PDA

View Full Version : Any recommended USB speakers that I can connect to my 2011 MBA?

dmk1974
Sep 24, 2011, 09:41 AM
For my 2011 MBA 11" (which I really like!), I connect it to a 24" monitor when at my desk along with the power connector and a USB hub (so 3 connections each time I use it in a desktop setting).

I'd like to find a good set of USB speakers that I can connect to that hub basically just to avoid a 4th connector each time I use the MBA at my desk. Are there any recommended options out there? Budget-wise, I'd like to target between $20-$75 and no subwoofer (just a decent speaker pair with good sound). Thanks!

ChristianJapan
Sep 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
I would avoid any additional cable on MBA; would be an Airport Express an Option ? Sound output via WiFi and AirPlay ?

dmk1974
Sep 24, 2011, 09:51 AM
I would avoid any additional cable on MBA; would be an Airport Express an Option ? Sound output via WiFi and AirPlay ?

Well, when at my desk, I've already got the one USB connection to the hub (which has printer, iPhone cord, webcam, and logitech keyboard/mouse transmitter). So that's why I was thinking USB speakers that would go into that same hub and then its not an additional connection each time. I've also seen this Logitech Z515 speaker which is wireless, though mixed reviews in some cases.

Tomorrow
Sep 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
Just a thought, Bluetooth speakers might be an option here as well.

dmk1974
Sep 24, 2011, 10:30 AM
Just a thought, Bluetooth speakers might be an option here as well.

Correct...that Z515 I mentioned above is BT wireless as well.

kimbermatic
Sep 24, 2011, 03:54 PM
One of those purchases I really questioned, but have not regretted at all.

I use it on my iPhone and also for the MBA.

http://www.jawbone.com/speakers/jambox/overview

3dflyboy1
Sep 24, 2011, 04:02 PM

expensive!!! :eek:

NeuralControl
Sep 24, 2011, 09:34 PM

How loud can it get without breaking up? I realize this isn't a massive stereo system, but I'm curious if it's enough to pack a punch for a bedroom or office.

tsubikiddo
Sep 24, 2011, 11:31 PM
I'd like to find a good set of USB speakers that I can connect to that hub basically just to avoid a 4th connector each time I use the MBA at my desk. Are there any recommended options out there? Budget-wise, I'd like to target between $20-$75 and no subwoofer (just a decent speaker pair with good sound). Thanks!

I was so focus on the USB connection aspect and was going to mention the Bose Companion 5 until I see OP's budget.
Umm... I am not aware there are many options out there that utilize the USB connection at OP's nominated price range.

Apple OC
Sep 24, 2011, 11:37 PM
depending on your taste ...

orfeas0
Sep 25, 2011, 05:47 AM
I recommend the x-mini pro II. They're 50$ and produce amazing sound (WITH subwoofer, though). The only "drawback" is they're connect with the 3,5mm headphone jack.
But there's also the x-mini (v1.1) which can be connected with both 3,5mm jack and usb, and is 25$.
I have owned both (currently only the pro II) and they are great, with a battery that lasts for days and can be charged through usb.

aziatiklover
Sep 25, 2011, 05:53 AM
Lenovo have some decent one for cheap.

alecgold
Sep 25, 2011, 06:35 AM
Depending on your budget?
an Apple thunderbolt display, quite handy, I've got one and I love it
or Genelec's 8020d, really nice, even and transparent sound, but not USB, I'm afraid.

ChristianJapan
Sep 25, 2011, 08:42 AM
depending on your taste ...

nothing wrong with Anpan-Man; this little guy has even a museum in Yokohama.

dmk1974
Sep 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
Well, my Best Buy had one Z515 left on clearance for $69.99 so I picked it up. Very easy setup and works so far so good when tested with iPod and the MacBook Air. It's not a Bose by any means, but hopefully will do the job to give better sound when at my desk compared to the built in Air speakers.

Tagline
Sep 25, 2011, 03:07 PM
Well, my Best Buy had one Z515 left on clearance for $69.99 so I picked it up. Very easy setup and works so far so good when tested with iPod and the MacBook Air. It's not a Bose by any means, but hopefully will do the job to give better sound when at my desk compared to the built in Air speakers.

Actually, that is a very very good thing :D

kimbermatic
Sep 25, 2011, 10:59 PM
How loud can it get without breaking up? I realize this isn't a massive stereo system, but I'm curious if it's enough to pack a punch for a bedroom or office.

I listen to mostly Audio books or Streaming audio, but music goes full volume without distorting. Yes it is expensive, but I wouldn't have been able to paint the house this summer without the portability of these speakers.

hfg
Sep 25, 2011, 11:34 PM
FWIW: Amazon has the Logitech Z515 Speakers at $55 right now.

-howard

dmk1974
Sep 26, 2011, 06:44 AM
So far I'm pretty content with the sound of the Z515's. But one issue I am having, and perhaps it's because it's a bluetooth connection, is that I am getting a lag in the sound. For iTunes music you don't notice, but when playing any video (streaming, YouTube, or a recorded video), there is a slight lag in sound to the video. Is this a common BT issue perhaps?

Tomorrow
Sep 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
So far I'm pretty content with the sound of the Z515's. But one issue I am having, and perhaps it's because it's a bluetooth connection, is that I am getting a lag in the sound. For iTunes music you don't notice, but when playing any video (streaming, YouTube, or a recorded video), there is a slight lag in sound to the video. Is this a common BT issue perhaps?

I once had a BT mouse (Kensington) do the same thing, and I've noticed the same lag when I connect my phone to my car stereo via BT. So it's quite possible.

Interesting to note, my Magic Trackpad doesn't have this lag.