PDA

View Full Version : Ripping DVDs

Jenja
Sep 24, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone!
I have some questions. When I rip DVDs to my macbook air my fans run at 6500rpm and my CPU is at 95 degrees celsius! That's really hot. My CPU usage while ripping is at 94-98%.
Is there anyway that I can set a limit on my CPU usage to like 80% so the ripping will get slower but my CPU will run a bit cooler?
On basic use I never need more then maybe 10-20% of my CPU so it wouldn't hurt me if my Air couldn't perform to 100% if it runs a bit cooler at high CPU tasks.

ZBoater
Sep 24, 2011, 06:54 PM
Why are you concerned? Are you afraid your CPU will break if it runs that hot? Don't be. It can take it. :apple:

macneubie
Sep 24, 2011, 08:31 PM
ripping DVDs shouldn't be that cpu intensive. only conversion to other video formats does.

quasinormal
Sep 25, 2011, 12:59 AM
ripping DVDs shouldn't be that cpu intensive. only conversion to other video formats does.

It would appear the OP is using a program like Handbrake (with VLC) to rip to H264.

An Elgato Turbo.264 would ease the load on your CPU.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.html

Edit. You need to rip the DVD first to a TS File with the Turbo.

mrsir2009
Sep 25, 2011, 01:27 AM
So? My MacBook Pro has gotten up to 105 degrees C. Months later no problems have arisen.

DarwinOSX
Sep 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
That is normal for ripping DVDs. It won't hurt anything.

----------

It is in fact CPU intensive because it is breaking the encryption.

macneubie
Sep 25, 2011, 06:56 PM
That is normal for ripping DVDs. It won't hurt anything.

----------

It is in fact CPU intensive because it is breaking the encryption.
with the advancement in cpu processing, brute force searching the decryption key shd be a piece of cake . once the decryption key is found for the dvd, it simply applies the same key to the rest of the vob files.