. (Tiger is a bit too sluggish for my liking, but I'm loathed shed yet more features and revert to Puma/Jaguar/etc).

But the original hinges haven't broken, there is not one single dead pixel, it's a freaking dream to work on and with (thanks to the easily removable keyboard, which is also great for extended periods of typing) and most importantly, 10 years on, every single component still works exactly as it should. Cheap replacement battery and hey presto! 4 hours battery life on a full charge.

For all the frustrations and irritations that come with a senile Mac, for all the hair loss from tearing it out at the seventh beach ball from opening a second Pages document and for all the moments where I've been semi-tempted to check it in to my own version of the Dignitas Clinic, complete with sledgehammer and vitriolic bedside manner, I love it. It's like every Italian car I have ever owned; it will drive you mad most of the time when it isn't doing what you want it to either fast enough or at all. But for those few times when the moon and the stars align and the Earth's axis is on just the right tilt you forget all that crap and your eyes glimmer in the realisation of just how brilliant your trusty old Macintosh really is.

And you know what? Even though the amount of PPC software out there is slowly drying up in much the same way as DOS-based software did with Windows XP; I still have Notepad Deluxe. Ha!! :p

Recycle my old computers? Sod that, I'll save the environment by not chucking out perfectly good computers!! ;)

I have that model. It has since died with it's second logic board, although that was because my daughter sent it flying off the couch. It has a cracking case, but the hinges are still good. Paint flaking, but LCD is fine. Ran Leopard on it for a while. I've had it since 2002. There was a period of time from July 2004 to February 2005 that it was a production machine at the paper I work for. External monitor attached for dual screens, keyboard and mouse. It was handling ad design running XPress 6.5, Photoshop 7, Acrobat 6 and Illustrator 10 with no problems. Sorry to see it go, but with two other PBs that replaced it I'm not interested in installing a third logic board.

Theophany
Sep 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
I have that model. It has since died with it's second logic board, although that was because my daughter sent it flying off the couch. It has a cracking case, but the hinges are still good. Paint flaking, but LCD is fine. Ran Leopard on it for a while. I've had it since 2002. There was a period of time from July 2004 to February 2005 that it was a production machine at the paper I work for. External monitor attached for dual screens, keyboard and mouse. It was handling ad design running XPress 6.5, Photoshop 7, Acrobat 6 and Illustrator 10 with no problems. Sorry to see it go, but with two other PBs that replaced it I'm not interested in installing a third logic board.

That's unlucky man and is the fault I've always dreaded with any Mac I've owned. Still, if the logic board on this one goes that's fine with me. The equivalent PC from 10 years ago wouldn't be able to run the firmware on my washing machine, so at least my TiBook has lasted :)

MacSince1990
Sep 22, 2011, 02:46 PM
Does anyone use a PowerPC Mac as there only Mac? If so post the Mac below. I do. I'm a student and a Python programmer so I did not see the point in getting an Intel. I also have a "decent" PC. My Mac is in my sig.

yup. Typing on a Beige G3/300 w/1 GHz Sonnet G4 upgrade etc... basically 100% maxed out, in sig.

I need to repair my Quad G5 before I can really use it... LCS problems.

I'll be getting a new 15 or 17" MBP within the next year, though, after Ivy Bridge models come out... my Lenovo died (worthless, worthless brand... never again..) so I'm out of a laptop.

vitzr
Sep 22, 2011, 03:02 PM
I upgrade to a new fully loaded 15" MacBook Pro at each refresh cycle, mainly for two reasons.

1) My engineering work demands a lot of resources, and I also benefit from the portability of a laptop.

2) I really enjoy getting a new Mac Laptop frequently.

That said one of my all time favorites, by a wide margin is my Titanium 2002 G4 PowerBook.

The first PowerBook to have a 1GHz processor, 1GB of ram and a SuperDrive. It was the last of the series right before the release of the Aluminum PowerBooks at MacWorld 2003. It's still with me, and I use it regularly for writing. Because I am very careful with my equipment it looks like new and I've never had any problem with the lid hinges, since I open and close it with care.

Amazingly, it's never had a single thing fail. I've replaced more batteries than I can remember which is to be expected. Otherwise it's simply stellar. In my opinion Apple really blew it when they abandoned the very popular model name "PowerBook".

eyoungren
Sep 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
That's unlucky man and is the fault I've always dreaded with any Mac I've owned. Still, if the logic board on this one goes that's fine with me. The equivalent PC from 10 years ago wouldn't be able to run the firmware on my washing machine, so at least my TiBook has lasted :)

I agree with you. I have asked my boss more than once. Just how many PCs in the building from 1999 and 2005 are still working? And have what is now considered to be standard ports? I'm still waiting for an answer.

My old TiBook gave out in October of 2009. It was a January 2001 model so it lasted 8 years. After replacing the logic board it lasted another year and a half before falling victim to my daughter.

Right now though, the main machine I use is my 1Ghz 17" PB. I bought it and my other 17" off eBay "broken" for less than $500 together. I was told that the 1Ghz model was on it's last legs. It's been two years, a LVDS cable, DC Inverter board and screen replacement later and it's still going (depsite suffering from a failed external cache). I think it was telling that the seller never left me feedback.

Performa636CD
Sep 22, 2011, 07:29 PM
I use my 12" PB for checking e-mail, logging onto secure sites, and browsing message boards, basically. It's over 7 years old and so messed up. Maybe it's not just hardware as I've been running Tiger since 2005 without a reinstall or any sort of OS maintenance. If i want to play any games online, watch youtube, etc. I get on my PC. I will be getting a new MBP in a few months or when my PB breaks...whichever is soonest!

Dane D.
Sep 22, 2011, 07:52 PM
I still have a 8600/200 running in my office just to talk to the Fiery Rip Station that runs our ESPON Stylus Pro 24" printer. It used to communicate with a 13x19 ESPON, but that died. It runs OS 8.1, has 3 HDS (SCSI based) and 160MB RAM.

I still use my home unit B/W G3-see sig for OS 9 apps: UT GOTY, Links Pro, Links 2000, Photoshop 5.5 and 7, Alan's Euchre 1.1.1, ClarisWorks 2.1, Diamonds 3D, Movod II, Painter Classic, QuarkXPress 4.1, Adobe InDesign 1.5.

It also runs OS 10.4.6 for my everyday stuff: Thunderbird, multiple browsers, Photoshop, Illustrator, Audacity, and many other apps too long to list.

I always thought the PowerPC was superior till the Intel/AMD chips hit the 3Ghz mark. But I also like the fact that PPC chips use less energy and in my experience, never fail.

ghett0tech
Sep 22, 2011, 07:55 PM
i'm posting from my g5/20' cinema display right now.

go powerpc's!!! :apple:

chrismacguy
Sep 23, 2011, 07:21 AM
I *would* still use entirely PowerPC based Macs if I didn't require a lot of RAM and CPU capacity. (Lots of VMs and a few development tools that are x86 only) - I've tried to do exactly what I do on my Mac Pro on a Quad G5, and it sadly couldn't keep up, so I spend most of my time on Intel Macs these days. I do however own and still use daily a lot more PowerPC Macs than I own Intel ones. (Everything from my Dual 867 MDD running as an iTunes machine to my 8100/100 which sits in the corner quietly sharing files with all my other PowerPC and 68K Macs.) One day, I think I might try and do all the stuff I get done on my modern Macs on Macs from the Beginning of the PowerPC Era. Then Ill be all PowerPC for as long as I can manage (Im thinking 8100/100, 6100/66 and a PowerBook 5300).

PS. I posted this using my 8200/120 running OS 9.1. This thing is rock-solid.

UlsterApple
Sep 23, 2011, 12:05 PM
I have just - as of two weeks ago - upgraded to a G5. I still use my Quicksilver G4 and 19" studio display for a lot of things, and to be honest only upgraded as the G5 was cheap on eBay.

eyoungren
Sep 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
I have one PPC Mac at work (I own it). It's a 7300/200 with 48MB ram and a 4GB hard drive. I'm using it as an Applescript server. I have DAVE 6 installed on it so it's able to use the Windows network we have here. It does a lot of heavy lifting including processing photos and moving files. I got OS9.2.2 on it as well. That's not supported (I think it's 9.0 max), but I used one of those OS assistants (I forget which one) to get 9.2.2 on there.

Also have a 6500 at home.

mrsir2009
Sep 23, 2011, 03:15 PM
I don't only use PPC, but I've got a few pre-intels, one of which I use everyday: iBook G3, iMac G3 and Mac Classic.

mabaker
Sep 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
If my PowerMac G5 wouldn't have died so early I still would be using it today. It was blazing fast for what it did. Now I am typing it from a PB 12" which is another gem in apple's lineup.

Paulywauly
Sep 24, 2011, 04:35 AM
Gotta admire the people who only use PowerPC, talk about getting full use of an old computer! They're a lightyear away from the annoying "Just bought a new MBA 6 months ago but now its been refreshed, do i need a new one?" threads.

Did think of doing it a while back (selling my new iMac and going back to PowerPC) but there was certain software i needed that was Intel only which was a shame :(

I still have an iMac G4 which acts as a kitchen hifi and an iBook Clamshell which i play with every now and again.

mabaker
Sep 24, 2011, 05:19 AM
Gotta admire the people who only use PowerPC, talk about getting full use of an old computer! They're a lightyear away from the annoying "Just bought a new MBA 6 months ago but now its been refreshed, do i need a new one?" threads.

I think there's nothing wrong with moderate consumerism. But it's just that: It has to be moderate.

UlsterApple
Sep 24, 2011, 07:21 AM
Gotta admire the people who only use PowerPC

NOT however when we're trying to get advice and help, as many of the 'gurus' have long moved on and so we largely get ignored.

Nameci
Sep 24, 2011, 07:35 AM
They have not moved on, they would simply ignore if the answers can be found by searching in google.

UlsterApple
Sep 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
Ahhhh.... and there I was thinking I'd support an Apple forum by asking questons on here.
Silly me!!
Google here I come. Do THEY have gods who slap beginners down too?

adcx64
Sep 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
Ahhhh.... and there I was thinking I'd support an Apple forum by asking questons on here.
Silly me!!

It's not our jobs to answer your questions, we do it to help others and discuss PPC Macs, if someone asks a question that can be quickly answered by google, we are not going to answer it and waste our time.

Now, let's get this thread back on track.

MacinDan
Sep 24, 2011, 03:17 PM

No. They just redirect you to Bing.

Clint007
Sep 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
Many programs were made to work with Mac Power PC and Intel.
Thanks to Rosetta.

But not on new models with Lion, Rosetta: gone. :mad:

Rosetta: "It enabled applications compiled for the PowerPC family of processors to run on Apple systems that use Intel processors. Rosetta was based on Transitive Corporation's QuickTransit technology,[1] and was a key part of Apple's strategy for the transition of their Macintosh line from PowerPC to Intel processors as it enables pre-existing Mac OS X software to run on the new platform without modification."

"Rosetta was part of Mac OS X for Intel operating systems prior to Lion. It translated G3, G4, and AltiVec instructions; however, it did not translate G5 instructions. Therefore, applications that rely on G5-specific instruction sets must be modified by their developers to work on Intel-based Macs. According to Apple, applications with heavy user interaction but low computational needs (such as word processors) are well suited to translation via Rosetta, while applications with high computational needs (such as raytracers or Adobe Photoshop) are not.[5] Pre-existing PowerPC versions of Apple "Pro" media-production applications (such as Final Cut Pro, Motion, Aperture and Logic Pro) are not supported by Rosetta, and require a "crossgrade" to a universal binary version to work on Intel-based Macs."
Source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_%28software%29

In other word, before to dump program to put a new one, you better made an important check if it work on your Power PC.
Example: Microsoft Word 2004 (a PowerPC application) running through Rosetta on OS X Tiger for Intel.

Yes I will keep my old faithfull iBook G4, but I'll buy next week an iMac 21 1/2"

I like Google earth but not for Power PC anymore. :mad:

My iBook I will used it for travel. (for internet it is perfect) It will be me iBookpad. :D

DSPalpatine
Sep 29, 2011, 08:40 AM
We have a G5 iMac (in my sig) that sits in our den as the family computer. My wife uses it about 95% of the time (I only go on it to do updates and run Time Machine backups). It's her main computer, and serves her needs just fine- email, web, photos, music, etc, etc, etc. Office 2008 still gets updates, Camino seems to be a pretty decent browser for PPC, and Photoshop Elements 6/iPhoto 09 are plenty powerful enough for her uses. We talked about replacing it, but at least for now, that's money that can be better spent elsewhere.

As an aside, speaking of the PowerPC forums, I'm glad that the 'Mini-Trolls' seem to have quieted down. You know the ones to which I refer- you ask a PowerPC specific question, and the invariable response is, "ZOMG.... ur such a l0ser! Get a MINI!!!... nom nom nom..."

As Indiana Jones says: "I hate those guys."

Fortunately, they seem to be around a lot less. Maybe they got bored and found a new forum to troll.

Nameci
Sep 29, 2011, 09:02 AM
These days I am contemplating on buying one of Apple Intel offerings, but i cannot justify it since I have my powerpc Macs still running strong without a hiccup. Just recently bought a 21" Dell monitor with built in webcam that works great with my G5 powermac for cheap (can you imagine, it is like new in box with all the plastic wrap on it).

I don't play Angry Birds, so there is no use for App Store for me. My CAD software is still running ok and does the job as if it is a new computer.

In my view if not for my CAD software I am better off with my Powerbook G4.

K00LJerk
Sep 29, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

12 inch PB 867ghz and a 6500 performa that never gets used. Yay! For HTML5 now I gotta find a browser

Marcush1286
Sep 29, 2011, 05:03 PM
I have a feeling unlike the 68k series based macs, PowerPC macs are going to last a long long time to come as being still useful for everyday stuff. I myself have a G5 Quad, PowerBook G4 and PowerBook G4 Pismo that I use everyday for my basics, along with a 2010 6-core mac pro which is my only intel mac and so far I do more with my G5 than my 6-core mac pro as I haven't decided as of yet what to use my Mac Pro for.

The PowerPC machines are still fine machines.. any upper level G4 will still do everyday tasks along with the G5 Dual cores and Quads.. All fine machines.

We have a G5 iMac (in my sig) that sits in our den as the family computer. My wife uses it about 95% of the time (I only go on it to do updates and run Time Machine backups). It's her main computer, and serves her needs just fine- email, web, photos, music, etc, etc, etc. Office 2008 still gets updates, Camino seems to be a pretty decent browser for PPC, and Photoshop Elements 6/iPhoto 09 are plenty powerful enough for her uses. We talked about replacing it, but at least for now, that's money that can be better spent elsewhere.

As an aside, speaking of the PowerPC forums, I'm glad that the 'Mini-Trolls' seem to have quieted down. You know the ones to which I refer- you ask a PowerPC specific question, and the invariable response is, "ZOMG.... ur such a l0ser! Get a MINI!!!... nom nom nom..."

As Indiana Jones says: "I hate those guys."

Fortunately, they seem to be around a lot less. Maybe they got bored and found a new forum to troll.

frank.deale
Sep 29, 2011, 09:50 PM
My Powerbook G4 is my traveling computer. I like its relaxed pace.

chrismacguy
Sep 30, 2011, 03:46 AM
I have a feeling unlike the 68k series based macs, PowerPC macs are going to last a long long time to come as being still useful for everyday stuff. I myself have a G5 Quad, PowerBook G4 and PowerBook G4 Pismo that I use everyday for my basics, along with a 2010 6-core mac pro which is my only intel mac and so far I do more with my G5 than my 6-core mac pro as I haven't decided as of yet what to use my Mac Pro for.

The PowerPC machines are still fine machines.. any upper level G4 will still do everyday tasks along with the G5 Dual cores and Quads.. All fine machines.

How exactly have the 68k Macs not lasted a long time? I still know of a few people chugging along with the 68040 equipped Quadras. (Generally with upgraded RAM, Mac OS 8.1, ClarisWorks and older Printers). If all they want to do is type up letters and do their home accounts, for a few a Quadra is enough, and they work just fine. I'd say thats pretty impressive for machines that in some cases were manufactured in 1991. Sure they may be few and far between, but some people haven't yet given up on 68k, and for what they want to do, its all the computer they need. Some people just don't need the internet, and for them even 68k machines are viable computers.

geta
Oct 2, 2011, 04:45 PM
till this weekend my G5 (DP 2.7GHz , 6GB, osx 10.4.11) was my main studio machine...
but unfortunately he died this weekend... still haven't given up on him...

you can check my other thread about my problem -http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1236953

MacSince1990
Oct 2, 2011, 06:53 PM
In my opinion Apple really blew it when they abandoned the very popular model name "PowerBook".

Well, it would have been difficult to call a machine with an Intel CPU a PowerAnything, given that Power stood for PowerPC.

chrismacguy
Oct 3, 2011, 02:01 AM
Well, it would have been difficult to call a machine with an Intel CPU a PowerAnything, given that Power stood for PowerPC.

No it didn't. Or at least, it didn't with the PowerBooks. The first several generations of PowerBooks were based around the 68K Microprocessor, and came out 3 years before Apple Switched to PowerPC at all. (The PowerBook 100 Series and PowerBook 500 Series were both based on the 68K). In fact it wasn't until the PowerBook 5300 that there was a PowerBook with a PowerPC CPU inside at all (excluding the PPC Upgrade kit for the PB500s, which I think came out later anyway).

garycurtis
Oct 6, 2011, 12:00 PM
Doing well with my $100 G4 Sawtooth. With Sonnet 1.6 Ghz CPU, three HDs and 2Gb of Ram. OS 10.5 I thought the end was coming when Firefox and, particularly, Flash, were proving incapable. Websites wouldn't load.

On a whim, I activated Safari, and everything is better than ever. Probably will inherit an iMac i5 from a friend later this year. Being retired, my computer needs are modest.

vohdoun
Oct 7, 2011, 12:20 AM

Have you ditched Flash player yet on your G5 Quad?

Imixmuan
Oct 8, 2011, 12:15 PM
you should try tenfourfox 7, it is blinding, hellaciously fast. Flash however is not supported by default, you can enable it easily following instructions on the tenfourfox site, but Flash is a security risk of the first order on PPC macs, best avoided if you can.

Omniweb is a far better webkit browser than Safari, less bloated, pages load quickly. You could install flash and use that for your flash fix, if you are willing to take the security risk.

Mactubes or Youview for youtube. Search forum for other methods to play HD video on your Sawtooth. PPC luddite has an even slower Sawtooth (500mhz) and he's got lots of ideas for keeping it mo-dern. Google for his blog.

and you can sell me your G4 Sawtooth when you get that iMac i5 (nice), I will put LinuxMintPPC 11 on it, and be set for like the next three years. :D

philipt42
Oct 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
I use only my G5 Power Mac, and it's getting pretty slow. Both Opera (my primary browser) and Firefox (my second choice) have stopped supporting PPC. I still use an old version of Opera, as well as "Stainless," a chrome port.

----------

24/7 since 2005 is VERY impressive!

eyoungren
Oct 8, 2011, 03:25 PM
24/7 since 2005 is VERY impressive!

Yeah, it's never failed me. It kept producing even when I had an error in the B Tree directory of the hard disk that DiskWarrior couldn't fix.

I have shut it down once or twice over a three day holiday weekend, but the last time I did that I also shut off the monitors. I came back and now one of the monitors has a lighter background. So, I don't shut it off now at all (especially the monitors).

Pretty good I think. 6 years and counting running at full power with sleep turned off completely.

Nameci
Oct 8, 2011, 06:04 PM
That is the kind of machines apple left behind.

zen.state
Oct 8, 2011, 09:50 PM
As of today I am 100% PowerPC hardware again!

My girlfriend was in very bad need of a new laptop so I gave her my C2D MacBook. I was given it by a client/friend about 5 months ago and never seemed to use it past 20-30% CPU use be honest. I guess after over a decade of using PowerPC I was cultured to have a low overhead on the system while computing. My girlfriend is a typical Mac user that just want's to get things done and needs more power for lack of computing finesse.

So now it's just me and my 1.8GHz G4 Sawtooth again. When I need to in the future I can start using one of my 2x spare Sawtooth's for extra computing power as one has a G4 1.0GHz 7455B upgrade.

Long live the G4!

vohdoun
Oct 9, 2011, 12:30 AM
you should try tenfourfox 7, it is blinding, hellaciously fast. Flash however is not supported by default, you can enable it easily following instructions on the tenfourfox site, but Flash is a security risk of the first order on PPC macs, best avoided if you can.

The thing I detest about Firefox, or rather Firefox under a new name, TenFourFox, no HTML5 player like ClickToFlash extension in Safari. If it had that I'd switch. Maybe... I just prefer Safari so much on Mac I've been using it since 2005. Going to anything else feels dirty.

I suppose Safari 5.0.6 is the last ever version for PPC?

Nameci
Oct 9, 2011, 01:11 AM
I have been a safari fan, but when I have tried Camino I never went back to Safari. TenFourFox is a good alternative. If I am on Tiger I would definitely use TFF. TFF and Tiger is a good match.

----------

As of today I am 100% PowerPC hardware again!

My girlfriend was in very bad need of a new laptop so I gave her my C2D MacBook. I was given it by a client/friend about 5 months ago and never seemed to use it past 20-30% CPU use be honest. I guess after over a decade of using PowerPC I was cultured to have a low overhead on the system while computing. My girlfriend is a typical Mac user that just want's to get things done and needs more power for lack of computing finesse.

So now it's just me and my 1.8GHz G4 Sawtooth again. When I need to in the future I can start using one of my 2x spare Sawtooth's for extra computing power as one has a G4 1.0GHz 7455B upgrade.

Long live the G4!

Good to hear Zen.

I went to an Apple Store down when I was in Dallas last week, and thought about purchasing on the latest MBA 13" offering. But last minute I held off. The MBA is nice, but it doesn't feel like it is an apple machine. It is like a windows machine on an apple clothing.

My powerbook G4 feels more an authentic apple machine to me, it is way different.

Cox Orange
Oct 9, 2011, 12:53 PM
(...), but Flash is a security risk of the first order on PPC macs, best avoided if you can. (...)

Oh, interesting. What kind of is the risk, especially? What can happen?

seveej
Oct 9, 2011, 03:45 PM
Not so long ago my Macs were all PPC's (A PM G5, 2.3DP and a 1,5 Ghz 12" PB)
Simultaneously I had (for the obligatory Windows work) a Thinkpad T60p and a no-name workstation (A quad xeon box).

After a lot of wrangling, I decided four machines were a few too many, so first I tried emulation (Windows on PPC / MacOS on Intel hardware), to very little avail - the result was always either buggy, unstable or too slow.

In the end I had to bite the bullet - now I only have two machines, a MacBookAlu and a first gen 27" iMac (i7). Both running multiple windows's on Parallels. Although I'm pretty happy (at least there is space for my papers on my desk nowadays), I miss my G5 and the 12" PB was just sweet...

Honestly I'm considering to take the next step, a powerful 13" MBP/MBA and a 27" display. (Back when I did the transition 13" and power were not a possible combination). Just waiting for the necessary means.

Alas, I'm not entirely PPC-less; In my CPU collection (together with the various 40286's and 68K's) is an original IBM PowerPC 66 Mhz. Prob'ly never seen a Mac though, that poor sod.

macboy13
Oct 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
my dad uses a power mac g4 as his main machine he used to use his g4 quicksliver 867 mhz but the logic board failed so we got a g4 mdd dual 1.25 ghz fw 400 os 9 bootable

Mac OS Bobcat
Oct 12, 2011, 10:40 AM
Im still using the iMac in my sig as my main computer. Its still a decent computer even today although watching flash videos can be a pain sometimes. I still use it because I like the design. If there was a way to somehow incorporate an Intel processor, I'd (insert method of praise here).

vohdoun
Oct 12, 2011, 02:48 PM
Why does resetting the PMU more or less killing the PRAM battery? causing the power light to stay fully lit and unable to power up. I had to put in the original old battery for it to work and order a new one.

This battery is about 1.5 years old. It was fine until I reset the PMU, as it's the first it's been reset in over 5 years. Due to higher fan noise.

In future is it safe to reset the PMU after taking the battery out? as I can see this killing the battery everytime.

zen.state
Oct 12, 2011, 03:49 PM
Why does resetting the PMU more or less killing the PRAM battery? causing the power light to stay fully lit and unable to power up. I had to put in the original old battery for it to work and order a new one.

This battery is about 1.5 years old. It was fine until I reset the PMU, as it's the first it's been reset in over 5 years. Due to higher fan noise.

In future is it safe to reset the PMU after taking the battery out? as I can see this killing the battery everytime.

You must have pressed the reset button more than once which will not only crash the PMU but also drain the battery. For the MDD I recommend removing the battery for 5-10 min then put it back in and press the PMU ONCE. For all other G4 towers just press the button and leave the battery in.

vohdoun
Oct 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
You must have pressed the reset button more than once which will not only crash the PMU but also drain the battery. For the MDD I recommend removing the battery for 5-10 min then put it back in and press the PMU ONCE. For all other G4 towers just press the button and leave the battery in.

Aww come on now. I'm not a klutz. I read it all several times before even first doing this. I only pushed it once. I've built enough computers in my time to know what and what not do do when pushing a button, clearing CMOS, BIOS etc

Disconnected everything, cleaned the Mac out. Pushed the button once! Not a half push then push again. One firm push! You can feel it press/click. Put the fan assembly back in. This was more than 10 seconds later before putting the power cable back in and DVI cable. Hear the power supply click as usual when it gets power or click when unplugged. Solid white light above the power button after it.

I suppose the next hot sunny day I'll leave the battery in the sunlight for it to get some power...

SuperCompu2
Oct 13, 2011, 12:16 AM
My parents recently had a need for a beefier computer for more intensive email/document processing/browsing tasks. They had been using a 400MHz TiBook I had given them (which, incidentally is now with me), but I decided to give them my C2D MacBook Pro until a more permanent solution could be found.

This leaves me at Engineering school using an iMac G4 as my main machine. So far, I'm actually tickled by how responsive this thing is! Initially I brought it to school for a nice backup to have stationary in case my MBP happened to be in a case or bag, but now I'm actually using it productively for everything I was using my MBP for!

Sadly, the TiBook has proven a bit dated for what I'd like to use it for (I gave it a good try in the campus library, but the single-click ability really hinders productivity when using a remote server for MATLAB or the like), so I've resorted to my EEE Pad Transformer for portable use for now. I'm actually a huge fan of the EEE Pad so far, so it'll be interesting to see if my MBP ever actually ventures back to me.

But, I digress. My 1.25GHz iMac G4 is working splendidly for me, and if I can get around to repairing it, I may bring a 1.5GHz PowerBook back to life (flickering display issue) which is currently serving my living room as a media center through DVI. Thus, I am completely PPC right now. :)

Bloodstar
Oct 19, 2011, 01:35 AM
I was never completely PPC (I have a Linux-powered netbook and my Core 2 Duo Windows desktop), but most of my Macs are PPC.

Hell, the only reason I bought a new MacBook Pro is because I'm in need of a machine that can run Snow Leopard for college. (Got Lion, but that's fine) Not that I don't love the machine (because I do), but for most of my own needs my iBook gets me through everything well. My primary desktop was actually a MDD G4, too, for a while... switched back to my Windows desktop though recently due to power concerns and the fact that I'm able to dual-monitor with it.

No way I'm ditching any of my PPC machines - they're just too good machines with plenty of life left in them. I actually kind of want a G4 Mini to replace my P4 server, too... considering what I actually use the server for (ssh almost exclusively) I get the feeling it'd be more power-friendly.

I do some weird things with computer setups, sometimes.