PDA

View Full Version : I think I may be screwed

soupalicious
Sep 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
So, i recently purchased a new iMac and had been using my PowerBook G4 previous to that.

Today i decided that i was going to do a fresh install of the software using a back up disk image of Leopard that i had saved for just this occasion.

What i ended up doing is wiping the hard drive completely, and the now the machine won't start up from the boot cd that i made with the previously mentioned disk image.

I have tried installing from my new machine to the old machine by connecting the two via firewire, but when the installer restarts my machine, i get a kernel panic error (so, essentially it isn't letting me boot the new machine from the install disk that i made).

Is there anyway, outside of tracking down and purchasing a retail copy of Leopard, to get this machine back up and running?? :(

DewGuy1999
Sep 24, 2011, 04:41 PM
I can't tell from your description which Mac is doing what, please clarify. Also, the Leopard disc image where is it? On an external hard drive, optical media, etc.? What was the Leopard disc image made from?

MacSince1990
Sep 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
So, i recently purchased a new iMac and had been using my PowerBook G4 previous to that.

Today i decided that i was going to do a fresh install of the software using a back up disk image of Leopard that i had saved for just this occasion.

What i ended up doing is wiping the hard drive completely, and the now the machine won't start up from the boot cd that i made with the previously mentioned disk image.

I have tried installing from my new machine to the old machine by connecting the two via firewire, but when the installer restarts my machine, i get a kernel panic error (so, essentially it isn't letting me boot the new machine from the install disk that i made).

Is there anyway, outside of tracking down and purchasing a retail copy of Leopard, to get this machine back up and running?? :(

A new iMac isn't going to boot off a Leopard CD, because it's newer than anything the Leopard CD has on it, and as a result isn't actually supported due to a lack of required components.

You'll have to get a Snow Leopard (and probably a later version), or Lion DVD to boot and install an OS.

AdrianK
Sep 25, 2011, 02:36 AM
A new iMac isn't going to boot off a Leopard CD, because it's newer than anything the Leopard CD has on it, and as a result isn't actually supported due to a lack of required components.

You'll have to get a Snow Leopard (and probably a later version), or Lion DVD to boot and install an OS.

OP, are you using target disk mode? Otherwise this^ would be the issue.

BigDukeSix
Sep 25, 2011, 09:44 AM

I am confused. Were you wiping and reinstalling Leopard on your Powerbook, or trying to put Leopard on your new iMac? And, what were you using as a source for Leopard that you were trying to put on your Powerbook?