Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
since i upgraded to tiger (i got it last night at the launch) my cpu has been running at 100% pretty much non stop.

at first i thought it was an spotlight indexing everything - it finished and then it stopped for a little while, and then right back up to 100%.
I then thought it may be an application I am running that is having issues, so i closed all applications and have left them closed for hours now - and still 100% cpu usage.

this machine is a 12" 867mhz Powerbook, with 640mg ram. Activity monitor shows plenty of ram that isnt being used, so it isn't a paging to disk sort of issue - I would imagine. The machine has been kept in a cool, room with airconditioning, and is well venilated (on a wood desk not carpet etc).

any thoughts?

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
It's the mds and mdimport processes. It's scanning your system for metadata to use with spotlight. It will stop after a bit.

Regards,
Steven

matthutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
it was showing that VshieldCheck was using 90% of the cpu, does anyone know what this is? i quit the process and now am running on something like 10% usage.

i might restart and see if it comes back on when after that.

it isnt the mdimport and the other md processes as they finished ages ago and are using practically no cpu time.

thanks any way though

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
eva01 said:
sounds to me like Virex

And your ears are not deceiving you!

matthunch, Virex isn't compatible with Tiger. Disable it, and remove it. Sounds like you did an "upgrade".

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
i did an upgrade, and got the same kind of problem. But i guessed that it had to do with spotlight, and its indexing of all the meta-tags, and info. my computer quit running at full boar about an hour afterwards.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Getting into the habit of using Activity Monitor, typing in 'top' in a Terminal window or using a third party CPU-use-in-menu-bar utility is something I have always found essential.

Plenty of programs have 'gone rouge' on me before and try to grab as much CPU as possible and I would hate not to notice them. I'm very picky and a bit of a control freak, I found it unacceptable when a Dashboard Widget I downloaded was using all free CPU for about 10 seconds, when dashboard wasn't even open. I will not be using that widget again.

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
TMA said:
Getting into the habit of using Activity Monitor, typing in 'top' in a Terminal window or using a third party CPU-use-in-menu-bar utility is something I have always found essential.

Plenty of programs have 'gone rouge' on me before and try to grab as much CPU as possible and I would hate not to notice them. I'm very picky and a bit of a control freak, I found it unacceptable when a Dashboard Widget I downloaded was using all free CPU for about 10 seconds, when dashboard wasn't even open. I will not be using that widget again.

What was the Widget...so we all don't load it.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
REMOVE VIREX

matthutch said:
it was showing that VshieldCheck was using 90% of the cpu, does anyone know what this is? i quit the process and now am running on something like 10% usage.

i might restart and see if it comes back on when after that.

it isnt the mdimport and the other md processes as they finished ages ago and are using practically no cpu time.

thanks any way though

spotlight should vinf a VIrex uninstall.... that is the problem - I know from personal experience....

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
NevadaJack said:
What was the Widget...so we all don't load it.

MetOffice. Was hoping to find a better Weather Widget for the UK since the default Tiger one doesn't list anywhere nearer than 20 miles away.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I had the Monkey TV schedule widget installed and it was pegging the CPU indefinitely. Using top, it was listed as Python grabbing all the cycles but disabling the tv widget killed it. It's a neat widget but there's obviously a major bug there, it just seems to be running some Python process in an endless loop.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It rarely if ever happens in Panther 10.3.9 or in Tiger. It used to occur when Finder would take up 200% CPU cycles, but doesn't much anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.