Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrtaylor6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Tuscaloosa Al
I some how got a little bit of super glue on the bottom of my MBA. What would be the best way to get it off. Its going to bother me till I get off.

Thanks,

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Super Glue

Is damn hard stuff to remove from anything. It dries a White colour, so I can see why it's bugging you, but using anything to remove it is more likely to cause more damage to your MBA.

I hate to say it, but you may well have to live with it.

jrtaylor6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Tuscaloosa Al
Yeah, its on the alumnium part on the bottom. I actually thought about trying to use a little bit of goo gone to see if it could break it up, but was not going to over do it with the goo gone.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
When you say you have some on there, is it a blob or is it smeared?

Post a pic!

If its a blob, surely you can pick it off with some force. Bet if you to some hardware/DIY store or look on the internet, you could find some chemical to remove it

Queen6

macrumors G4
Acetone will break the SuperGlue bond, however I have no knowledge of what it may do to to the base aluminium. So use acetone sparingly and cautiously apply it sparingly with a Qtip.

Even though SuperGlue is incredibly strong, it has one weakness: acetone...

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
How about clear nail polish remover. That has acetone in it and you can use the tiny built-in brush to apply it (sparingly). Use a plastic scrapper with a beveled edge (like a small putty knife)...once it softens gently lift it away.

Do not use a razor blade under any circumstance. No matter how careful you are it will scratch the aluminum.

jrtaylor6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Tuscaloosa Al
Acetone will break the SuperGlue bond, however I have no knowledge of what it may do to to the base aluminium. So use acetone sparingly and cautiously apply it sparingly with a Qtip.

Even though SuperGlue is incredibly strong, it has one weakness: acetone...

I think this is what Im going to try. Because its only like a 1cm diameter so its not that large. Also this seems like the safest thing to try first.

Thanks

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
test on a similar surface first

MBA is made of anodized aluminum. Find something similar that you don't care about (your friend's MBA :D) and drop some Crazy Glue on it. Let it cure for a day, then try whatever remedy you have.

If all else fail, try adding fresh Crazy Glue to it as Crazy Glue is its own solvent.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
anodized aluminium is pretty though stuff, acetone won't harm it. If your really worried, get the old iPhone 1st edition out and try it... :D

bluez3

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
Don't get the acetone on anything plastic or rubber, it will marr it beyond repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.